Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Building a class 5 unlimited (prerunner) questions
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad henrikson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Building a class 5 unlimited (prerunner) questions Reply with quote

I'm building a class 5 from the ground up I've got a 64 body 6 over front beam 3x3 rear arms ect. My question is what length should I cut the rear torsion housing to? What length should I weld the rear arm pivots at? Any help would be great I'm going to be using rear coil overs
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/b]
Brad henrikson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a class 5 unlimited (prerunner) questions Reply with quote

Also if anyone has any pics of the floor portion of there chassis set up just looking for a good place to start. Thanks
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Building a class 5 unlimited (prerunner) questions Reply with quote

I see you have a decent chassis table and a new bender. Your fabrication skills just may be quite capable.

But considering the frame and chassis design questions you're asking, I suggest you look into buying a Crumco chassis.

(661) 264-1327 and look them up on Facebook.

My son driving a car in the Mint 400 that he helped build when he worked at Crumco.

Look at their product and check their very good prices. But don't call asking them how to build it yourself. That would be rude. Either buy their product or don't. Know that its race and play proven in quality materials at a price competitive with many less complete CREW play buggy frames. They even include fitting it into your body shell in their price.

The beam you have may be fine.

But the remains of the front clip is horrendous with so many things just wrong it's not even worth starting to list them.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brad henrikson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Building a class 5 unlimited (prerunner) questions Reply with quote

Thanks for the info on buying a chassis but I've already got the bom and look forward to building it myself. The excess tube on the front beam came with it I did not do that work. I'm a full time welder so I'm not to worried about the fab work. I just need some measurement to get started
Brad henrikson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a class 5 unlimited (prerunner) questions Reply with quote

Maybe someone can answer this question do I want the same rear width as front?
Iguana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: Building a class 5 unlimited (prerunner) questions Reply with quote

Good luck with the Build, always more fun to build and buy.

I am running 11 deg box's at a 48" rear torsion with Coil Overs and custom 3x3 arms. If you are using stock VW style then you will want 15 deg but you will also want a shorter housing if you are keeping your pivot angle in line to reduce binding.

The Pivot folds you have will be made for 15 degree and make sure when you put them on your don't clock them as it is all proportional.

The style of spring plate eliminators you have are not correct so you will get binding but it is minimal

My fronts are always 1/2" wider than my rear for tracking purposes.

Being able to weld is half the battle, being able to understand what you are doing is the other. Take your time, understand what you are looking to do and measure lots.

When I set up the bare tubes like what you have there I run 0 degree camber at ride height and clock the box's 2 deg down.

I make my own Pivot Box's as I want a different angle to most

You also need to work out what you are doing for rear arms as that will effect a lot of the geometry, I am using custom ones as I didn't care to much for the off the shelf options.

Brad henrikson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Building a class 5 unlimited (prerunner) questions Reply with quote

Thank you for your help I'll keep up to date with progress
Iguana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a class 5 unlimited (prerunner) questions Reply with quote

Brad henrikson wrote:
Thank you for your help I'll keep up to date with progress

No probs if you need any more info just ask, I survive by doing good work not trying to make it hard for others to benefit from my experience or pretending it is all some sort of black art.

Most of the time I have at least one chassis on the table and several more under build so should be able to provide pictures etc for most things.

When building it is all about geometry and strength keep that in mind and your end result will be worth the effort.
KrAzY-BaJa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a class 5 unlimited (prerunner) questions Reply with quote

you are starting from nothing and no torsions. i would suggest to start by not using the original style pivots. run the dual parallel arms and never have to worry about the arch of the arms. also easy to make.
then go with micro stubs

just a random link to first pic i can find
http://www.4x4brasil.com.br/forum/gaiola-baja-e-bu...ink-2.html
ForYotaWagen: A Ford/Toyota/Volkswagen http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4871576&highlight=#4871576
Iguana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a class 5 unlimited (prerunner) questions Reply with quote

Just keep in mind with Zero Pivots you will get Zero camber change through out travel so it will drive worse on the road and have a tenancy to edge out.

If you have no limits I would go with at least 6 or 7.

Zero is fine in offroad race cars but I would never do it in a dual sport
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a class 5 unlimited (prerunner) questions Reply with quote

Iguana wrote:
Just keep in mind with Zero Pivots you will get Zero camber change through out travel so it will drive worse on the road and have a tenancy to edge out.

If you have no limits I would go with at least 6 or 7.

Zero is fine in offroad race cars but I would never do it in a dual sport

I agree with Iguana here.

Rick Crumb of Crumco is set on kill for what some call parallel pivots and always tries to sell me on them. He doesn't get that I wanted to build a car that way back in the 1970s, but didn't because I wanted cars to corner as well as go over bumps. I agree with him that they're great for a Class 5 unlimited car where your primary handling concern is how the car reacts to bumps, but not good for all situations or all uses like how the car goes around corners. There are perfectly good reasons why VW, Porsche, BMW, Nissan, Toyota, Alfa Romeo, and all sorts of other car companies use similar rear suspension pivot angles when it would be simpler, and cost less to build what Iguana called "Zero Pivots". It just doesn't corner near as well as the angled pivots do.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KrAzY-BaJa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a class 5 unlimited (prerunner) questions Reply with quote

i know your cornering but you set your camber in the arm then it never changes..
with regular stock mounts is so magnified with bigger arms
if your height is to high its \ /
and to low your / \
ForYotaWagen: A Ford/Toyota/Volkswagen http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4871576&highlight=#4871576
Iguana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a class 5 unlimited (prerunner) questions Reply with quote

KrAzY-BaJa wrote:
i know your cornering but you set your camber in the arm then it never changes..
with regular stock mounts is so magnified with bigger arms
if your height is to high its \ /
and to low your / \

Are you talking on zero Degree ? If yes then yeah you could set your camber in the arm.

If not then when you build the arms you set your camber at a set height, for example zero at right height and then you set the camber change throughout travel by variation of the inner pivot angle.

You can't really control camber in the arms as such you can only set it at one point in the arc, control is the pivots job.
KrAzY-BaJa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a class 5 unlimited (prerunner) questions Reply with quote

Iguana wrote:

Are you talking on zero Degree ? If yes then yeah you could set your camber in the arm.

If not then when you build the arms you set your camber at a set height, for example zero at right height and then you set the camber change throughout travel by variation of the inner pivot angle.

You can't really control camber in the arms as such you can only set it at one point in the arc, control is the pivots job.

dual pivots that are parallel. the set camber is in the arm it never changes in the arc loke class 1 buggys run and some 12-10 cars

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: