Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thermostat etc
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: Thermostat etc Reply with quote

So--Hopefully not a controversial topic... I have a 65 bug with a 1600 DP GEX engine (I know, "boat anchor" but is has worked well for a while now). The engine was in the car when I bought it, and had all afermarket sheet metal, (most parts had a "made in Tiawan" sticker) including a "36 hp" shape fan shroud, and no thermostat or air-doors. Full cold air all the time. A few weeks ago I took the engine out for the purpose of adding thermostat, air doors, etc. I found an OG fan shroud, all the air-doors and associated linkage, cylinder covers, and a few other pieces of sheet metal, and OG thermostat and bracket. The block is a VW brazil, and did not have a hole for the thermostat bracket. I drilled and tapped the block, and went back together with a factory-style cooling system. I also went back with OG intake manifold and oil-bath air filter. It is like driving a different car. It now warms up in a few minutes instead of 15, or never on a really cold day, and the heater starts working in a few minutes as well. I am glad I did this upgrade, and my advice and personal opinion is that the air cooled VW engine should have the factory style engine temperature control system. I know you can get it to work without, especially where the weather never turns cold, but IMO the themostat and realated hardware makes a significant difference in a positive direction.
Hokie87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat etc Reply with quote

Robert H wrote:
It is like driving a different car....IMO the themostat and realated hardware makes a significant difference in a positive direction.

Yep...and easy to do. Did the same in my Mexi 1600. Heater blows warm air in less than 10 minutes in the winter now.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat etc Reply with quote

I agree...t stats and all the tins are the way to go.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat etc Reply with quote

Technically since removing the T stat parts was an upgrade years ago aren't you downgrading? Wink

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Robert H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat etc Reply with quote

Ha! perhaps so. Re-grading? Retro-grading? What is the opposite of modifying? Installing Antimods...
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat etc Reply with quote

all my engines have thermostats and factory OG tin, including my 2180 daily driver.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat etc Reply with quote

Yep on the factory sheetmetal, thermostat flaps. My heater kicks out heat in short order. Plus no white goo inside that oil cap.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat etc Reply with quote

Just think of all the money VW wasted installing these useless things Very Happy
The last two expert repair shops here saved these for me. They are gone and I'm still here. Oh the stories they used to tell about how a stuck thermostat could ruin an engine.
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat etc Reply with quote

67jason wrote:
all my engines have thermostats and factory OG tin, including my 2180 daily driver.

Mine too. 1776 in Colorado.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat etc Reply with quote

This is especially so if you buy a used bellows thermostat off the Classifieds. Make sure the thermostat is not stuck in the expanded position. I just saw two ads where the bellows was filling the thermostat bracket (no room to expand). So, they were shot and a total rip-off to those who don't know what a working bellows thermostat looks like.

Has anyone any first-hand knowledge of an OEM bellows thermostat actually failing in the closed (compressed) position? From what I've heard, they always fail in the open (therefore, flaps fully open) position. So I was just wondering who has had theirs fail in the un-compressed position (which would keep the flaps closed and cook the motor).

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat etc Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
This is especially so if you buy a used bellows thermostat off the Classifieds. Make sure the thermostat is not stuck in the expanded position. I just saw two ads where the bellows was filling the thermostat bracket (no room to expand). So, they were shot and a total rip-off to those who don't know what a working bellows thermostat looks like.

Has anyone any first-hand knowledge of an OEM bellows thermostat actually failing in the closed (compressed) position? From what I've heard, they always fail in the open (therefore, flaps fully open) position. So I was just wondering who has had theirs fail in the un-compressed position (which would keep the flaps closed and cook the motor).

Tim

Tim VW built a double fail safe into the system . First the bellows always fails open pushing the rod up opening the flaps. Second if the bellows fell off or broke or the rod broke the flaps being spring loaded to open would fail in open position. The only failure I've seen is a flap becoming detached from the rod behind the shroud and this makes one side run hot. this condition could probably be traced back to mishandling or massive wear on the retainer clip. Very rare I could count on one hand the times we witnessed this. I've heard lots of excuses for leaving thermostats and flaps off and it does add some time to install and rig, the hardest part being lowering the fully assembled fan shroud with alternator or generator down past the oil cooler and then guiding the little rod down through the cylinder head into that tiny sheet metal piece and out the bottom. Kinda tedious but after you've done this a time or two it gets easier. This is going to sound funny but I get my wife to guide the rod down through the hole while I'm holding the shroud Very Happy. The rod connecting the two flaps is off at this point to clear a doghouse oil cooler. Tom Wilson has the best explanation for rigging I've ever seen. When you cut through all the bullshit I suspect hack mechanics became lazy and cut corners instead of putting these back on.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat etc Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat etc Reply with quote

Zund,

I hear you, and agree why mechanics threw the thermostat away. Pure laziness.

I bought a complete thermostat set-up from the classifieds and had a hell of a time with it until a Samba member told me the right-hand flap bracket should be "a popcicle's width" away from the flap. Mine was much more. Probably because the last guy to remove the right flap just grabbed the shroud and yanked, instead of carefully coaxing the rod--with the flap attached--up and off the engine. And bending that bracket back--once it's been stretched--is a joke.

I got a new set and installed it by first tilting the fan shroud on the right, feeding the rod through the cylinder head (in the first hole nearest the center of the engine) then twisting the fan shroud a little for the bent rod to clear the hole, then tilting the left side of the fan shroud down and over the oil cooler.

Not an easy task when you're alone, but now I have a working thermostat system.

In the summer, I remove the thermostat entirely. We get many, many 100+ degree days during summer, so I figure my thermostat will last longer from removing it during these few months.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat etc Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
In the summer, I remove the thermostat entirely. We get many, many 100+ degree days during summer, so I figure my thermostat will last longer from removing it during these few months.

I can't see how this offers any benefit.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat etc Reply with quote

KT--there are times in the hot summers here where the temperature reaches to 116 degrees Fahrenheit. They don't call us Red-Hot-Redding for nothing. So, during these times my engine warms up by the time I reach the first stop sign.

I figure that our thermostats wear--from use. So why wear out a part faster when I don't have to. It takes me five minutes in June to remove the thermostat, and five minutes in early September to re-install and re-adjust it. That equals a 25% non-use of that part.

If I lived in a more temperate--like in the mountains or far north, I'd keep the thermostat going all year.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat etc Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
KT--there are times in the hot summers here where the temperature reaches to 116 degrees Fahrenheit. They don't call us Red-Hot-Redding for nothing. So, during these times my engine warms up by the time I reach the first stop sign.

I figure that our thermostats wear--from use. So why wear out a part faster when I don't have to. It takes me five minutes in June to remove the thermostat, and five minutes in early September to re-install and re-adjust it. That equals a 25% non-use of that part.

If I lived in a more temperate--like in the mountains or far north, I'd keep the thermostat going all year.

Tim

So, since you don't live in a temperate zone, you're saying your thermostat migrates?

Very Happy
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat etc Reply with quote

I live in Phoenix and have the thermostats/flaps and all the associated parts hooked up on all my VW's. I also don't see any benefit in removing the thermostat during the summer.

The one thing that also happens when reinstalling these parts is the cold engine drivability is night and day over an engine w/out these parts. If people are running a stock motor with a single carb, clear carb manifold preheat pipes and a stock muffler, it's simply amazing how well they run when you start them first thing in the morning. Hit the key, the engine fines off and you can immediately drive down the street w/no cold engine symptoms.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat etc Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
I live in Phoenix and have the thermostats/flaps and all the associated parts hooked up on all my VW's. I also don't see any benefit in removing the thermostat during the summer.

The one thing that also happens when reinstalling these parts is the cold engine drivability is night and day over an engine w/out these parts. If people are running a stock motor with a single carb, clear carb manifold preheat pipes and a stock muffler, it's simply amazing how well they run when you start them first thing in the morning. Hit the key, the engine fines off and you can immediately drive down the street w/no cold engine symptoms.

I have to agree with Bill. In Texas the mechanics tossed the thermostat when working on the car (VW dealers as well) thinking the heat here was not good with the thermostat. Mine is now off, but will go on next time the engine is pulled. Proper engine temp is vital to the engine lasting. Our winters here are not bad ( 20's and 30's), but I know that 180 engine summer oil temp is too low. Would be lower than that in the Winter. So for now mine will set for the winter except for occasional garage start ups to move it around. I do miss the nice heat my former VW's (all now gone) put out in the Winter.

Lou
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat etc Reply with quote

The debate has raged in several threads.

My short answers are that it helped my '71 FI Fastback, even though I live in warm SoCal. Earlier heat, faster warmups, better cold idle for the first 10-15 minutes are my benefits.

I also understood that mechanics took them out just to be on the safe side and avoid customer suspicions, however misplaced, that they did something wrong to the engine should it later overheat. The slow death from poor combustion will be far down the road, after the warranty, and so they make the decision to avoid the argument.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat etc Reply with quote

Maybe someone will drill down into the VW engineers perspective on the thermostat. I will guarantee that the water cooled vehicles have thermostats. The flaps do direct the air flow where needed even without the thermostat.
I did have a thermostat fail on one of my engines. Not a problem thanks to the Samba classifieds.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: