Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cforman249
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:45 am    Post subject: Engine Reply with quote

Hi there
I know pretty much nothing about VW engines, I was wondering if somone on here could have a look at some of these photos of the engine and tell me what is wrong or right with it.
I know looking at a couple of photos may not be enough for you to determine what is correct or incorrect, but anything will be much appreciated Smile

Many thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Reply with quote

What helped me initially (and still helps) is to look through the gallery section and find a similar year engine that is all sorted out. Go from there and you will see many glaring issues, and maybe many other issues that we can't see from angles not pictured.

Curt
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Reply with quote

It looks like your typical daily driver VW engine. You are missing heater and intake preheat hoses. It looks like the steel fuel line to the fuel pump is missing, now replaced with a rubber line and a plastic fuel filter. The factory fuel pump you have came with a little washable filter in it, so the factory didn't use a separate filter.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Reply with quote

Find the manual for your car here. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/type1.php
Lots of info under the technical tab at the top of TheSamba.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Reply with quote

The generator is positioned wrong. The plug in should be at the 2 o'clock position, not 11 o'clock for cooling purposes.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Reply with quote

jwp67 wrote:
The generator is positioned wrong. The plug in should be at the 2 o'clock position, not 11 o'clock for cooling purposes.

This, and all the other stuff previously mentioned. Do NOT run that VW until you get those hoses installed from fan shroud outlets down, and make sure there are no holes in the engine tin, you should NOT be able to see the ground !!!

Plus bad fuel lines, filter near distributor, stuff like that.

Basically - this had been owned by someone or someones we classify here as "DPO", or dumb previous owner - someone who knew little about mechanical work, and little about VWs. But should be fixable, mostly labor.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Reply with quote

get the fuel filter away from the heat riser thats a fire waiting to happen...the carbs are universal and come with ports for autostick applications ,vacuum retard style distributors,and throttle positioners(useless emission equipment)...so all the stuff plugged off isn't a problem...may have later model accelerator cable installed cause end looks too long...might not be opening the carb all the way at full throttle
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Reply with quote

Let us know where you located, you could be just down the road.
Do check out photos in the gallery for proper STOCK engine hoses etc.
Obtain service manuals. Do go thru all of the maintenance on the engine and trans as you have not clue as to when it done last.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Reply with quote

What's up with the three phillips head screws in the carb? Looks like a wood screw and two machine screws.
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
What's up with the three phillips head screws in the carb? Looks like a wood screw and two machine screws.

Those are just plugging off the unused vacuum lines.
volksnhousin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Reply with quote

The holes in the rear tin work should also be looked at. If you have factory heat exchangers on the exhaust you need to attach the big hoses from the sides of the fan shroud to the exchangers: The big hoses go through those holes in the tin. http://jcsvwparts.com/wp-content/uploads/New-Stock-TK-11.jpg If you are running J pipes you should plug or seal off the holes in the back tin with pieces of sheet metal and a few sheet metal screws. Also if you are running J pipes you should plug off the fan shroud holes. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1842139

Those sort of frightening looking home brew hose with screw plugs on the carb probably work just fine and you shouldn’t worry about them to much… It looks like it has a newer aftermarket SVDA (Single vacuum dual advance) distributor. The distributor advance hose appears to be hooked up properly and everything else is plugged off which would be correct for that distributor.… The carb plugs look ugly but probably work fine.

Concentrate on fixing: Fuel filter, fuel hoses, generator position, hole situation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Reply with quote

I don't see any generator pulley shims. This means either you've got them all installed between the pulley halves, or you're short a couple which would be rather undesireable due to the possibility of damaging the pulley or having a slipping V belt. Speaking of which, the V belt is riding quite high in between the pulley halves, almost even with the edge of the pulley, indicating either a stretched belt or one of improper size being installed. You may reference the leftmost picture in the owner's manual page posted earlier by Q-Dog to see how a serviceable V velt should appear when properly installed.

I would be a bit concerned about the electric choke element wire as it appears to have no insulation on the metal terminal end and is currently residing in close proximity to the underside of the oil bath air cleaner; if it were to come in contact with the air cleaner a short would result, and being on a circuit without fused protection, the wiring would come to grief, possibly resulting in the car ceasing to function (or an engine fire if the wire happens to overheat and melt where it passes by the fuel line entering the carburetor). Installation of a new insulated terminal or shrink tube over the existing terminal should sort things out.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Let us know where you located, you could be just down the road.

He doesn't want to give his location because he's looking at a possible great buy and doesn't want anyone swooping in and grabbing it out from under him. Understandable.
There's nothing in that engine bay that can't be corrected within about 10 minutes. A few hoses, clock the generator 90°, you're good to go

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Reply with quote

Since he's started another thread about passing MOT, my bet would be he's in Ol' Blighty and is concerned about failing inspection on a recent purchase.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Reply with quote

Addition to everything else mentioned the generator hold down clamp is installed wrong. This is a very common mistake should be installed with the bolt down under the oil fill. As it is becomes a chafing point for the wire harness. Since this generators installed ass backwards if you do take it apart make sure the inner backing plate is installed correctly so the generator can cool,also a common mistake. Good example of what 40 plus years of hackery can look like,what's the rest of the car like?
DeathTrap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Good example of what 40 plus years of hackery can look like,what's the rest of the car like?

Like the engine all original and in "mint" condition.

Sadly a rare find these days. Even as is.
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Reply with quote

AB motor - 1300dp

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Reply with quote

At least the PO used the correct hose clamps, instead of the more common worm screw type that really chew into the rubber on non-braided fuel lines.

No big thing, but I'd also put a dab of grease on the ends of your throttle return spring there. I've seen the spring eat completely through the little holes over time. Looking at the the top hole in yours, it looks like the spring has already started on its way down.

cforman249 wrote:

The only other thing I can think to add is to make sure you give your air cleaner a good cleaning and put fresh oil in it.

Good luck, man.
cforman249
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Reply with quote

Thank you all for the useful responses, it's good to know there are people out there who know what they're talking about, unlike myself.
There are a few things that I'd like to say/ask
When I bought the car, it came with a large box full of "bits and bobs". I believe the heat exchange pipes (I think that's what they're called) are in there but I'm not sure what condition they're in, I may put a few photos of them up so you could judge them.
There is also a 'small' oil leak, should fixing this be high on my priority list?
I currently live in the UK (Staffordshire area) so if you'd like to 'examine' the engine yourself then please feel free:)
Many thanks

PS- it's a 72 Bug
cforman249
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Reply with quote

Here's a photo of the car
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: