Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need CAM advice on E85 setup
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ED LEGENDA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject: Need CAM advice on E85 setup Reply with quote

I need professional advice regarding camshaft.
Building 84x94 stroker, and decided to go on E85 setup.
My heads are limited to 44x37.5
Thinking to go with 48 IDF/IDA carbs.
If regular compression in this case would be 10.5:1
So FK87 was idea but with regular fuel and compression.
So if to go in compression range 12:1-13:1, what would be advice regarding cam in this situation?
Should i still use FK87 or try to go with FK89 ? or other options ?

Thanks in advance, but please, comment if you have experience about it...
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Need CAM advice on E85 setup Reply with quote

Running E85 is like running racing fuel -- -- It does not give your engine more HP just by changing over -- It does run cooler -- -- That said, You can run more compression (11 or 12 : 1 is nice) and a Bigger Cam to make better use of its properties.....

But it all comes down to what kind of performance or drivability you're wanting out of your engine. You can put any cam you want in there to suit your driving style... Just remember the bigger the cam, the bigger the valve springs, the more maintenance required......BLAH BLAH BLAH....

ALSO -- -- remember this is Ethanol - 70 - 85% depending upon the time of year and your location, there are 4 basic different percentage levels in use, but that can vary as a load of 78% is added to what left of a 85% in the tank... If you're in the COLD states in winter time it will be 70% coming out of the pumps, here in Cali it only drops down to about 79% in winter, and up to a maximum of 85% -- -- You will have to be prepared to really jet up from running pump gas approximately 50 to 70 % larger... This is why all Flex Fuel vehicles actually have a Ethanol sensor as part of the fuel system to measure ethanol content and adjust fuel delivery to suit conditions..... E85 has a AFR reading of 7.9 vs 14.7 on gas.... You will need a wide band sensor to tune this stuff .... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E85

You DON'T want to leave this stuff in your Carbs for any length of time, or for long storage, IT WILL corrode them.... IT WILL corrode all your steel fuel lines (I've changed over to Aluminum and SS)... IT WILL cause all your steel braided lines to "dry" out in a couple of years (I'm currently having to change all mine out after 3 years as they are starting to weep)... If I'm storing/parking the car for more than a month I drain the complete fuel system and add a gallon of gas and circulate and run it for a while (I'm EFI)... (I'm thinking it is because of Ethanol's ability to suck water out of air is why the corrosion occurs)

I did have the fuel tank in my Oval corrode ABOVE the fuel level after I had left it in there for several months......

You can add a couple of degrees of timing when running E85 too!!!!

I love this stuff, works great with boosted engines too !!!!!
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Need CAM advice on E85 setup Reply with quote

I think it makes no difference to cam choice.

You NEED to run higher CR, otherwise you'll lose a bit of power.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: