Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bought an old Vanagon ~ starts, then dies
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbot88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:51 am    Post subject: Bought an old Vanagon ~ starts, then dies Reply with quote

i got a non-op 86 Vanagon GL 2.1 about six months ago. It looked like it was in really good condition so i bought it (700 USD, awesome)

i have done a bunch of regular engine maintenance since. it has started and ran a few times.

The Problem is it fires and runs as long as I'm cranking but as soon as i stop cranking and the key goes to the 'on' position it will die. i think it is some electrical issue. if anyone can help me i would greatly appreciate it.

i replaced
fuel lines(all fuel hoses)
fuel injectors
spark plugs
fuel pump/filter
ignition switch (old one stopped working)
air filter
fuel pump Relays (in the back)
ECU
gas tank
ignition coil (i think the old one was ok but)
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an 86.
When you turn the key on, the fuel pump buzzes..... Then stops.
Does yours?
When you activate the starter the fuel pump is energized.

The fuel pump and the entire injection system will not be energized if the main power relay in the relay box next to the fuel pump relay isn't activated.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also go to the FAQ section, scroll down to Technical Information and Online Manuals for lots of good reading.....
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6236040#6236040

Click on this link, make this tool and follow the how to use instructions.

You will be able to isolate your problem.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=349429

Welcome to the site!
You've done well replacing some wear items, especially the fuel lines.

I see you've replaced your injectors. Hopefully with the proper ones?
If you just got them from your FLAPS, hopefully you saved your old ones.

If so, send them out to be cleaned and renewed, OEM injectors have proven themselves superior to generic after market units. Reuse them when possible.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbot88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought an old Vanagon ~ starts, then dies Reply with quote

thanks for your response. i just got my 86 vanagon back from the mechanic. he couldn't figure it out . luckily he didn't charge me much.

i will look into getting the old fuel injectors cleaned, they look pretty good and I'm sure they will be superior to the new ones i've got.

the fuel pump buzzes when the key is turned. the new pump, filter and fuel lines shouldn't be the problem. my dad suggested after thanksgiving dinner that the pickup coil in the distributer itself may be the problem.

the wiring bypass is a good idea, i will try that soon if i can

thanks for your help, the 86 is really iffy with the wiring or so i have read. i just can't wait to drive the thing!
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought an old Vanagon ~ starts, then dies Reply with quote

The problem could also be the ignition switch. The ignition pathway in the start position can be good, but when the key is released to the ignition on position the switch loses contact.

Hans
cbot88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought an old Vanagon ~ starts, then dies Reply with quote

I did replace the ignition switch because it broke and stopped turning over.
Could it still be a problem?

I think the problem is the pickup coil in the distributor. I have read about an 86 with a bad pickup coil making a noise and heard one when I picked it up at the mechanic's I cranked it up a couple times. I can't think of anything else it could be at this point accept the fuse box.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: Bought an old Vanagon ~ starts, then dies Reply with quote

cbot88 wrote:
I did replace the ignition switch because it broke and stopped turning over.
Could it still be a problem?

I think the problem is the pickup coil in the distributor. I have read about an 86 with a bad pickup coil making a noise and heard one when I picked it up at the mechanic's I cranked it up a couple times. I can't think of anything else it could be at this point accept the fuse box.

Put a meter on the ignition switch and find out, you can actually put a meter on one of the fuses in the fuse box that is connected to the #15 circuit and see if it has power when the key is in the "ON" position.

You can also check for power at the ignition coil.

When you turn the key to "ON" position you should be able to hear the FI relay click.
cbot88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought an old Vanagon ~ starts, then dies Reply with quote

I finally have my shop cleaned out enough to move in my 86 Vanagon and i have enough room in there to work on it.

The state of my Vanagon is the same after i replaced the hall sensor.

The fuel pump doesn't always buzz but when it does it will usually fire and run for about a second. Sometimes when the key is turned to the 'on' position the fuel pump will buzz until i turn the key to 'off'. This makes me think that the refurbished ECU I have is not in very good working order.

Also, sometimes when the key is turned to 'on' (not cranking) the engine will turn over and the tach will go all the way up and I will hear a loud buzzing sound.

I have made the bypass wire that djkeev suggested but it doesn't fire with the bypass tool at all.

I'm pretty sure that I have replaced all the major components now that I have a new hall sensor but I'll recap:

I replaced
all fuel hoses
fuel injectors (I still have the old ones)
spark plugs
fuel pump/filter
ignition switch (old one stopped working)
air filter
Relays (in the back)
ECU
battery
gas tank
ignition coil (I think the old one was ok but)
hall sensor
temp 2 sensor

I have my air flow meter unplugged because I don't have a new one and I read that you can just unplug it.

I think that my problem might be the wiring to the ignition switch. I might have a short somewhere because my battery won't stay charged.

Anyway this is the situation and I could really use some help. I've been pretty discouraged by the whole thing. If there are any TheSamba guys in NE Oklahoma I could use a hand with an ECU swap.
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought an old Vanagon ~ starts, then dies Reply with quote

Not clear if you ever able to drive it in any distance. Was the van stored for a long time before you bought it?

A less obvious, could you simply have very staled gasoline in the tank because it is in the tank for so long? Gasoline can lose (evaporate) most of the volatile component that sustaining combustion is difficult.

what Isolde wants Isolde doesn't always get, 4 I know what is best for her - Liebe macht frei
cbot88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought an old Vanagon ~ starts, then dies Reply with quote

It had been sitting for a few years when i bought it. (License plate is 2011)
Replacing the gas tank was the first thing i did. The old one was rusted through in a couple places.
I took it to a local mechanic and he said he drove it around the block once but I don't know if I believe him. It has run for about a minute on two different occasions with months in between. I'm going to check the wiring to the ignition switch but to call me an amateur would be really generous.

I forgot to mention before. I have a mystery wire (white) coming out of my harness right in front of my ignition coil on the left side of the compartment. It has 12 volts going through it when the key is at the 'on' position. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Bought an old Vanagon ~ starts, then dies Reply with quote

If the diagnosis harness does not help, you need to back to basics.

Is the fuel pump actually delivering fuel into the system?
What volume and pressure are being delivered?

Does the ignition system have power at the coil?
Is the distributor turning as it should?

Is the firing order correct from the distributor to spark plugs?

Is the injection system powered?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gibbons Glass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: 84 Westy stars then dies Reply with quote

My van will turn over fine and then die immediately. When I turn the key the radio and wipers and dash lights will not work and then will for a second. They keep cutting out. I tried to jump the battery but that was not the prob. I thought it might be the s boot or vacuum tubes but the electrical problem makes me think that it might be the relay.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: 84 Westy stars then dies Reply with quote

Gibbons Glass wrote:
My van will turn over fine and then die immediately. When I turn the key the radio and wipers and dash lights will not work and then will for a second. They keep cutting out. I tried to jump the battery but that was not the prob. I thought it might be the s boot or vacuum tubes but the electrical problem makes me think that it might be the relay.

New ignition switches cost around $10-15 the last time I checked.
manydubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Bought an old Vanagon ~ starts, then dies Reply with quote

cbot88 wrote:

I forgot to mention before. I have a mystery wire (white) coming out of my harness right in front of my ignition coil on the left side of the compartment. It has 12 volts going through it when the key is at the 'on' position. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow.

This sound like the wire that connects to the positive side of the coil to power the coil.

With it unplugged do you have 12V at the coil?
tilstad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought an old Vanagon ~ starts, then dies Reply with quote

Loose battery clamp.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: