Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Here are the M-Codes:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

August 26

367: package including: m-361 plus m-20, m-24, m-90, m-142, m-175

m-361 package including: m-168, m-181, m-192, m-199

m-20: mph speedometer
m-24: sealed beam headlights, red taillight lenses
m-90: safety glass windshield
m-142: sliding door both sides???
m-175: overriders all models
m-168: 88 amp hour battery up to chassis#216190000
m-181: chrome hubcaps
m-192: body ready to be outfitted as a camper
m-199: swivel driver's seat (also used on flipseat westfalia campers)

m-056: steering/ignition lock
m-119: Eberspacher bn4 gas heater
m-139: sealed beam headlights, red taillight lenses
m-796: ?? (seen on U.S. '65 single cab,'65 swedish military DD sunroof kombi, '65 swedish model 263 singlecab, 2 french '65 kombis, '65 export model so-35 westy)

no port code: German delivery

523643: paint code as follows: 5=export model, 23=kombi 643=blue white over velvet green (seen on German delivery export '65 Dormobile)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Here is a comparison of the odd Westy fabrics. I really wanted to keep this bus as original as possible but I have exhausted my search for anything close.

my so-35:

so-23 walkthrough pic from the gallery:

They both have the same color green threads.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

In my attempt to document this westy before I "tear into it", I decided to try setting up the privvy tent and getting a few shots. When I first saw the bus, all the poles were inside but no tent. The day we picked it up, we were able to search around the property and found the privvy tent in a shed. Unfortunately the tent had been outside in the elements and is in very poor shape.

I've never set one of these up before but luckily I have the owner's manual with the instructions.

I also found this, jack bag possibly?? It's in poor shape too and I can see where it once had a strap sewed on the open end side.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Your tent doesn't seem to be too bad to me, I have seen much worse.
Especially for a yellow/grey one, I think those are less common?

The jack you posted was usually used only up to 1963 but if it was in there, you never know...
Split Buses didn't have jack bags from what I have seen, the jack were just stored loose under the front seat so maybe someone made it?
It looks perfect for the jack.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
abuspilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
Killer bus. Very jealous!

This says it all.

It is a really nice bus! Nice find.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

^^^^Thanks abuspilot!

EverettB wrote:
Your tent doesn't seem to be too bad to me, I have seen much worse.
Especially for a yellow/grey one, I think those are less common?

The jack you posted was usually used only up to 1963 but if it was in there, you never know...
Split Buses didn't have jack bags from what I have seen, the jack were just stored loose under the front seat so maybe someone made it?
It looks perfect for the jack.

The tent looks better in the photos. The top canopy piece is very weak and tears easily. I will probably try to patch the holes and reinforce it a bit if I can find some original canvas. That being said, I have never been so excited to find a wadded up pile of dirty old canvas!
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Great bus....any bus find/resurrection thread is awesome, but camper ones are the best!
katastrophenshutzwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Wonderful. Just wonderful.
Well done.
Cool
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Too bad about the tent itself. But on the bright side, nice to see a complete tent frame and mounting brackets. This thing just keeps getting better and better Very Happy I love what I am driving now but a hatch top Westy of some sort is my Bucket List Bus
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Quote:
Z
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:53 am Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat
Great bus....any bus find/resurrection thread is awesome, but camper ones are the best!

Thanks Z, campers are where it's at for me too!
Quote:
katastrophenshutzwagen
PostPosted: Yesterday 1:30 am Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat
Wonderful. Just wonderful.
Well done.
Cool

Quote:
Big Bill
PostPosted: Yesterday 8:12 am Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat
Too bad about the tent itself. But on the bright side, nice to see a complete tent frame and mounting brackets. This thing just keeps getting better and better Very Happy I love what I am driving now but a hatch top Westy of some sort is my Bucket List Bus

Thanks guys! In the picture below you can see how shrunken the canopy is. It's basically just sitting atop the frame. I was barely able to stretch the corners on. It's about 6" short from being able to slide the long poles through to attach front and back.

Besides the obvious fading, the tent sides and front fared better and are still in a usable state. I was happy to pick up a bbt re-pop awning from cip1:

The fit and quality is very nice. The material is lighter weight than the original but it was very easy to put up with my original poles and looks nice and fresh .
jjjjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

I wonder if you could find a way to gently attach a bit of weight around the perimeter of the top and let it sit for a while (weeks/month), if it would eventually settle/stretch enough that you could get the rear crossbow in place? I'm thinking of some 8' long 1" x 1" wood strips sandwiching the edge and held in place with some clamps. Then maybe attach some barbell weights tied to that with string.

Just thinking....

I spy a nice chandelier in there Smile
IG:j.stenner
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

I have stretched shrunken tents by soaking them with a hose and letting them dry on the frame.
Actually got a tent from a guy who sold his bus 20 years before, we picked it up on the way to a show. Set it up at the show and the canvas was too small for the poles that came with it. Turned out the poles I had with me for the tent I brought with were a little smaller and I could stretch the new white and dark red canvas over the old frame. It was very tight and bowed the poles in. So when we got home I set it up in the front yard on the slightly smaller poles, soaked it with a hose, and let it dry. Then it was not as tight.
So I unscrewed the poles a little ( the ones that go out from the sides were all the way in) and soaked it again, and let it dry again.

Then it relaxed some more, and I was able to set it up with the poles that came with it, and soak and dry a third time.

This fabric was in very good shape and really heavy and strong. With soft or ripped fabric I'd expect it would just rip.

If my tent gets wet, I let it dry thoroughly before taking it down. That doesn't always work, cause sometimes it rains. If a strong wind comes up, Greg likes to take the tent down.
If I have to take it down wet, I set it up in the garage when I get home and let it dry inside.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

jjjjack wrote:
I wonder if you could find a way to gently attach a bit of weight around the perimeter of the top and let it sit for a while (weeks/month), if it would eventually settle/stretch enough that you could get the rear crossbow in place? I'm thinking of some 8' long 1" x 1" wood strips sandwiching the edge and held in place with some clamps. Then maybe attach some barbell weights tied to that with string.

Just thinking....

I spy a nice chandelier in there Smile

That's a good idea, I may try that. The chandelier isn't really that nice Jack Wink Just something I came up with one late night Laughing

oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
I have stretched shrunken tents by soaking them with a hose and letting them dry on the frame.
Actually got a tent from a guy who sold his bus 20 years before, we picked it up on the way to a show. Set it up at the show and the canvas was too small for the poles that came with it. Turned out the poles I had with me for the tent I brought with were a little smaller and I could stretch the new white and dark red canvas over the old frame. It was very tight and bowed the poles in. So when we got home I set it up in the front yard on the slightly smaller poles, soaked it with a hose, and let it dry. Then it was not as tight.
So I unscrewed the poles a little ( the ones that go out from the sides were all the way in) and soaked it again, and let it dry again.

Then it relaxed some more, and I was able to set it up with the poles that came with it, and soak and dry a third time.

This fabric was in very good shape and really heavy and strong. With soft or ripped fabric I'd expect it would just rip.

If my tent gets wet, I let it dry thoroughly before taking it down. That doesn't always work, cause sometimes it rains. If a strong wind comes up, Greg likes to take the tent down.
If I have to take it down wet, I set it up in the garage when I get home and let it dry inside.

Thank you for the tips Clara! I tried laying it out on the driveway a few months back to gently clean it (canopy piece). After cleaning it ever so carefully, I picked it up to hang it on a couple of ladders and noticed it was tearing so easily from the exhisting holes. I let it dry and put it away until last week when I set it up for pictures. The two wedge pillows and the spare tire cover are also extremely fragile, when I first picked up one of the pillows my finger tip went right through it!
RHD Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Great bus Brandon! Really nice that THIS bus ended up with you. I know this thread will be an awesome follow Popcorn In addition to doing your buses right, your thread content is always very informative and inspirational for me and with great pics...

I've got to ask, who saw the ragtop first in Morro Bay...you or your dad? I'm inclined to think your dad is the hunter in the family. Laughing
I have some other projects I'd like to finish first and I want to drive this bus while I'm working on those to help stay motivated.
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

This is my current favorite thread.
Keep up the good work and photos!

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

^^^^Thank you J.pickens! ^^^ It's going to be a long process but I will see it through.

RHD Notch wrote:
Great bus Brandon! Really nice that THIS bus ended up with you. I know this thread will be an awesome follow Popcorn In addition to doing your buses right, your thread content is always very informative and inspirational for me and with great pics...

I've got to ask, who saw the ragtop first in Morro Bay...you or your dad? I'm inclined to think your dad is the hunter in the family. Laughing

Thanks Gary! It was just luck and timing that this bus ended up with me. It was close to home and we were the first to get out there to see it. Time hasn't been on my side lately (for about the last year) with work and family duties a constant. Hoping for 2016 to be a good year for more bus time!

I believe we both spotted the bug at the same time. We were in Morro Bay on the way down the coast on a road trip summer of '95. We spotted the bug parked on the street, not for sale. My offer was declined at the time because the owner said his son wanted it. For some reason the phone# of the owner stayed up on our bulletin board and a year later my dad tells me to call him again. I'm like: "yeah but the guy said his son is keeping it". Dad: "just call him anyway, it can't hurt". So I called him and ended up making a deal over the phone. The owner's son wanted it for nuthin' so he took my offer of $1,500 gladly since that was what he paid for the car. My dad is definitely the car hunter, I inherited my sickness from him for sure.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

The previous owner's family was kind enough to send me these pictures. I couldn't believe that smashed corner shot! I'm blown away by the repair that was done to it, from inside you can barely tell any damage had occurred. Also in the lower right photo you can see the spare tire table mount being used. Strange it appears the table has the gold trim like what the so-23's used. Also by this point in time the nose had been re-painted. The green was not matched very well. It has a very thin skim of bondo around the passenger headlight area which is checked now after decades in the elements. I would guesstimate these photos to be late 70's- early 80's judging by the two new looking motorcycles in the upper left picture.

xavi_242
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Nice Bus, and cool period pics!
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

xavi_242 wrote:
Nice Bus, and cool period pics!

Thank you Xavi! Next step will be interior disassembly and a lot of cleaning. I've been reluctant to remove the interior until I have more time to spend on this beast.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 28

Jump to: