Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

64 Single Cab restoration
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schutterman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: 64 Single Cab restoration Reply with quote

Hey everyone well it's that time. I have finally got myself motivated enough to start with the restoration of my 64 single cab. First a little history. I bought the truck three years ago from a buddy right away I stuck an engine in it I fix the running gear and I drove around for two summers straight. This is what she looked like when I got her.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

About July August last year I decided it was time to start getting it off the ground and on to a rotisserie. So I built my own with the use of engine stands. I was all geared up to start the resto last fall but I kind a got sidetracked. You know how that goes! LOL

Not too bad for a guy that tinkers at home.

So now we get to the present, I have began sourcing out metal from 1 concept in Calgary and with the help of my friend I have devised a plan of attack. You may know him he is a part of a VW club up in the greater Vancouver area, Joel Sanderson. He is been a real help in answering any questions I have and has give me the direction I need to restore this truck. First thing I'm doing is deal with the structural. So I started to cut out the rusted up cross braces and clean them up. I will be ordering the metal this week. I'll try to get some pictures up in the next few days.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Schutterman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject: 64 single cab restoration Reply with quote

I noticed I said 1 concept, I meant concept1. Oh and I will be picking up the parts there on Friday or Saturday. I'll be on my way out to Winnipeg from the West Coast to grab my new treasures that I found in the prairies a couple weeks ago, you can see pics on my gallery.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kalymnos Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with the resto, but I wouldn't trust that construction with the concrete blocks and motor stand.
glideking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! I will do what I can to help.
Kurt
1965 21 Window Restoration Thread (From old photos)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
1963 Panelvan build "Tyvanosaurus Wrecks"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8351639#8351639
Schutterman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: 64 single cab restoration Reply with quote

I probably should have posted a picture of the other side.
It's solid on those stands they hold a 1000 pounds each.

You can see I have a 4x4 taking the weight as well to help the stands from tipping.
Schutterman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:41 pm    Post subject: My first piece ever Reply with quote

Got my first piece of metal in today. In fact it's the first body work I have ever done. I built a adjustable beam a couple years ago, but other then that that's it for fabricating!!!!! It's been slow. This is all new to me, I am a rookie in the fullest sense. But like so many of us that love this hobby, we are all up to the challenge and the learning curve. So please help me in anyway.

In the last week I got all the cutting and grinding done on one of the main cross trusses(not sure what to call them haha). Today more prep and finally tack it in place HELL YEH. Have to say I was pretty stoked once I saw all welded up.

Had a bit of a tough time figuring out the volts to wire speed. I used the calculator on the welder but I think because it is plug welding it had to be more heat and wire speed. Started to get the hang of it after about half way. Then it went pretty smooth. Gotta clean up the welds and then on to the next truss.
nice dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My first piece ever Reply with quote

Schutterman wrote:
Got my first piece of metal in today. In fact it's the first body work I have ever done. I built a adjustable beam a couple years ago, but other then that that's it for fabricating!!!!! It's been slow. This is all new to me, I am a rookie in the fullest sense. But like so many of us that love this hobby, we are all up to the challenge and the learning curve. So please help me in anyway.

In the last week I got all the cutting and grinding done on one of the main cross trusses(not sure what to call them haha). Today more prep and finally tack it in place HELL YEH. Have to say I was pretty stoked once I saw all welded up.

Had a bit of a tough time figuring out the volts to wire speed. I used the calculator on the welder but I think because it is plug welding it had to be more heat and wire speed. Started to get the hang of it after about half way. Then it went pretty smooth. Gotta clean up the welds and then on to the next truss.

Nice job on the welds. Welcome to the party!
Schutterman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Cargo floor removal Reply with quote

I decided to change my plan thanks to Glidking lol. Have to say since I started reading his thread last week the motivation and drive to do a full nice clean resto has come to the fore. Thanks Kurt and nice work on Funky!

The cargo floor had cancer here and there, I could have pieced new metal in there but it just won't look as nice as that Ugly Green stuff. Two nice clean panels that's definitely the way to go........so Chop chop!!
Off comes that ugly orange WW metal from Brazil that came with the truck. I guess the PO didn't do his research on who to buy from. It was a blessing cause some of those spot welds I did didn't take on the cross beam. I'll blame the metal from WW. What a newbie. Lol

So I have a question for you all. Now that I got most of the cargo floor cut out, what would be the best way to remove the cargo floor flanges at the back engine separation panel and rear wheel wells. All the metal in those areas is in good shape and I don't want to ruin any of those areas. I guess things can always be reshaped, but I want to know the cleanest and easiest way. Should I just drill out the welds, grind? Should I drill from the back? What side should I drill from? Should I just cut close to the flange then drill out welds, should I wait till I get the deck off, etc.

Any help would be appreciated Smile
Schutterman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Single Cab restoration Reply with quote

Well I been able to get a little metal removed since my last post. I now have the cargo floor, some top hats, cross braces, long side rocker, treasure chest rocker, some of the doglegs, and some of the cab floor removed.

I'll get some more pics in the next day or so.
imtb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Single Cab restoration Reply with quote

Looking good, a lot of single cab action going on right now.
Schutterman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Single Cab restoration Reply with quote

Such a unique vehicle and so well put together. What I love is the looks you get from everyone..... 👍 they are like WT.... is that!!!

Here are some pics of some other areas I've had to remove.

Schutterman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Single Cab restoration Reply with quote

Enough destruction! I finally got my first piece of permanent metal in today! Was pretty stoked when I saw it all done. First ever patch in a never ending hobby. The passenger A pillar had a hole down near the dogleg.

Had to cut the hole way back to get something solid.

Ug those welds.......Sad

Now that I got that done, it's on to the cut out piece on the dogleg......to be continued
Rusties
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Single Cab restoration Reply with quote

Looking good Sean!
Keep it up!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: