Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Im ordering a new Toyota, looking for the best way to get a
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Im ordering a new Toyota, looking for the best way to get a Reply with quote

Im just about ready to order a new 2016 Tacoma. Currently on my 3rd 4runner now, its a 98 w/ 184K miles. I keep my cars a long time. There is almost no inventory on the Tacomas on lots and Im mixing some packages together to get everything I want. I need to order it. 2 dealers have told me if you order it there is no option other than to pay MSRP. Not 100% sure this part is true. They are popular trucks and they dont discount them much. Ive checked on Costco auto plan and TrueCar.
If anyone knows how to save a couple grand im all ears. No need to debate buying used, 2016 is a new interior, motor, exterior. No need to tell me to buy American, they are made here. Just looking for the least expensive way to buy/order a new Tacoma. Thanks
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Im ordering a new Toyota, looking for the best way to ge Reply with quote

I myself have a 96 Taco and the Ol' Lady drives an '07 Taco 4-door. Great trucks.
As popular as they are, I'm not sure you're gonna be able to swing a deal on a special order. If you don't pay it, the next guy coming in probably will. Supply and demand, right. These trucks are in demand. Maybe if you can get 2 dealerships fighting for your business, but that's all I got for ya.
Enjoy your new Taco!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Im ordering a new Toyota, looking for the best way to ge Reply with quote

knowing what I know of the car biz, there is little to no profit in selling new cars. I wouldn't be surprised that you will be paying full nut for the truck seeing you have mixed/matched trim levels.

if you want something from GM's COPO program, you pay what they ask...no questions.

perhaps someone with Toyota knowledge will step in, but I think you will end up paying msrp

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Im ordering a new Toyota, looking for the best way to ge Reply with quote

There are major misconceptions that dealers rake in the money on new cars.. ..
Very little profit in new cars.. so unless the manufacturer offers rebates not too much wiggle room for the dealers to make money and still save you money.

If you want to special order a new vehicle to your specs... you can and will pay the near full price.. No discounts.
It makes no difference of the brand make.. when you walk in a dealer to purchase new and the way you want it.. .. they got ya..

Never ever buy the first year of a newly redesigned model..
Plus you can save more after the new wears off.

Save some new, buy what's on the lot.. and near the end of the calendar (late Dec) year..or model year change over (July/Aug) may save you a little.
Want to save more..... buy certified used and/or off lease.

Just cause they are assembled in the USA doesn't make them American..

That's the facts..

Practice by trying to negotiate a Whopper down in price...... see how that goes...

Have it your way..
Buy at the your price

Pick one.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67SingleCabGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Im ordering a new Toyota, looking for the best way to ge Reply with quote

First your in the wrong forum. Go to the 3rd Gen Tacoma forum here:https://www.tacomaworld.com/forums/3rd-gen-tacomas-2016.186/

Second you've got 3 responses already and all of them are wrong. Although one is half wrong.

Third go to NadaGuides and find the Invoice price the dealer is paying for the truck.

I'm on my third week of owning a 2016 Tacoma and while some dealers wont budge off of MSRP and some will budge a little off of MSRP there are plenty that will sell for Invoice. Your goal is to find them. Again go on the Tacoma forum and there are plenty of threads there telling you who paid what and where.

Invoice on my truck was $2,100 lower than MSRP. On my first visit they came down $500 off of MSRP. On my second visit they came down $1,200 off of MSRP. On my third visit I told them I wouldn't buy the truck unless they sold it for Invoice. The salesman went inside and printed out the Invoice price from their system. I already knew it from getting it on Nadaguides. He showed me the dealer Invoice print out which even included their Holdback amount, so I knew how much they were making on that. And thats what I paid.

Don't forget all dealers including Toyota receive Holdbacks from the mother ship. Toyota is 2%. On my truck it was roughly $800. You don't haggle on holdback.

So even is the dealer sells at Invoice they are still getting $800 from Toyota.

Finance some at the dealer as they will make a percentage of that. I got 2.9%.

There are plenty of people special ordering Tacomas on the Tacoma forum and paying Invoice.

Also you are partially wrong. Not all Tacomas are built here. Some are built in Mexico. First digit of the VIN=3=Mexico, 5=USA. Mine is 5.

You'll find a big debate on the Tacoma forum about build quality between US and Mexico if your interested.

Good luck, its a great truck.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Im ordering a new Toyota, looking for the best way to ge Reply with quote

"Dealer Invoice" is just as much of a scam as any other marketing tool used to sell you a new car. For many years all you heard about was "Employee Pricing"
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Im ordering a new Toyota, looking for the best way to ge Reply with quote

I will chime in on our Subaru Outback. Like you we did not want all the fluff dealers order. We ordered ours, went to a couple of dealers armed with information, Kelly Blue book, Nada Guide, Edmunds etc. compared all of the of the priced options. Told the dealers this is what we are going to pay period. Needless to say we did get the car for our price optioned the way we wanted. Stick to your guns, you will get the deal you want.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Im ordering a new Toyota, looking for the best way to ge Reply with quote

Thanks for the info all...and the link to tacomaworld scab guy. Thats a great site. Loads of info, too much maybe. Found out I cant get some of the things i want, so I cant "have it my way" no matter what Im willing to pay. (About $40K plus TTL. is my budget)
According to tacomaworld SoCal is really tough to get much better than MSRP-$500...if you are fortunate. Paying invoice is impossible. Going to research buying out of area and road tripping pickup.
1. No leather interior unless you get a Limited.
2. I can get any color cloth interior i desire ... as long as its grey. Sad
So ready to order the Limited, right. Oh, no 4X4 longbed on Limiteds. No hood scoop on the limited either. Dealer says I can get it from them, $1500 plus paint. Crying or Very sad No power seats on top of the line Limited WTF, my 98 4runner has power leather seats.
Im still researching...maybe a new 4Runner. Razz
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Im ordering a new Toyota, looking for the best way to ge Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:

So ready to order the Limited, right. Oh, no 4X4 longbed on Limiteds. No hood scoop on the limited either.

I hate that hood scoop, at least the one on the Ol' Lady's '07. It doesn't do anything except reflect the sun into my eyes. If you're gonna put speed holes your trucks, at least make 'em function.
I like my '96 way more that her '07. Hers is a pig.
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Im ordering a new Toyota, looking for the best way to ge Reply with quote

My Nissan van (NV 2500) was custom ordered and the dealer/ salesman did drop the price from the MSRP from Nissan's build site. The whole deal was a mess but we said what we wanted and the salesman went to the manger and came back with the lower price with no asking for it by me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Im ordering a new Toyota, looking for the best way to ge Reply with quote

You in California? I'd check with Longo toyota they are the number one volume seller in the entire United States. Also ck that toyota forum it's got a lot of good info. Tacomaworld. If you belong to a credit union some will have a service whereby they do the legwork finding the lowest price within a radius determined by you. The number two volume toyota dealer is in Florida. I've had a lot of Toyota trucks over the years. Currently driving a 06 X runner and 06 pre runner. Wife has a prius, our first prius is at 260k miles running strong all original including battery. Incidentally those hybrid batteries are 500 dollars with a one year guarantee now. So much for the oil company propaganda. Like everything else its all on YouTube.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Im ordering a new Toyota, looking for the best way to ge Reply with quote

Thanks 1432, Im only 10 miles or so from Longo. Yes have been in contact with their guy. The issue is the truck i want, as all Tacomas are, is rare. 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport, 4X4, Longbed, White, with Technology package (adds sunroof along with JBL stereo, Nav ) there are 2 in California, not So Cal but the whole state. I have swallowed the fact if I want that truck i have to pay MSRP. Not a big deal all the tacomas are selling from a few hundred below to several thousand over MSRP. My local contacts cant get the dealer that has the 1 truck within 100 miles to send it to them. Im calling San Diego. Cool
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Im ordering a new Toyota, looking for the best way to ge Reply with quote

Have you driven one yet? I have and was not impressed, but then again I didn't really get on and it only had 30 miles on the clock, maybe it will run better when it loosens up a bit. The new 3.5 does not develop as much torque as the old 4 liter. I do like the redesign both in and out though, I saw one on the road today looks good but I've got less than 200 k on my primary driver the 06 pre runner. With all the pre orders its only been a couple of weeks that you could see one at the dealership, these things are flying off the lot and they told me its MSRP priced here as well.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Im ordering a new Toyota, looking for the best way to ge Reply with quote

Yes, I had driven the new Tacomas. Concur its not a torque monster. Like most purchases like this it was a lot of what I wanted not needed. I have a 98 4Runner Limited with 184K miles...they say they will do 300K...so it has lots of life left. The 4Runner is now the "dog truck" and I have the nice truck for everything else.
By far the most info I found was on Tacomaworld so thanks SCAB guy for that tip!
I like the mid size, the new look and that its a Toyota.
So Friday I road tripped down to San Diego and made the deal on the truck. Payed MSRP, the only extra was a set of floor mats, $200. They took off the $2500 set of side steps I wouldnt pay for and I was satisfied. They also gave me good financing, 1% for 60 months, best my credit union offered was 2.99. Thanks for all the help.
ghia in the background because we are a VW site. Smile
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Im ordering a new Toyota, looking for the best way to ge Reply with quote

Full MSRP huh?

I miss the days when I sold cars and people would do that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: