Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Englishtown NJ Fall Show and Go, October 18th, 2015
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karzapart55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Englishtown NJ Fall Show and Go, October 18th, 2015 Reply with quote

Bucky, I was referring to the fact that we have heard nothing from RP since the show. Im sure they are aware of the complaints.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
noneed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Englishtown NJ Fall Show and Go, October 18th, 2015 Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

Even if RWP and the Club can come up with ways to improve the show or work out the issues....will you attend? Will you show up or will you keep fueling the negative stigma attached to this show and just hope it dies and goes away? Will you tell your buddys "hey, lets go back and enjoy the day out"? Will you be part of the solution or someone who does not attend a home state show going into its 25th year?

I can only hope that little slice of nomenclature wasn't directed at me Steven.
If it was...let's pause for a moment and look back at a little history, or at least employ a little common sense here.

One...
Why was it that Atco, and Manassas for that matter, died again ?
I can recall being at the Bugouts in the 90s where the attendance was announced over the PA system at 10k plus people there...
I can also recall being at Atco years ago where it was packed to the gills as well.
Both of these events were held at race tracks, and for YEARS the people attending the event complained about what needed to change.
The same thing happened at BOTH of these events.
The track / show promoters decided to ignore the people that were spending their hard earned money to get in, and kept on doing things the way they wanted to do things.
People finally decided to stop coming, and attendance dwindled as a result.

I think a better question here is, will RWP realize they actually have to listen to whatever buzz or chatter is going on about their show... good, bad, or indifferent, and actually LISTEN to what they need to change? Or at least make sure something they did that produced any "negativity" doesn't happen again ?
Time will tell...

Two...
If I wasn't part of "the solution" and "just hope it dies out" I would just do what 90% of the other people reading this thread or attended this show are doing...
Nothing.
Absolutely nothing...

I'd just write it off and find something else to do with this weekend next year.
I'd also clearly find something else more important to do with the time it took me to type this tonight, then respond again... Right ?

Three...
If I didn't care about the future of this "home state show"... I would not have posted on the "pre-show" portion of this thread about how exited I was to get there, and I sure as hell wouldn't have STARTED the pre-show thread for this show for the two years prior...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=608664&highlight=englishtown

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=572714&highlight=englishtown

It's not even a "home state show" for me either.
I live in Pennsylvania.

Finally...
Spending a day out with my buddies that are into VW's, like most of us on here, doesn't cost a dime or a mile long walk. That can be done with a couple of phone calls, and a 30 minute drive at best. In fact, that sort of thing does happen all the time on weekends when there is no scheduled VW event.
Any "negative stigma" comes from the fact ( both from many of the folks that complained to me personally, as well as myself ) that we got up at 5 in the morning or so to go to RWP to support this event instead of hanging out locally with each other for free...only to be left with the feeling that all we accomplished on the 18th of last month was to put a whole lot of money into the pockets of someone that doesn't even own a Volkswagen...and the spectators got an even bigger bonus. They had to walk a mile to get in.

Again, I want to make this PERFECTLY CLEAR to anyone and everyone reading this...
I KNOW that the CJVWS members had nothing to do with the spectator parking situation, or any of the other "track decisions" or track pricing for this event.
You guys are integral to making this event happen, and like every other VW event you are involved with, you deserve nothing but a well deserved THANK YOU from everyone in this hobby for your efforts.
NONE of this "negativity" as Steven put it, it is directed at ANY of you.

I just think this track needs to wake up and smell the coffee Steven...or yes...unfortunately another VW event may eventually go the way of Atco and Manassas....and that would be a shame.

Schwing wrote:
Bondo is like make-up, it fools the eye from the ugly truth
Karzapart55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Englishtown NJ Fall Show and Go, October 18th, 2015 Reply with quote

Noneed, couldn't have said it any better. We want this show to survive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Englishtown NJ Fall Show and Go, October 18th, 2015 Reply with quote

NoNeed..... that was NOT directed at yourself or anyone else inthis thread directly. It was meant to be so ANYONE who reads this thread, wether they are posting or not...would be asking themselves those questions. Kind of turning the "you" into a personal question. I was not doubting yourself or anyone else heres loyalty or wanting of a show to succeed and continue.
You are 100% correct when you say that 90% of the people will do nothing. It is also 100% clear that there is a whole bus load of passion and enthusiasm in this thread...which is one reason the show still goes on.

As I said in previous posts....RWP was at fault. I agree. RWP needs to do more...I agree. One reason I defend RWP on some things is because we are there so often and it means a lot more to us then just 2 shows a year and I do not want to see the facility go away in general....not just lose a VW show. RWP is constantly under attack and all the little things add up over time and some times take down a big ship. From neighbors with noise complaints, the amount of days we can run un-muffled cars...a lot of other issues.....to VW show stuff. I felt like if I could atleast help defend against one small chink in the armor, it would be helping a bigger cause. I am sorry if anyone here thought I was trying to attack them....was not the case at all.

Moving on to what can be done to improve the show...
Maybe adapting to "the times" and offering 2 new show awards. How about a best "old school stance" and "best new school stance" as specialty awards. Kids now a days love that "stanced" crap. Obviously a difference inbetween old school and new way of thinking.

Possibly moving up the Show award times? 4 seems late in the day and a long time to ask people to wait around. Maybe this is already done, I have never been in the show area that late.

a VIP parking for non judged show cars? People who want to park close/in the show area, pay a little less and be seen. Or how about a specialty display area? Maybe invite 3-5 cars and give them free entry and promote seeing "THIS SPECIALTY". Park them together, make a banner, make it special.

Ask RWP to speak with a local VW dealer, probably Linden VW. Get them to sponsor, display some new cars under a tent..something. How about for the month before the show, anyone who buys a NEW VW from DEALER X....Gets 2 free tickets to the show and a flyer?
Karzapart55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Englishtown NJ Fall Show and Go, October 18th, 2015 Reply with quote

All good ideas. The ball is in RWP's court
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Englishtown NJ Fall Show and Go, October 18th, 2015 Reply with quote

I spoke to a different VW dealer about doing something connected with our Flanders show, and I was told by the owner and the parts manager that there was no benefit to them to sponsor a vintage VW show. They found that there was precious little interest among vintage enthusiasts in buying a new VW.

So if this holds in general for VW dealers, it would have to be the water cooled scene that attracts them to RWP in the hopes of attracting buyers.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: