Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Charging system/running issues?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Generator okay, now running issues Reply with quote

periscopebill wrote:

Warmed up with the idle struggling and the generator light flickering, voltage at the battery: 12.19, didn't exceed 13.9/14 at higher rpms. The FI relay: 12.2, the fuel pump relay: 11.3. Should they both be reading over 12? I checked the MPS for fun too and it's holding vacuum just fine.

You are seeing voltage drop through the wiring. In an ideal universe you would read the same voltage as at the battery throughout the system but in real life you will have some losses. However making sure your electrical connections in those circuits are clean and tight and free of corrosion will reduce those losses to a minimum and make everything work better.

The reading at the fuel pump relay is a bit low for my liking, I would trace that wiring out and clean it up and test again.

Quote:

I retested the generator, at the crappy idle it was reading 10.9, and the highest reading I could get out of it was 19, but then I'm not sure what was happening because as I increased the rpms the meter would just show "1" and it wouldn't read anything else.

This is how a lot of meters show a reading above the selected scale. If you were on the 20-volt DC scale, and you get a reading of say 21v, it's off the high end of the scale so the meter will just show 1. Try increasing the scale to the next-highest option.

Quote:

Here's a video of the generator light flickering- which doesn't appear to be in sync with the generator rpms.

In the video it appears to me that the generator light is only coming on when the idle dips down below normal which would be expected, as the generator is not producing a charge at that low rpm. If it flickers at normal idle or higher rpms that would be an issue.

What do you have your idle speed set at normally? It sounds like it's idling way too low.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: