Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is the little tab on the rear seat support?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ExtremeBean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:37 pm    Post subject: What is the little tab on the rear seat support? Reply with quote

Little metal "tab". Looks like it holds something like some wires or what not. Just wondering what it's for.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the little tab on the rear seat support? Reply with quote

Is your car, perchance, a '62?

ExtremeBean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the little tab on the rear seat support? Reply with quote

It's a '59, but it's kind of a bastard. Have no idea if this piece is original or not
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: What is the little tab on the rear seat support? Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Is your car, perchance, a '62?

Another good photo of the odd ball 62 heater hose routing. Please post this photo with a comment in the link dealing with the 62. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=445797&highlight=heater+hose+routing

Thanks for the photo
ExtremeBean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the little tab on the rear seat support? Reply with quote

So this is still a mystery? I doubt it for the heater hoses as there is only one.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the little tab on the rear seat support? Reply with quote

On my '74, I have that clamp to hold up a part of the wiring (that's in a sheath).

Tim

Richard O'Brien
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: What is the little tab on the rear seat support? Reply with quote

Harris wrote:
Another good photo of the odd ball 62 heater hose routing. Please post this photo with a comment in the link dealing with the 62. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=445797&highlight=heater+hose+routing

Thanks for the photo

Where do you think I found the picture in the first place?
ExtremeBean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the little tab on the rear seat support? Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
On my '74, I have that clamp to hold up a part of the wiring (that's in a sheath).

Tim

What wiring..specifically?
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the little tab on the rear seat support? Reply with quote

I think mukluk had it right: in the original photo submitted, up closer to the top, you can see the rusty spot where the 2nd metal strap appears to have rusted off.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the little tab on the rear seat support? Reply with quote

Extreme, I'd have to lift up my rear seat to check. And I don't do that until the last dog dies, on account of it's being a bitch to get back in.

I just remember when I installed a battery block-off switch, I had to drill and rivet the cross bar. There was a harness, containing several wires that was routed through similar tabs as mentioned in this thread. My best guess is a wiring harness for the computer diagnostic system (no longer used), but it could have been for anything, as I seem to remember that my positive clamp on the + cable had an offshoot that went to who knows what; and perhaps a terminal in this harness went to that positive offshoot.

The short story is, I definitely remember the clamps supporting a wiring harness.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Bucky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the little tab on the rear seat support? Reply with quote

I used it to keep the wiring going from the battery positive terminal to the voltage regulator from flopping around under the seat in my '67.

"Got a lot to carry? Get a box."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: