Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Enjoying The Fall
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Enjoying The Fall Reply with quote

If you have a choice: Don't drive your beetle when there is salt on the roads. The salt will cause rust.
Or buy a winter beater.

Otherwise use a good rust-protector.
I am going to use Fluid-Film. Easy to apply, and I've read good things about it. But I haven't driven with it in the salt yet...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Enjoying The Fall Reply with quote

If you have a show car, I definitely wouldn't take it out. You also get chips in the paint, from the salt being thrown from other vehicles.

(They may use sand also, but here in Ottawa they use 100% pure white salt that maximizes the corrosion effect).

Even with rust-protector, the salt water may get into unprotected areas.

Having said that, if you have a beater, get out there and have some fun. Back in the day, when I owned this beast (below), I loved driving in the snow, the worse the conditions, the better!

Having said that, my car was only 10 years old when the picture was taken, 10 winters of salt:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Enjoying The Fall Reply with quote

Maybe I'll just stay here... Sad
my car is not a show car but it's nice enough and has a recent enough (and expensive) paint job, and still has the original floor pans in good shape simply because it's been garage kept pretty much all its life.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Enjoying The Fall Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Maybe I'll just stay here... Sad
my car is not a show car but it's nice enough and has a recent enough (and expensive) paint job, and still has the original floor pans in good shape simply because it's been garage kept pretty much all its life.

Steve, your car looks very nice. Just my opinion but I believe these cars were meant to be driven and enjoyed, plus they hold up better mechanically when you drive regularly. I had a friend named Jack, he was a WW2 vet and had an outlook on life whereby he enjoyed each day to the fullest. He had a well worn 1967 Ghia which he drove every day for over twenty years. He only quit driving it when he was well into his 80s and he had a few wrecks with it. The important thing is he enjoyed it, we were with him two days before he died and he was a happy man. Jack was one of those guys we saw most Saturdays and we helped him maintain the Ghia. Drive your VWs, let the public see them especially the kids. Very Happy
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Enjoying The Fall Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Steve, your car looks very nice. Just my opinion but I believe these cars were meant to be driven and enjoyed, plus they hold up better mechanically when you drive regularly. I had a friend named Jack, he was a WW2 vet and had an outlook on life whereby he enjoyed each day to the fullest. He had a well worn 1967 Ghia which he drove every day for over twenty years. He only quit driving it when he was well into his 80s and he had a few wrecks with it. The important thing is he enjoyed it, we were with him two days before he died and he was a happy man. Jack was one of those guys we saw most Saturdays and we helped him maintain the Ghia. Drive your VWs, let the public see them especially the kids. Very Happy

Well I kind of get what you're saying--and I'm no storage hoarder I drive this thing all the time around here--but it's not in the best interests of either myself or my bank account to actually invite rust.

1600 SP engine
Aldwych
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Enjoying The Fall Reply with quote

It'd be a shame to use it as a beater, especially with the original pans and that paint job... Where I live, they use shitloads of salt as soon as a single snowflake dares to fall. I don't drive my bug when they're salting the roads (until the next big rain which washes it away), parking outside permanently is bad enough Sad It's a real bummer, because everybody always goes on and on about how good bugs are in snow and how much fun it is, and the Alps are only an hour away from here, but in order to get out of the city, I'd have to drive half an hour through salty slush Evil or Very Mad

Someone above mentioned Fluid Film – I've heard pretty good things about that stuff as well. I bought three Fluid Film AS-R spray cans recently (including the 60 cm extension nozzle) and intend to try it this winter season.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Enjoying The Fall Reply with quote

Aldwych wrote:
It'd be a shame to use it as a beater, especially with the original pans and that paint job... Where I live, they use shitloads of salt as soon as a single snowflake dares to fall. I don't drive my bug when they're salting the roads (until the next big rain which washes it away), parking outside permanently is bad enough Sad It's a real bummer, because everybody always goes on and on about how good bugs are in snow and how much fun it is, and the Alps are only an hour away from here, but in order to get out of the city, I'd have to drive half an hour through salty slush Evil or Very Mad

Someone above mentioned Fluid Film – I've heard pretty good things about that stuff as well. I bought three Fluid Film AS-R spray cans recently (including the 60 cm extension nozzle) and intend to try it this winter season.

If I moved to colder areas I might try that stuff, as you say I'd hate to have the snow abilities of a bug waste away...
Although you have an extra added incentive for keeping your bug fresh-- didn't I read in another thread that it's a rare factory one-off??!

1600 SP engine
Aldwych
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Enjoying The Fall Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
If I moved to colder areas I might try that stuff,

Have you used some kind of rust prevention until now? Or do you live somewhere so dry, that rust really isn't a problem?
In any case, your bug looks really nice, so take care of keeping it that way! Very Happy I love that with certain colours like your red, the American version of the rear lights (which have red indicators instead of orange) looks really harmonious. Smile

Quote:
as you say I'd hate to have the snow abilities of a bug waste away...

Isn't it really easy in the USA to get a not-so-pristine bug for a couple hundred bucks? You could get one that looks like the one in hopkin's post and have fun in the snow with that one Laughing

Quote:
Although you have an extra added incentive for keeping your bug fresh-- didn't I read in another thread that it's a rare factory one-off??!

I'm not so sure about calling it a "one-off", after all it's just an unusual combination of factory options. Anyone could put together a bug like mine, the only difference would be the originality. Wink
But disregarding that, I already want to keep it in good condition anyway, regardless of it being a rarity or not. I grew up with that car, it has sentimental value to me, so I will do anything in my power so that it will last for many years to come Smile
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Enjoying The Fall Reply with quote

Aldwych wrote:

Have you used some kind of rust prevention until now? Or do you live somewhere so dry, that rust really isn't a problem?

I live in the southern/midwest part of the country- lots of humidity in summer and occasional snow in winter but not enough to compromise the car. There ARE plenty of rustbuckets around here though, it's probably more that this one has been garage kept all the time.

Aldwych wrote:

Isn't it really easy in the USA to get a not-so-pristine bug for a couple hundred bucks?

NO, at least not where I live and probably not anywhere-- although you might hear stories like that on here I doubt most of them are true. A rotted out but decent running bug will cost at LEAST $1000.

Aldwych wrote:
I already want to keep it in good condition anyway, regardless of it being a rarity or not. I grew up with that car, it has sentimental value to me, so I will do anything in my power so that it will last for many years to come Smile

This is EXACTLY my situation, how I feel about mine, and another reason not to tempt fate. I found an old picture several weeks ago of me and my two sisters when I was about 3 years old out in the driveway with this car behind us. Never been a time in my life where I didn't remember it sitting there in the driveway or garage

1600 SP engine
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Enjoying The Fall Reply with quote

If you move where they use salt/chemicals, put your car up for the winter if you care about it.
Even in WYO where they don't use much salt/chemicals, I put my 60 away this time of year and drive the 70 that I don't care if it rust. I use it to go snowshoeing Laughing because it is good in the snow.
Rust starts from the inside where you don't see it Wink
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
acgator78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Enjoying The Fall Reply with quote

My 1972 Super and step-son Ben. Beautiful Fall Day
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Enjoying The Fall Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
If you move where they use salt/chemicals, put your car up for the winter if you care about it.
Even in WYO where they don't use much salt/chemicals, I put my 60 away this time of year and drive the 70 that I don't care if it rust. I use it to go snowshoeing Laughing because it is good in the snow.
Rust starts from the inside where you don't see it Wink

It was a ritual to put good cars in a the garage during winter months which if you live in the upper part of Michigan was about six months. I can see trying to save something nice, I'll try to balance that with extracting the most enjoyment from whatever time I have left on this planet.
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Enjoying The Fall Reply with quote

acgator78 wrote:
My 1972 Super and step-son Ben. Beautiful Fall Day

Nice first post!

A month-ish ago I took my bug to the BlueRidge pkwy, it was fun.

calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Enjoying The Fall Reply with quote

Howdy, Go fish Go
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Enjoying The Fall Reply with quote

windfish wrote:

copycat Very Happy

1600 SP engine
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Enjoying The Fall Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:

copycat Very Happy

Hah. Actually I am thinking about copying your wheels, they look nice on your carbon copy.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Enjoying The Fall Reply with quote

VWs we have owned and loved,all of these went to people on the samba. Enjoyed year round as you see. Very Happy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Enjoying The Fall Reply with quote

youngbug74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Enjoying The Fall Reply with quote

Here in Pittsburgh we haven't gotten any snow yet which means it's still a great time to drive my beetle! Not sure how much I'll drive her once it really starts to snow. You can see in the one picture below how ice formed on my roof while I was at work!

sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Enjoying The Fall Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
VWs we have owned and loved,all of these went to people on the samba. Enjoyed year round as you see. Very Happy

Doesn't the fact that there is no snow underneath those cars, no tire tracks to/from their parked locations, and good amounts of snow on top of them mean that those owners AREN'T enjoying them year round?

1600 SP engine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: