Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2015 Baja 1000 - Class 11
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sixty2vdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: 2015 Baja 1000 - Class 11 Reply with quote

I went to see the Baja 1k and noticed every single class 11 VW was a DNF. I'm guessing that the reason for that is that SCORE didn't allow enough time for this class to reach a certain or certain checkpoints. I'm hoping someone here knows the story on this as I find it hard to believe that all 7 of the entrants never crossed the finish line at all.

If being timed out is the case, it leads me to believe that SCORE International doesn't give a crap about this class anymore which to me is a part of history. While I was there I was thinking about running a class 11 in a few years from now, but if SCORE no longer gives a crap then I don't want to waste my time. I'm guessing they only care about Trophy Trucks and other faster vehicles.

Anyway, I enjoyed talking with Romy in the 1107 Desert Dingo VW before the race. Cool dude Cool
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 2015 Baja 1000 - Class 11 Reply with quote

It is because the time expired that is why it is listed as a DNF. 3 finished in total on a very rough course. Score should have made it an Official finish and issued trophys. All three cars were running close all night and all 3 made the decision to go to the end even though nobody was at the finish line when they arrived. Shame on Score they should have made an exception to the time limit. The first one in had even rolled and still chugged on to the finish. These 3 class 11 showed what this is all about and team effort and solidarity in that class... Like it used to be when I raced that class. Kudo's to them! It was a very rough course even Eric Solorzano an All time class 11 champion for many years. The Master himself did not finish. Only 3 finished but way outside of the time of 33 hours. This class will fight to stay viable I am sure if Score tries to put a end to them. Alot of Score racers I think would really step up and be vocal about it if that was a plan. The days of large amounts of class 11 entrys are over but not the class there will still be the few, the tough, the poor and the adventurous that will still want this addiction lol.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 2015 Baja 1000 - Class 11 Reply with quote

There were tons of really good cars that DNF because to how rough this course was -- --

One of my friends said he was going to the dentist Monday to get all his fillings checked
baja kid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 2015 Baja 1000 - Class 11 Reply with quote

It was a tough course this year as Baja always is, however I believe it was simply due to lack of time. I worked with BFG and we where at PIT location one approx at RM 135. Saw this class 11 roll through late around 10pm and we worked on the car repairing the skid plate and the tie rods than we sent him on his way to try and finish the remaining 700+ miles. Fun times as baja always is hope to see more interest in class 11 also but the UTV and side by side class is the new and upcoming class. Anyways enjoy the pic!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=243718
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 2015 Baja 1000 - Class 11 Reply with quote

That was Eric.. He is a long standing class 11 champion for many years. and he did not make it very far before breaking down for good. looks like he was running his swingaxle 67 again this time.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
baja kid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 2015 Baja 1000 - Class 11 Reply with quote

oldschool5er wrote:
That was Eric.. He is a long standing class 11 champion for many years. and he did not make it very far before breaking down for good. looks like he was running his swingaxle 67 again this time.

The driver and co pilot where in good spirits however only 135 miles into the race and the car was pretty thrashed and we (BFG Pits) made our best effort to straighten up a few things, bummer to find out he didn't finish. Class 11 is always my favorite class, I have great respect for these guys and its amazing what these cars car accomplish. There is always next year!!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=243718
sixty2vdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 2015 Baja 1000 - Class 11 Reply with quote

Just got back to Oahu, great replies guys!

Being there at the Baja watching really made me want to be in it, but I have this feeling that SCORE is trying to weed out the class 11's due to the bigger money, faster speeds, & increased popularity in other classes. Saturday morning they were already packing up their crap, and I left Ensenada not impressed with SCORE's agenda at all. Double the entry fees of other classes wasn't enough, so now it appears to me that they're making it nearly impossible for class 11's to make the checkpoints in time.

Anyway, at least a few class 5 Baja's made their way to the finish line in time to be recognized, 3 total I think. About half of the the total field of all combined race entrants didn't make it, so that's quite an accomplishment.

I'm hoping to move to San Diego in a little over 3 years from now. My fiance lives there and it's getting rough for the both of us travelling back and forth from San Diego to Hawaii. Her brother lives in Ensenada and I love going there. I would absolutely love to run a race there some day, I just hope that SCORE doesn't take that hope away from me VW Logo
arsalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 2015 Baja 1000 - Class 11 Reply with quote

hi my name is Armando Salazar. i part for race team H12:one, We run a 1969 vw class 11, for this race we was passs for many problems

this is the link if you read more about for the Baja 1000 2015

enjoy Wink

http://www.teamh12one.com/2015/11/26/the-class-11-baja-820-something/

https://www.facebook.com/ArmandoSalazarPhotography...39/?type=3

sorry for my english Razz
EnjoyNukaCola
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 2015 Baja 1000 - Class 11 Reply with quote

If they really are trying to weed out the 11's then that's a real shame.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: