Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can I wire 12v adapter to negative battery??
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fourstroke650
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Can I wire 12v adapter to negative battery?? Reply with quote

Hey all, I installed a 12v adapter (cigarette) socket. Rather than messing up the wiring there already I ran a positive line to the battery directly (with a fuse in line) and the negative to the negative on battery. Is this ok or would it be better to ground the negative wire instead? Used 14 g with a 10amp fuse. It's a 70 standard beetle with a 12 volt system.
vwkirb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I wire 12v adapter to negative battery?? Reply with quote

Yes, you can do that, I would put the fuse as close to the battery as possible. The outlet will always be "hot".
fourstroke650
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I wire 12v adapter to negative battery?? Reply with quote

vwkirb wrote:
Yes, you can do that, I would put the fuse as close to the battery as possible. The outlet will always be "hot".
perfect thanks. Yes I put the fuse right next to battery.
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I wire 12v adapter to negative battery?? Reply with quote

its a long run from the battery to the lighter...14 is too light for an actual cigarette lighter but if you're just using it for a phone charger or usb adapter you should be ok...grounding it to the body is better cause the entire car is a much heavier gauge than a single wire
fourstroke650
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I wire 12v adapter to negative battery?? Reply with quote

Ok I will move it to ground. Would ground strap be ok?
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I wire 12v adapter to negative battery?? Reply with quote

if you're done already and its a low amp draw leave it alone...or just run a short wire (insulated or not) right to to the body in most efficient way...the only reason to run wires all the way back to the battery would be for a stereo where you want to minimize signal interference
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Can I wire 12v adapter to negative battery?? Reply with quote

I have wired a cigarette lighter socket into my '71 SB, use it to charge my TracFone if needed, or power a - wait for it - radar detector.

I wired mine to the fuse box, and have an inline fuse in the circuit too. Using as an actual lighter would draw way more amps than this, so if that's a goal, use heavier gauge wire.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
fourstroke650
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Can I wire 12v adapter to negative battery?? Reply with quote

No just charging my phone etc. I didn't want to mess with fuse box. If I keep the beetle I will eventually gut it and do a complete rewire. But trying to sell it. I have two toddlers and a single income so can't devote time or money to restore it. If it doesn't sell I will eventually get around to it.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I wire 12v adapter to negative battery?? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I have wired a cigarette lighter socket into my '71 SB, use it to charge my TracFone if needed, or power a - wait for it - radar detector

OK, now that is funny! Laughing A radar detector in an old Bug. Those are 2 things that just don't go together. d'oh! That image made me chuckle. Reminds me of the bumper sticker I saw on an old VW bus, "0 to 60 in 5 days"
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I wire 12v adapter to negative battery?? Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
Cusser wrote:
I have wired a cigarette lighter socket into my '71 SB, use it to charge my TracFone if needed, or power a - wait for it - radar detector

OK, now that is funny! Laughing A radar detector in an old Bug. Those are 2 things that just don't go together.

Well, that VW does have an 1835cc DP engine in it, so it can make some sense.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I wire 12v adapter to negative battery?? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Dwayne1m wrote:
Cusser wrote:

OK, now that is funny! Laughing A radar detector in an old Bug. Those are 2 things that just don't go together.

Well, that VW does have an 1835cc DP engine in it, so it can make some sense.

Yes I understand it can make sense, but to me the image of a radar detector in an old bug makes me chuckle because bugs are perceived to be ultra slow. Like putting a radar detector on a turtle. Nothing personal, just thought it was funny.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I wire 12v adapter to negative battery?? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I have wired a cigarette lighter socket into my '71 SB, use it to charge my TracFone if needed, or power a - wait for it - radar detector.

I wired mine to the fuse box, and have an inline fuse in the circuit too. Using as an actual lighter would draw way more amps than this, so if that's a goal, use heavier gauge wire.

That's how I wired mine, it's mounted it under the dash:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There is a in-line fuse, (behind the bracket for the radio):

1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I wire 12v adapter to negative battery?? Reply with quote

Not as neat as his though:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: