Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Leaking Dizzy
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chico2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Leaking Dizzy Reply with quote

Hi All

So Ive Bought my first bus !

I love it, but am having issues ! drove it every day in october driven it 4 times in november !

Im friends with Robbo on here who has asked a couple of questions for me ,so sorry if theres an overlap, but i seem to be going backwards rather than forwards though still forwards !

So today is a bad day and I'm puling hair I've got it running lovely ! ( not perfect ) but better than ever , its quite , smooth , responsive, pulls well ( its a 1600 tp in a bay with a solex 34-3 , its not breaking records but good and fun) no hesitation no flat spots ( it had these when i first got it) .

So I Apologise now for the length of this post but think i need to list all to be clear .

so basics . 1971 bay Panel
1600 Tp ( def twin port size actually unknown south african built SFBR engine number )
Solex 34 pict 3 recently rebuilt ( by neighbour ) has ultrasonic cleaner which helps .
Dizzy recently replaced bosch DVDA ( though blocked/Capped port on carb so was running as svda and was very warn , lots of slack/play in shaft ) now an Accuspark SVDA electronic.
compression test

Front of vehicle

130 (3) 138 (1)
115 (4) 118 (2)

Back

Engine turns over by hand Very easily , I'm comparing this to Robbos who has slightly low compression on 1 cylinder but is much harder to turn over ( pulling the belt around )

plugs are all good number two cylinder is "slightly wet" theres an issue there but don't think its desperate its just not as "dry" as the others .

after replacing the Dizzy i have oil coming out of the dizzy bowl , i.e. coming up the shaft and out of one of the holes in the base , the old dvda did not have these holes so was no leaks then .

from everything I've read this would suggest high crankcase pressure ? , I do have an aftermarket air filter , but have the breather pipe is attached , there is very few other oil leaks one torsion tube seal on cylinder 4 , and it does seem to blow out the bottom of the breather tube which seems to coat the right hand side ( as looking from rear) but not so bad as to be leaving a trail where ever you go .

I have replaced oil strainer gaskets oil (haslo 10w30) plugs (bosch w8)ht leads (petronix standard 7mm) dizzy SVDA accuspark electronic.

Daily drive is 6 miles AM 6 PM temperature this time of year averages about 3 celcius morning 6 c evening . but plus or minus 5 degrees .

Robbo has pointed out that the dizzy isn't sitting "normally" as in the vacuum can is to the left as opposed to facing the rear bumper , this is the same as the original bosch that i replaced .

timing at 3500 rpm is 29 to 30 degrees and falls back to 6.5/7.5 at idle
and is running lovely ish ( idle jumps up down 40 ish rpm)

Have spoken to accuspark who are happy to refund me, but have said there is no point in replacing as will have the same problem , looking at many new dizzys ( including bosch) all now seem to have the holes at the base .

So im in your hands , i have no idea , I'm a fitter rather than a mechanic if that makes sense , so hope you can help .

crankcase pressure ? how to solve ? dizzy ? where to start ?

Original setup

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

now

Leaking from here

Hope you can help

thx

Chico
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking Dizzy Reply with quote

In general I would say high crankcase pressure. You should make sure the hose running to your air cleaner is not blocked with engine snot. Cold oily condensate will build up in the downward bend of the hose blocking off the flow of crankcase fumes.

You might want to run the hose into the top of the air cleaner to give it more slope. You don't want to be running down the road and have the engine blow all the oil out because the hose has clogged.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking Dizzy Reply with quote

Distributor o-ring worn or missing?

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Robbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking Dizzy Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
Distributor o-ring worn or missing?

Aloha
tp
. I thought this but it's not, a brand new dizzy with new o ring and the oil is coming up inside the shaft. I find a couple of things odd, you can turn the engine by hand so easily like it has poor compression, yet the test showed great compression. Also I don't think it's important but all the ac VW's I've ever had have all had the dizzy clips side to side not back to front. Does it matter if it's running well?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking Dizzy Reply with quote

Worn fiber washers (seals) on the mainshaft letting oil up and in.

Time for a rebuild.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking Dizzy Reply with quote

Robbo wrote:
........ a brand new dizzy with new o ring and the oil is coming up inside the shaft. ........

Another fine product from Sum Ting Wong Mfg. co., I would have stuck with the worn out Bosch myself.
The clips are sideways because the whole distributor is 90 degrees off, move all the wires over in the cap one hole clockwise and turn the distributor 1/4 turn CCW (reset timing after of course).

As for the compression that's not bad, not sure why it's easier to turn, have you set the valves recently?, what's the compression ratio on your buddies engine?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking Dizzy Reply with quote

Later Bosch dist.'s have an oil return thread cut into the shaft at the upper bushing, pushing oil into the space between
the shaft and the lower housing, and then a drain hole and channel from that space into the crankcase. Maybe your
aftermarket dist. is missing those niceties? Or maybe it's just high crankcase pressure. I can't see how the
distributor position could cause oil to come up past the upper bushing.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Robbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Leaking Dizzy Reply with quote

What are the main causes of high crankcase pressure? Can't be the rings surely as it has good compression at the spark plug holes?

Last edited by Robbo on Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:14 am; edited 1 time in total
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Leaking Dizzy Reply with quote

the position of the distributor has nothing to do with it...it just means whoever rebuilt the engine installed the distributor drive gear a tooth or 2 off...and will run fine like that...i can see you have a road draft tube off your oil filler...just make sure some idiot didnt plug the bottom...a leakdown test is more accurate than a compression test to pinpoint if compression loss is past the valves or rings...but i think if the rings were that bad it would be slinging oil out behind the pulley and smoking...in 40 years of owning a vw shop i've never seen an engine push oil up a distributor shaft and leak(except on 16 v golf motors when the shaft wore loose in the housing...and they were mounted horizontal!)...so i wouldnt necessarily want another potentially defective distributor from the same company...try to borrow another one or buy another brand...no substitute for stock vw
Chico2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Leaking Dizzy Reply with quote

Hi All

Thank you , this is all obviously a huge learning curve for me .

Dizzy , position i think is ok, as it only fits one way because of the offset and no 1 is at 5 o'clock which marrys up with TDC I've checked when adjusting valves / replacing rocker cover gaskets , and is roughly the same position as the old one . It seems to have timed up ok , in that position. not saying its technically correct , just thats where its happy !

There is some oil leak issues , mainly it seems from the the " road draft tube"
which isn't possibly as long as it should be . is above the bottom of engine , not sure height it should be ? it does dribble oil from here when parked . ( although i thought it was actually capped off when left the factory with a rubber cap ?} the bottom of the case shows oil which i think is the same , the previously mentioned torsion tube etc . there is no oil leak "topside" of the engine I'm running j tubes (thats what it came with ) and no leaks from cover gaskets on to these , there is signs of flywheel oil seal ? ( between engine and gearbox but very slight)

Engine does smoke a little on startup, but clears once choke cuts out , I'm still tinkering with carb after rebuild , so presume/d i just need to lean it out a little / adjust choke .

Im happy to buy another dizzy if thats likely to solve it , but as there are no Bosch units anymore The "Replica" units all look pretty much the same, wether there £50 accuspark or £150 Petronix the castings all seem to be identical .

Is there a simple test to confirm Crankcase pressures ?

Thanks again for all the help

Chico
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Leaking Dizzy Reply with quote

Chico2k wrote:

Is there a simple test to confirm Crankcase pressures ?

Go back and read my original post in this thread. By having an aftermarket air filter you have a much longer hose with a downward "sump" in it and are lacking the damper system to increase the draw on the crankcase at idle. I am a real believer on using the original air cleaners on these engines instead of the poor performing aftermarket stuff that people push.
Chico2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking Dizzy Reply with quote

Hi Wildthings

Thanks , I did take note , Im on the hunt for an oil bath one , to see if that helps .

thx
Chico
Chico2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Leaking Dizzy Reply with quote

Hi All

So done some oil pressure checks today

On start up (cold engine) was at 45psi

after leaving to warm up approx 10minutes choke off etc psi had dropped to between 15 and 20psi

Revving to 3500 rpm pressure rises up to approx 48-50psi never over 50

Does that seem ok ?

Thanks

Chico
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Leaking Dizzy Reply with quote

Oil pressure and crankcase pressure are not very much relate. You oil pressure can be high or low and have no effect on your crankcase pressure, the opposite is true as well.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking Dizzy Reply with quote

Both the Chinese and Bosch distributors which I have have drain holes in the bottom of the section where the centrifugal weights sit.
And they both have an oil feed screw leading to a hole in the side which feeds oil down a groove in the side of the nose of the distributor and back to the sump.

If you have high crankcase pressure and oil blowing out you either have an aftermarket breather system with a restriction or worn piston rings or both. The worn piston rings will not stop the engine running it just gets worse until the oil starts fouling up plugs.

I had an engine with a stock 20mm breather tube and it would still spit oil out of the dipstick tube (if you left it out) while it was running and out the crank pulley would spray oil too.
In the end I bought new pistons and cylinders for it.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking Dizzy Reply with quote

If the old Bosch distributor was not allowing oil to drip out the housing and the new one does. It's the fault of the new distributor.

The holes are not for draining oil they are for allowing 02 to enter the distributor housing to eliminate ozone from the sparking points= vent. If the ozone has no where to go you will have a new problem...

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: