Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

tiptronic transmission
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
effvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: tiptronic transmission Reply with quote

Hi, can anyone tell me the length of the Tiptronic transmission
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: tiptronic transmission Reply with quote

Long! (and wide!)
Assuming you're interested in the 4-speed out of the 964/993, I can get you the measurement, maybe tomorrow.

Thinking of putting one in a VW? It's a foolish endeavor Laughing

I don't think electrickery works that way
Chip Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: tiptronic transmission Reply with quote

Is yours back on the road yet?
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: tiptronic transmission Reply with quote

Chip B. wrote:
Is yours back on the road yet?

Only in the sense that it is back on 4 wheels Laughing I need to finish an aluminum interior for a local racer, then I'll refocus on finishing mine. Maybe it will be ready for VW DragNight next summer.

effvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: tiptronic transmission Reply with quote

Stripped66 wrote:
Long! (and wide!)
Assuming you're interested in the 4-speed out of the 964/993, I can get you the measurement, maybe tomorrow.

Thinking of putting one in a VW? It's a foolish endeavor Laughing

Hi, yes please measure the length and width. I will be modding my Super Beetle, hopefully. I'll be using a automatic torsion housing from a type III automatic, so it won't have frame horns. I'm hoping for no more that 21 inches long and no more than 14 inches wide. Can you post a picture? I have a picture, but there must be copy write.

Lastly, I'm trying to make some decision on just what I can go with. The small amount of reading I have been able to get, shows this trans would make a very good transplant. If only I will fit.http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/g/ZvIAAOSwxH1T6mo-/s-l225.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: tiptronic transmission Reply with quote

For comparison:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And, this should give you an idea how far forward the transmission will sit on the pan (use the back edge of the pan halves as a frame of reference):

A bit more difficult to see, but the back edge of the pan halves are still visible (near the heater channels); the gear stack for the prop-shaft sits several inches in front of where the torsion would be. It is not simply a matter of making space on either side of the front of the trans (which the Type 3 torsion may provide?), but the tunnel has to be cut away to make room for the absurd length of the trans.

You'd certainly be a step ahead if you could manage the swap and retain the stock rear suspension. Even keeping the torsion (any torsion!) would be a leg-up; but, IIRC the IRS inside trailing arm mounts would have to be moved outward due to the width of the trans at the prop-shaft gear stack. Anything's possible as long as you're confident you can do anything.

effvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: tiptronic transmission Reply with quote

Thank you, how long is it.
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: tiptronic transmission Reply with quote

About 28.25" long, from engine mounting surface to front mount surface. There is also a bolt that sits about 3/4" proud of the prop-shaft gear stack, so consider about 29" long, effectively. Budget at least another 2" when clearancing the tunnel for whatever solution you come up with for a front mount.

effvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: tiptronic transmission Reply with quote

[quote="Stripped66"]About 28.25" long, from engine mounting surface to front mount surface. There is also a bolt that sits about 3/4" proud of the prop-shaft gear stack, so consider about 29" long, effectively. Budget at least another 2" when clearancing the tunnel for whatever solution you come up with for a front mount.[/quot/]

Wow 7 inches too long Crying or Very sad
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: tiptronic transmission Reply with quote

effvee wrote:

Don't sound so defeated. Get out your Sawzall and welder Laughing

effvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: tiptronic transmission Reply with quote

Stripped66 wrote:
effvee wrote:

Don't sound so defeated. Get out your Sawzall and welder Laughing

Well,I have looked at your work,nice work to. I can't see cutting into the torsion tube. Your project, even utilizes upper and lower "A"arms. I know that I dont have that kind of skills. That sub chassis should do it. Thank for your help in clearing up this.
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: tiptronic transmission Reply with quote

Fwiw, the ratios in the Tiptronic are ridiculously tall. 3rd is 1.0:1 with a 3.55 (or 3.67) R&P.

Look into the bus automatic. There are a few guys putting serious power through them. Dave Folts builds them and somebody makes/modifies a manual valve body for them. The bus 3 speeds are probably more useful than the first 2 of the Tip.

effvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: tiptronic transmission Reply with quote

I have either a type III automatic, or a bus automatic. I can rebud them to stock level, but lack the valve body knowledge. At one point I started tho rebuild one, I wanted it for my type IV engine. At some point I plan to turbo it using the automatic. I was going to make the vacuum modulator, mechanical modulation for the purpose of turbo charging. O well, back to the drawing board Razz . Thank you for your input.
effvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: tiptronic transmission Reply with quote

Stripped66 wrote:
Fwiw, the ratios in the Tiptronic are ridiculously tall. 3rd is 1.0:1 with a 3.55 (or 3.67) R&P.

Look into the bus automatic. There are a few guys putting serious power through them. Dave Folts builds them and somebody makes/modifies a manual valve body for them. The bus 3 speeds are probably more useful than the first 2 of the Tip.

Hi, I just found a tiptronic that had a final drive on the left hand side and shorter. I this one for the Audi?

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: tiptronic transmission Reply with quote

be sure to check to see if you have a bunch of reverses &one forward or... your going back to the future.... be nice if you could flip the ringear.
effvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: tiptronic transmission Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
be sure to check to see if you have a bunch of reverses &one forward or... your going back to the future.... be nice if you could flip the ringear.

Real bummer Crying or Very sad
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: tiptronic transmission Reply with quote

effvee wrote:

Hi, I just found a tiptronic that had a final drive on the left hand side and shorter. I this one for the Audi?

Porsche 996.

Sorry man, if you can't spend 5 minutes on Google-images to identify this transmission, please understand that you have an insurmountable challenge ahead of you.

ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: tiptronic transmission Reply with quote

And one thing nobody has mentioned, anything labeled as "Tiptronic" will be a computer controlled transmission that MUST have various inputs such as those from the motor's ecu and speed sensors along with the gear selection/controls.
effvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: tiptronic transmission Reply with quote

Stripped66 wrote:
effvee wrote:

Porsche 996.

Sorry man, if you can't spend 5 minutes on Google-images to identify this transmission, please understand that you have an insurmountable challenge ahead of you.

Well searching the net is how I found the pic shown. And yes it was under the search tiptronic. I now know that the Audi also has and use one. I know that this possibility is very much a impossible task, without compromising the torsion tube. I have a torsion housing assembly from a automatic, I believe a type III.

In the future I'll narrow the search by stating Porsche Tiptronic..
I think that it may be hard to do, but with this type of suspension assembly, and I lot of hope and modding; maybe its possible.

A part of the suspension, the center part, may fit inside the tunnel of the pan.
effvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: tiptronic transmission Reply with quote

ps2375 wrote:
And one thing nobody has mentioned, anything labeled as "Tiptronic" will be a computer controlled transmission that MUST have various inputs such as those from the motor's ecu and speed sensors along with the gear selection/controls.

I'm not sure how the tiptronic ecm will interface with, engine management systems such as AEM,MoTec, and others. The tiptronic only needs rpm and throttle position, to interface with the tiptronic ecm. This will be a learning curve of course Surprised
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: