Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Headliner and Carpet
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: Headliner and Carpet Reply with quote

Hello I'm wondering if someone could give me some suggestions as to where I can look for a carpet set and a headliner for a 73 Type 4. I'd prefer not to make patterns if I could help it. The headliner is most important. Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Headliner and Carpet Reply with quote

No options. No kits. Patterns and custom only.

I have a plan for a stitch free system that would look 90% of factory that I could outline. Have not gotten to it yet myself.

I have to repeat.....there are 0 chassis and interior parts kits for these cars. You have to fab everything.....but much of it is not hard or expensive. ....just tedious Cool Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Headliner and Carpet Reply with quote

Thanks Ray, any suggestions how to go about this with a headliner? I.e. Can I start with a passenger bus one and cut it down to size??
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Headliner and Carpet Reply with quote

You cant cut pre made headliners down. They have stitching...they have spacing and they have specific widths of panel and lengths of each panel between each bow.

15 years aho I bought a type 3 squareback and fastback headliner kit. I tried every permutation to make them work.....they wont. They went in the trash.

But I learned the differences between type 3 and 4, what they require and quite a few other details. And you can buy headliner material for cheap.

Here is what I am working on:

1. The bows set the dimension, angle and shape of the headliner. They have a specific shape...each....and spacing. When you are working on a headliner. ....measure the exact distance between each side mounting point for each bow. Then measure their fore and aft spacing from each other and from the front and rear,window openings. Then measure the dome height between each now end where it mounts on the ledges in the car.

2. With a decently large workspace......clamp down a pair of 2"x4" boards spaced far,enough apart to mimik the mounting ledges of the headliner and mark the end point of each bow on the boards. Drill holes or mount screws to hold down the bows. Adjust the height of the end mountings to duplicate the position of the bows in the car ....see where I am going?

To me....the tough part is getting,sewing done...and then....because the sewing now exists and makes the headliner have permanent lines and dimensions.....it forces installation to be exacting and tedious to make it fit.

3. So....understanding that with a stock headliner what you see from inside the car is the sewn seam running along each bow. Under than seam is sewn in underlay that slips onto the wire bows along with a few pieces or clips that form the liner around the corner angles. So its not the shape of the wire bow you see from the inside. That means that the actual edge shape of the wire bow is not that important to keep stock.

What I am proposing to do.....is to make two new pieces of wire for each stock bow. Carefully bend them to shape to match the stock bows. They will start with wire roughly,1/3 larger in diameter than the stock bows. I plan to clamp these together to make each pair of diplicate bows....a single unit.
Then....with an oscillating sander, files, tools, time etc.....sand the face of each wire in each pair......into a half round or "D" shape along its length. So....the flat side of the "D" shape of each wire goes against each other.

Then....you will acquire from a plastic supply 1/8" plastic rod in coils. It needs to be full width of the bows.

What you will do.....is to space your new bow pairs out on the 2"x4" assembly rack justclike they will be in the car. Buy your headliner material yardage. You start to apply it to the bows....on the center bow. Pull the headliner material upward ....between each pair of bows...from the cabin side. Then slip the plastic rod through the loop of material that will be hidden from view above the cabin.......so it wedges on the top side and does not allow the headliner to pull back down between the pair of wire bows....like a keystone.

Once you have adjusted the headliner fit betwen these bows to be smooth, have the holes aligned and have no wrinkles......you will clamp the two wire bows together with hog ring clips..probably have to make something but it wont be hard.

What you will see from below....is a fine tight seam where originally there was stitching.

Move on to repeat this on the next bow forward and then alternately the next bow aft.....alternately working the tension on each bow to make sure the center bow is not pulled out of alignment vertically. Once you have it right....then install the clamping clips for each bow pair and then move onto the next fore and aft bow and repeat. Be sure you leave plenty of excess material in the front rear and sides.

When you are done....remove the whole headliner as an assmebly to install in the car. Place the wire bows in the exact position the originals were in the car. Apply you goe and work the headliner into place. This will be easiest with all glass out.....but q normal headliner tuck tool should work fine.

Once its installed. ....practice heatong and shrinking excess headliner material with scraps to get the hang of it with a heat gun.....then heat the headliner startkngcjn the centercand working fore and aft ro lightly shrink the liner to add a little tension to it.

This is what I will be doing. Ray
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Headliner and Carpet Reply with quote

Thanks Ray, now I just need to find that material. I like the look of the VW headline with the 'pinholes' in it.
Pelle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Headliner and Carpet Reply with quote

Headliner: http://www.acmeautoheadlining.com/19vo4113dowa.html
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Headliner and Carpet Reply with quote

Pelle wrote:

Have you actually used this product from this company?

I can show you listings from about a half dozen companies who have identical listings...none of which produce a headliner that fits a 411/412....and none of them have a pattern. This has been the common issue with trying to find headliners for type 4 all of my life.
I always find another company that lists a headliner for 411/412....get down to the wire and find it its just a generic headliner kit...with issues.

There were at one time a large number generic headliner companies who simply made one pattern of headliner to be slipped over your bows and had excess material....none of which will fit a type 4.

Also back through the mid 90s...a few companies would have a listing for 411/412 headliner that showed the same part number as a type 3. They are not the same and a type 3 will not fit well enough to give a result that has a long lifespan or not be problematic...for the money.

I also suspect this to be one of the generic non-specific headliner companies partly because....... it lists 1955-1992 as the years for VW 411....a common issue with companies that do not have actual vehicle specific designs.

Here are some example of other listings for 411/412

http://www.stockinteriors.com/headlinerkit.asp?Ite...aQodOPMBVg

The picture they show is not even of a VW. I would also suspect from the wording that Acme manufactures theirs as well.

https://www.headlinerexpress.com/import-headliners...p-862.html

I will give this one credit for at least showing a picture of the correct car. They are using the same part # as the Acme site. But...they do not list any differences between the type 3 two door, wagon and notch back...all one kit for each year.....how well do you think those fit?

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.ph...j6cg5h6re4

Rockauto also lists headliners for 411/412....with the same Acme part #.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=1971+1973+Vo...7675.m4096

E-bat listing ...shows AAHC (acme automotive headliner company) as Brand/manufacturer.

Over the years...I have spent close to $1000 on headliner kits....all which were uninstallable due to improper pattern. Acme may indeed be able to make the correct product.....the problem is that the only way to find out is to buy it and try to install it. Usually after that....you cannot return it.

The question that you have to ask yourself is.... WHY....ACME or anyone else would possibly HAVE a correct pattern for ANY type 4 car...much less all of them. This same point will be brought up to you when you call SewFine or TMI and ask about headliner, carpet or seat covers. They will tell you:

1. If it were for any popular ...made by the millions VW aircooled car....TMI and Sewfine would go to the junkyards and make stock patterns to have products to sell you. There has been no demand for type 4 headliners.

2. These cars were imported from 1971 to 1974 in very limited numbers overall. They lasted long enough to get out of warranty and the vast majority got parked in the backyard when the transmission, engine or injection failed. Too costly to get rid off...and too costly to fix when out of warranty. On vehicles like this and out of warranty...little or no call for headliners.

3. There is little chance a company like ACME or others would just send out an army mapping headliners from vehicles on the streets or junkyards. They change virtually every year...and this car even when new was not common on the streets....why would anyone think to make a pattern for it?

4. There is about "0" chance that a pattern from a manufacturer exists in some port of portable document format...so its not like ACME just calls and collects them for their files.

But....you never know. They my just have the right kit. Its always possible that someone somehwere came into an ACME dealer with a car with a slashed headliner and needed to have a duplicate made so now they have a pattern.....but one for each years and type...I think unlikely.

Thank you for the link either way! If someone wants to give one a try...it would do the community a service.

Ray
Pelle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Headliner and Carpet Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Pelle wrote:

Have you actually used this product from this company?

Yes! Itīs installed in the 411
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Will try to make some interior pictures so you can see the result.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Headliner and Carpet Reply with quote

Fantastic! Can you show some pictures please? Some installation details would be nice as well. Thank you!
Ray
Pelle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Headliner and Carpet Reply with quote

Found a picture, the actual installation was made by a good friend and neighbor that happens to be knowledgeable in the upholstery department Smile .

He also made some new carpets and managed to reuse the original blue grommets.

The owner of the car might have some more pictures.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Headliner and Carpet Reply with quote

That headliner looks nice enough that I would say the kit is pretty good! Thank you!

I reuse the grommets and rubber pads on carpet the same way. Ray
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Headliner and Carpet Reply with quote

Pelle, Which vendor did you get the headliner from? I noticed Acme only sells wholesale and none of their distributors list it.

***Update: ordered it from Rock***

Last edited by ClassicCamper on Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:37 pm; edited 3 times in total
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Headliner and Carpet Reply with quote

Ordered headliner from Rock Auto. Wish me luck. Laughing Thanks for the tip, Pelle. Ill keep you posted.
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Headliner and Carpet Reply with quote

Hello Pelle!

Where did you find original(?) carpet material? (At lest it looks very original to me.)

I'd need bamboo but even black would be better than nothing, which is the situation now.

I'd buy that by the yard if I just knew where: I've some of the original plastic pieces left, only the carpet is so destroyed it can't be used as a template anymore.

But that's a secondary problem, first problem is the material itself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: