Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tyler's '67 VG/PW Standard
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Tyler's '67 VG/PW Standard Reply with quote

Nice looking motor in a nice looking bus.
Tyler 5447
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Tyler's '67 VG/PW Standard Reply with quote

Scored the interior cargo door panel I needed today, along with a few others that are nicer than what I have. And also a pickup tube extension so I can get back to work on the motor even if the one I ordered doesn't show up before the holiday. Thanks for the hookup Pat.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

scooby_drew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Tyler's '67 VG/PW Standard Reply with quote

Don't forget to edit you signature! Nice find and keep pluggin away!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tyler 5447
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Tyler's '67 VG/PW Standard Reply with quote

scooby_drew wrote:
Don't forget to edit you signature! Nice find and keep pluggin away!

Good call. Done.
Tyler 5447
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Tyler's '67 VG/PW Standard Reply with quote

A little more progress today. I got the pickup tube extension in, the sump plate on, and the motor filled with oil. Checked the valves, static timing, and cranked over with the distributor unplugged to get oil and fuel moving. Then I got it to start. Pretty relieved that everything seems good. Now I need to do more research to figure out how the links for the Berg linkage are supposed to go. I also need to permanently mount the remote oil filter housing.

Also while searching in my parts stash I found a set of rear seat bottom mounting hardware. One less thing I need to buy and now my rear seat is fully mounted.
Tyler 5447
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Tyler's '67 VG/PW Standard Reply with quote

No progress on the bus today, too much snow and football on TV.

I decoded my m codes to compare to another thread, but I figure I might as well put that info here while it is fresh. There is some weird stuff going on here

425- usual U.S. Export stuff.

North American export package including
Twin reversing lights (may not always be true, depending on year)
MPH Speedometer
Sealed beam headlights
Hazard warning lights
Mountings for safety belts
Laminated windscreen
Ram protection (overrider bumpers)
Dual-circuit brake system

043-complies with Swiss market regs

081- walk through

114- 6 pop outs

139- sealed beams and red tail lamp lenses

It's got a UJ export code, which could be Jacksonville or possibly Honolulu? All the documentation I've seen on it goes to Los Angeles. I ordered a birth certificate on it last time I owned it but I am not sure where it is at the moment.
Tyler 5447
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Tyler's '67 VG/PW Standard Reply with quote

I spent the last few weekends working on the bus and I've run into some issues. The right side carb needs some work and the new motor has a couple noises that need investigated. I was running out of time if I was going to make it to Havasu, so I yanked the motor out of it on Sunday. I am dressing my spare 1776 to go in the bus hopefully this weekend. I am supposed to head to North Dakota for work this week, but the weather is postponing that trip so I'm not sure when I'll get it put back together.

All in all, it should be good to go for Havasu. All that is left is motor, brake fluid flush and adjust, trans and rgb oil change, and installing the long interior panel, and install some way to charge our phones.
FritzCP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Tyler's '67 VG/PW Standard Reply with quote

I have a pair of mesh grey armrests ill donate for the cause if you still need them. PM your address and Ill send them your way.
Fritz 70 - 6306 Bearing Puller
Fritz 44 - Dizzy Puller
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tyler 5447
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Tyler's '67 VG/PW Standard Reply with quote

volksheime wrote:
I have a pair of mesh grey armrests ill donate for the cause if you still need them. PM your address and Ill send them your way.

PM sent. Thanks!!!!
Tyler 5447
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Tyler's '67 VG/PW Standard Reply with quote

I finally got a chance to work on the bus today. I got my spare motor all dressed out, except for heater hoses and breastplate tin. I am still waiting on a nice German tin to come in the mail that I bought off the classifieds. I still have a stripped out oil strainer plate stud hole to fix. I think I have one or two stepped studs in my stash somewhere to take care of it. Other than that it should be good to go and I will hopefully get it installed during my Christmas time off.
Tyler 5447
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Tyler's '67 VG/PW Standard Reply with quote

I got off early on Wednesday, finished up the motor and got it installed. Then Thursday morning I got it tuned and running, and buttoned everything up. This thing is running awesome in this configuration.

Today we decided to take the bus to Christmas at my in-laws house. It didn't miss a beat and did great. It started snowing pretty heavy about and hour before we left and there was about three inches of fresh snow at the house by the time we got home. My wife's first ride in the bus longer than 5 miles also ended up being her first night time ride in the bus and heavy snow storm in the bus. I don't think she is looking forward to the Havasu trip very much.

Also, I received the armrests from Volksheime yesterday. They are awesome. Thanks a lot!! Hopefully I can get them in this weekend.
Tyler 5447
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Tyler's '67 VG/PW Standard Reply with quote

I got the long interior panel installed along with the armrests.

I also got the front cargo door panel installed.

Then I got the rear bumper put together and installed. I still need to get the splash pans mounted all the way.

Then finally I made a little bracket and installed two Blue Sea plugs, one with a 12v accessory receptacle and one with two USB ports. I mounted it under the dash using pre-existing holes.

Tyler 5447
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Tyler's '67 VG/PW Standard Reply with quote

So I didn't get everything done that I wanted to because I got stuck in North Dakota for work for two weeks. I did manage to get a bunch done on Saturday and Sunday. I fixed a stripped out sump plate stud, replaced the alternator pulley, lubed bus, checked tranny oil, adjusted brakes, adjusted tire pressures and re-torqued lug nuts.
We got all packed up this morning and headed out this afternoon heading towards Havasu. We made it into New Mexico and decided to stop at a KOA for the night.

The bus has done pretty good so far. It is leaking a little oil which is disappointing. Hopefully it doesn't get any worse.
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Tyler's '67 VG/PW Standard Reply with quote

Really nice Bus. Hope you got the heat working!
Tyler 5447
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Tyler's '67 VG/PW Standard Reply with quote

So we didn't get as far today as we planned. We made it to 5 miles west of Gallup when the brand new petronix svda crapped out. I burned a bunch of time diagnosing on the shoulder, but got it figured out. I got my spare 009 in there and it fired up. Tomorrow morning I have to tune it up and then hopefully make it all the way to Havasu.
Tyler 5447
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Tyler's '67 VG/PW Standard Reply with quote

We just made it home from Havasu. It was a fun weekend for sure. We took it slow coming home, because the three year old could only handle so much driving in a day before he started loosing his mind. Other than the burned out petronix, we didn't have a ton of trouble on the trip. The tranny input shaft seal is leaking pretty good, the oil pump cover is leaking, and I've got another oil leak somewhere under there. And the new Brazilian carb lost the set screw that goes on the throttle arm somewhere between Raton and Las Vegas on the way down. We stopped by Ronnie's shop Monday morning to get some more spare parts, but didn't need them. The drive home was pretty uneventful besides keeping the oils topped up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: