Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mexican Fuel Injection 1600dp... why no love here?
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bennym777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Mexican Fuel Injection 1600dp... why no love here? Reply with quote

I have lived in Mexico for a while now.

Obviously see lots of bugs everywhere.

I owned a Fi version for a while, ran like a dream, hardly needed any servicing and was the best mpg I have ever got from a VW aircooled.

The heads and Fi system can be bought pretty cheap here (much less than dual webers).

Just wondering why people don't go this route instead of new dual carbs Amor even single carbs?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican Fuel Injection 1600dp... why no love here? Reply with quote

Because many people or thier mechanics don't understand FI and think it's some sort of scary witchcraft (even though FI is easier and cheaper to set up and tune than most carbs), or maybe they just like to go "old school" and have a certain look under the decklid.
There's lots of us running FI (Mexi and Bosch), we just don't make as much noise as the carb people do because we are out driving while they fiddle with thier carbs. Razz

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican Fuel Injection 1600dp... why no love here? Reply with quote

I would prefer to have F.I. You mentioned inexpensive. Do tell us or at least me how inexpensive.
What is involved with converting from sinlge center mount or even dual carbs to Mexico F.I.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Also, Reply with quote

Do tell us (if you don't have the experience, that's fine)

If the Mexi Fuel Injection is any better than early German fuel injection.

Not wanting to start a flame war here, but that dad blasted stuff was the reason I got rid of my squareback back in the day.

Besides that, some of us are already cutting carbs off of our diets,

Perhaps we don't want to deprive our rides of them for that reason Smile
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican Fuel Injection 1600dp... why no love here? Reply with quote

I did a mexi swap into a good friends 71 super

Link

it is simply amazing to drive....no b.s. just get in and go

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Bennym777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican Fuel Injection 1600dp... why no love here? Reply with quote

I am not an expert on the exact procedure to exchange.

Last night a bought a 1996 bug with a nice running Fi and solid floorpan. It cost me around $500 bucks.

That was a great deal as they normally go for a round $1200 dollars.

A dual carb system down here new is expensive (double barrel webers are around $12000 pesos).

The Fi engine runs so smooth it almost sounds electric. Has great power..comparable to my current dual kadron set up..

The engine block is the same. I have seen the intake, fuel system and cpu for $200-350 in the local vw breakers.

The distributor is different and they go for around $150 new and are bosch originals.

The last part is the heads which I believe have sensors and are hydraulic..these go for around $300.

Its a digifant system and has more in common with the 1990īs vw golfs and vandagon than the older system (some of the parts work on both).

And its much better for the enviroment..has catalytic convertor and never runs rich.
Bennym777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican Fuel Injection 1600dp... why no love here? Reply with quote

Sorry dual webers are around $20,000 pesos ($1200 bucks)

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-523214442-...-vocho-_JM
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican Fuel Injection 1600dp... why no love here? Reply with quote

one thing that I think scares USA buyers away is lack of parts. they are a bit more difficult to procure here but not impossible

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican Fuel Injection 1600dp... why no love here? Reply with quote

Laughing

I fully understand why...Vw owners are cheap.. and the majority have archaic styles and skills.

A carb overhaul (gasket) kit is .. $15 bucks.. most will ravage the kitchen for cleaning products as opposed to buying anything else and will do the best they can to try to clean one in an afternoon.
Thats way better than scavenging odd and obscure parts to basically make an engine perform much better with fuel injection.

Plus I dont think that John Muir ever covered fuel injection...
(I dont know.. never read the book)
There isn't a forum big enough to handle all the questions that would arise... Laughing

Dont get me wrong... Im a fuel injection guy.. and I've been intrigued by the simple Mexican system.
It's not too surprising. Its supply and demand.. No demand... so no one will supply... not even a reasonably priced "kit".

The biggest disadvantage.. most VW drivers.... only know plug and play parts, do like to tinker.... and when the electric voodoo system has issues.. it would likely be removed in lieu of a carb system.

A system can be built with off the shelf (or salvage) parts if so desired.
Basic modern fuel injection systems .. are pretty simple..
No reason a throttle body injection based system couldn't be adapted easily.

Bottom line.... its still cheaper and easier.. to keep an ole' carburetor ...
Simple car.. most choose to keep it simple..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bennym777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican Fuel Injection 1600dp... why no love here? Reply with quote

Not sure about The cheap, a lot of very nice/expensive cars and engines here!

I totally get that people stick with a stock carb. But a lot upgrade to duals and then bigger duals etc.

The promise of duals is better performance and fuel economy...exactly what the fi offers but better.

The dealers and a lot of samba members love to talk down to clients (not all) as if they are idiots for not understanding the delicate set-up of duals.

Most will learn a lot more than they bargained for making the change to duals.

The time invested in this process could be used to learn about fi and would yield better results in my opinion. It's very obvious what all the sensors do..it isn't so obvious what's going on inside a carb at different rpm.

I am a little bit biased as I have lots of kids and work and my priority is different. I would recommend the fi to anyone in the same position as I am (wants to drive more than wrench).

A lot of people only have a few hrs at the weekend to install and if it's not right have to drive an over rich/lean crappy etc car for a week until they get another chance.

Also as it says above, German cars get slowly more Chinese without the right buget.

I am thankful when I bought a VW I went through all the different set ups and made mistakes in all. It's a great learning process and not too expensive.

But I ended up where I really wanted to start (the buggy I bought was carb and I followed that trail) and am surprised more people haven't arrived at the same point.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican Fuel Injection 1600dp... why no love here? Reply with quote

I've had my Digifant based FI car ('96 Mexican Beetle with an ACD engine) for 4 years, and can say nothing but good things about it.

As far as getting parts, some would have to be sourced from Mexico, but some are the same as the water cooled cars (ie the coil).

I don't think a conversion of an existing carb based engine would be straightforward, but doable. Don't forget that you also would require the ECU and fuel pump (which is mounted on a bracket under the fuel tank).

If you are going to use the stock muffler/catalytic convertor, the rear apron would have to be modified. There are also some minor body differences around the tin.

They may be more, maybe some of experts can chime in.....
1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: