Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiring convert dome light switch
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Emmons
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Wiring convert dome light switch Reply with quote

Hi again; Not very good at wireing,but I seem to get by. I have a need to know how to wire the dome light switch in my 64 convert. It did not come wired, it was in a box of parts. I have nothing to go by. Any help out there?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not specifically for a vert, but the wiring at the switch may give you a clue hoe to wire your car:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by KTPhil on Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Kenhoh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring convert dome light switch Reply with quote

I found the easy way to get the wire through the driver side pulled to the light and switch was to use some small string with a knot at the end and feed the string into the pulled as a shop vac provides suction at the lamp site. Worked for me after hours of trying to push a wire around that piller corner. Good luck
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring convert dome light switch Reply with quote

Applicable information from other topics.

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Convertible dome lamps were mounted to the rear "Hoop" bow forward surface in the center until the 1965 model year. In 1965 they were moved to the rear view mirror

Its a pretty simple light
The reproduction KARMANN Ghia (and Porsche 356) 343-947-111 light.. is very.... VERY similar .. (its the Same Coach Builder)

Pretty much... just remove the switch.. ( I think)

and

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Ahhhh the plot thickens... Its a flop top.

As for info on Convertible dome routing.. (up to 1965)

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

Dome lamp power supply circuit RED wire from fuse box is routed within the main harness rearward towards the rear.
The red power wire exits the main harness at the right main hinge area and attaches to one terminal of the safety switch.
The safety switch is mounted to a bracket and screwed to the body wooden tack strip. Its mounted near where the main frame hinge bolts up and oriented so when the hinge folds down it makes contact to the button to open the contacts.
A second red wire is attached to the second terminal of safety switch and re-enters the main loom and continues to the engine compartment.

It then joins the ground wire in its own loom and is routed up towards the folding top through a semi hidden grommet in the body shelf above the engine.
The combined (red power and brown ground) loom continues up the rear top bow, usually sewn to the convertible top strapping or bow, towards the dome lamp box and lamp.

The ground circuit (brown wire) is routed with the power supply and back to the into main harness forward to the dash area where it is connected to one terminal of the (Ivory) toggle switch under dash, usually to the left of the steering column.

The toggle switch has 3 terminals and 3 positions.
Off (center)
Doors
On

The brown wire from the top is connected to the center toggle (off) neutral terminal.

Second terminal of the switch is connected to both left and right door ground switches with a brown wire.

Third terminal of the switch is connected to usually either a speedometer ground tab or a ground on body with a brown wire.

Basic operation

Red wire supplies live battery voltage to the dome lamp at all times the top is up. Safety switch opens the circuit with top folded down.

The toggle switch, is the door closed, manual on/off control switch grounding the dome lamp ground circuit.
If the doors are opened with the top up.. the door contacts ground the same control circuit for the lamp ( similar to a sedan).

Flip the the toggle switch to one side it grounds the lights for manual operation on (top up). flip it the other way allows door open control lamp operation via the door contacts (top up).

Center position is off.

Why a safety switch.. ??? Anxious
The top down safety switch is a press to open the switch contacts safety switch. This insures the POWER circuit opens and the light isn't on with the top down...
Keeps it frying the top fabric or worse.... going....SPOOOOOF!

Think thats right.. its been a while..

Whew....

edited for spelling, grammar and clarified corrections.. d'oh!
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:13 am; edited 13 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Emmons
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring convert dome light switch Reply with quote

Thank you very much, That's just what I was looking for. I can now finish the wiring. Tim
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring convert dome light switch Reply with quote

Here is the switch in the back of vert on my Oval.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Emmons
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring convert dome light switch Reply with quote

Thank You I have the switch but no bracket, wasen't sure where it went. Tim
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring convert dome light switch Reply with quote

Tim, I am sending you a PM...I have just been through this on a 63 vert. Bob
doubledoor64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring convert dome light switch Reply with quote

I would love more info on this
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring convert dome light switch Reply with quote

ashley1 wrote:

WHY the secret PM??? Can't you just simply post a wiring diagram and let the
Samba have it for others to find?
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring convert dome light switch Reply with quote

lovethatconvertible wrote:
ashley1 wrote:

WHY the secret PM??? Can't you just simply post a wiring diagram and let the
Samba have it for others to find?

X2

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring convert dome light switch Reply with quote

Hey guys, no "secret" PM's.. I simply cannot get the jist of how to post pics from my iPad , and was going to ask for his email so I could send him some pics and my phone number to see if I could answer some questions....
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring convert dome light switch Reply with quote

The convertible interior lamp circuit was never in any VW diagrams that I know of.

Its a pretty simple circuit.. it basically didn't change from the Oval era cars until the 1965 model year when the lamp was moved to the rear view mirror.

Snagged this from the Oval forum.. Wink

The wiring harnesses are nearly the same as a sedan.

1958-64 convertible harnesses are routed in the right side heater channel as opposed to left side roof as sedans are.
Thats never noted in any diagram I am aware of.

In 1965 the harness was moved to the left floor to mimic sedans more closely.

WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring convert dome light switch Reply with quote

Turns out, I had this diagram as well, VOLKSWAGNUT nails it again, I went out to the shop and built this diagram on a simple board and some sheet metal to see if it works, and it does, make sure all your switches are grounded, except for the top shut off switch as it is isolated anyway.
[img]

My switch didn't work, so i decided to take it apart and see what was up, turns
out it was just very dirty inside so a good cleaning did the trick, here's
the inside for those who haven't been in there before, I was lucky as the tabs that hold it together were in very good condition.

The above pic didn't show the ball bearing, it just sits in the center lug,
i used Battery terminal grease on re- assembly on all parts.

[/img]
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring convert dome light switch Reply with quote

^ Killer... .. Vw people seem to need those photos....dont they Wink

Of course it works...

Nice job Applause...
but
Technically.. Think the toggle switch is controlling the GROUND on/off .. not power off as labeled.. ,, then again... its not really a ground until the path is completed via a switch.. soooooo.

Yet still... an awesome and very nice illustration of whats going on.

Usually and often edited
Tim Emmons
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring convert dome light switch Reply with quote

Thanks ever s much, I can't thank you enough, It will make my life easer, and I'm sure the lifes of many more. Tim
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring convert dome light switch Reply with quote

Yep, Ken's right again. The switch is only controlling the ground path. I miss used the word "power". Embarassed
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring convert dome light switch Reply with quote

^ No worries.. .. you provided pertinent and applicable information..

This will now be a great reference topic. Applause
Bookmarked. Wink

If someone has pictures of the rear dome harness body pass through points.. post em' up.

I would.. but it will be a while before I get to my next Convertible.. (1961). Confused

Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring convert dome light switch Reply with quote

Here's some pictures of my dome light loom routing, one of the red wires comes from the fuse block at the front of the car, and as you would guess the other red wire feeds back into the loom and into the engine compartment and comes back into the rear firewall with a brown wire, which is coming from the front of the car. These feed up the rear over the window wood bow to the dome light. I also posted a better picture of the overall Dome light wiring project i did.
Please excuse the wood bows, as they are templates i'm making and not the prettiest. But I'm getting there

Edit, I'm robbing the ground wire off the two conductor block in the engine compartment and running it to my rear lights for a dedicated ground. Works Great
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring convert dome light switch Reply with quote

^ Applause

And now.. in FAQ's (sticky's)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=101972

Usually and often edited
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: