Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bunnies unknown year Super Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bunnyoken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Bunnies unknown year Super Beetle Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
This is a joke, right?

No sir, no jokes here

DeathTrap wrote:
How's it coming?
Did you start taking it apart yet?
keep us informed about the progress
don't dally get that sucker dissasembled so WE CAN EVALUTE

not yet but i do have the oil draining right now. Now there is some kind of white foamy stuff, any idea what it might be? will get photo after its done draining
bunnyoken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Bunnies unknown year Super Beetle Reply with quote

This is that whtie foamy stuff that looks more gritty now that its out of the engine ( btw this is the back of the oil cap)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is the what is under the oil cap after wiping out the gritty foam

front and back of the clutch disc and pressure plate

Front and back of the flywheel

ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Bunnies unknown year Super Beetle Reply with quote

So this motor was not at the bottom of a lake, but, it appears to have been sitting under a try covered by wet leaves for quite some time. So far, you haven't posted a picture of anything that I would even consider using again.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Bunnies unknown year Super Beetle Reply with quote

bunnyoken wrote:
I'm not too worried if this engine turns out to be a dud for a few reasons.

First I only paid $50 for it
Second this one I figured would be my learning engine
And lastly I bought it expecting it to be a loss

But if it turns out to be a usable core great I am going to use it. If not then I will see what I can recover from it (if anything) then take my new knowledge and some more money and try once again

Very Happy expensive lessens are in your future. Very Happy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Bunnies unknown year Super Beetle Reply with quote

I have bought engines just for core parts though. This one turned out to be all standard, still had factory bearings. Don't get in a hurry. Go to a VW show see what you can get at the swap meet. Very Happy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Bunnies unknown year Super Beetle Reply with quote

Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Bunnies unknown year Super Beetle Reply with quote

Don't let these armchair wannabe mechanics here rain on your parade. I see at least 50 dollars in core parts not to mention the nuts bolts and washers,dist drive,crank gears etc,etc. the flywheel can be resurfaced the rust in the seal area can determine wether it is reusable. Just last year I needed a flywheel and paid 50 for good used. Let us know what it looks like inside. The experience you'll gain just taking this apart is invaluable. Very Happy

People told me this lowlight Ghia was a piece of shit and not to bother. I found a 36 hp engine put it all back together and it sold quickly.

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Bunnies unknown year Super Beetle Reply with quote

Looks like you need to become an expert at rust removal. Simple white vinegar can do wonders. Soak overnight and then use a steel wire brush and screwdriver to scrape the corners. I then soak it overnight in a solution of baking powder to neutralize the acid, otherwise it just flash rusts again. That before picture is not a black painted flap it is a thick rusty flap.

Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Bunnies unknown year Super Beetle Reply with quote

Looks a bit rusty from the outside, but keep at it. I'd not pour cash into it tho. Better off learning as you are on this and see if you can get it running for next to nothing.

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Bunnies unknown year Super Beetle Reply with quote

Bunny, at the bottom of the engine, the shiny silver part is the bottom of the oil strainer. You need to carefully remove it off the 6 small studs (it slips onto them) to determine if the edges of the engine case are corroded and eaten away.

Use a flat-brade screwdriver to work the strainer off each of the studs slightly at a time, then pull off the strainer. Have a catch pan underneath since there will likely still be oil and semi-jellified liquids sitting on the top of the strainer. Then take another shot like you did to show us the engine hole.

Since your engine had its oil cap missing, it is likely that moisture or other small items (crushed acorns, etc) fell through that oil filler hole and into the engine. You will certainly need to take the engine fully apart to clean and assess. You can see debris (leaves, seeds, etc) on top of the cylinders in between the fins of the cylinders in one of your photos. These fins must be unblocked so that the air from the engine fan can blow down the fins for cooling.

Do you have a good repair manual for engines? I can strongly recommend 2 for a first-timer: the perennial favorite "compleat idiot manual" as well as Tom Wilson's book "How to rebuild your aircooled VW engine". The first assumes that you have no technical knowledge so that the language is really basic'; the second one breaks the engine down from the extemities inward just like you will.

We're all glad to help you with your findings, and provide encouragement with the engine so please continue to update us, even if you are hesitant on what to do next.
bunnyoken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Bunnies unknown year Super Beetle Reply with quote

Okay so here is the top of the oil filter thing

And here is a new photo of the hole with it cleaned .. . Kinda

Can't do much else today due to all the rain, but I will try and get the tin off next. May have to use a screw extractor again to get the screws off. But at least I can find replacements at the hardware store and they are stainless steel.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Bunnies unknown year Super Beetle Reply with quote

I think you are asking for trouble wanting to build/refurb a car in a place that limits you so much on what and how much you can do. Cause this is an automobile, and being such, simple things can snowball quickly into a not so simple thing that cause you problems with things other than the car. GL
bunnyoken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Bunnies unknown year Super Beetle Reply with quote

Okay time for today's update

I started to remove the tin screws but a couple of them are just to rusted or stripped from the last person whole worked on this engine. I am going to have to wait til i get my drill back from my brother in law to use the screw extractor on them.

Few new photos to share with ya'll.

Some sort of filter?

And under the filter
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Bunnies unknown year Super Beetle Reply with quote

Bunny, as someone said above “expensive lessons are in your future”.
From your questions, and all, may I suggest you buy/get/steal a Bentley (or any VW) manual, any year.

There is soooo, so much you don’t know, you need the manual, just to get an idea of what stuff is and what it’s for.

Right now, you’re attempting to build a car, with your eyes closed.

While you may not have to money to buy a decent, running car at the moment, your course of action ensures you won’t have the money for years and years to come. Unless you win the lottery.
Getting that motor to run at all is gonna be in the $1200 to $1500 range. And that’s if you’re lucky. And unless you’re a trained and/or experienced trans rebuilder, have the proper tools and an adequate shop, I’d suggest you don’t go there. There are many, highly experienced VW folks here. Most of them leave trannny work to the professionals.

Buy a manual. Use it for ref as you tear into what you have and learn as you go. (At best, it’s worth some cores. Not much there worth refurb.) Save your $$$.
Then buy the best-est, complete-est, non-rusty-est car you can find. You’ll be $$$ ahead in the long and short run.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fred69vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Bunnies unknown year Super Beetle Reply with quote

Bunny,

Not my business but just want to let you know what to expect. I bought a 69 'vert back in 2007. Good running car, looked nice too. Looks can be deceiving. About 8 months later I discovered the bondo-encased cardboard, some in body structural members.

2 years and untold $$ later I have a 69 'vert, with a 68 body (couldn't fix all the rust), rebuilt engine, replaced transmission. Now because I skimped and painted it myself I have to paint it again.

SO....tear that engine ALL THE WAY DOWN and have it inspected by a VW expert. If you invest the money to build an engine on a bad crankcase, you're just throwing it away.

I would try to find a car in decent shape that is running. At least you'll have an idea what to start with.

On the other hand, when I was in the Navy I took a course on engine rebuilding. The instructor (a CPO in the ship's tractor shop) went to a junkyard and picked up a V8 with a cracked water jacket. Basically a junk engine. But we learned how to tear down and rebuild that engine, and even had it running (before it was discarded over the side from the carrier's aircraft elevator). You can use this engine to learn how to build one.

1969 VW convertible, "Heidi"
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Bunnies unknown year Super Beetle Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
Find a good car first.

Wow, that's to the point, very blunt. I also say find a decent one.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Bunnies unknown year Super Beetle Reply with quote

bunnyoken wrote:

Some sort of filter?

That is more of a splash guard. The clockwise spinning engine is slinging a lot of oil in the general direction of the oil filler tube. To keep the oil from sloshing out the clever german engineers put that plate there to block most of the splashing oil.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Bunnies unknown year Super Beetle Reply with quote

Air-Cooled Head wrote:
From your questions, and all, may I suggest you buy/get/steal a Bentley (or any VW) manual . . .

Do this A.S.A.P.!!!!!!!

Air-Cooled Head wrote:
Bunny, as someone said above “expensive lessons are in your future”.

You spent $50 for a core engine (that is possibly nothing more than scrap) . . . you didn't break the bank and you ARE learning from it, RIGHT?
You will now have a much better idea of what to look for next time, so don't sweat it . . . keep on buggin'!

Air-Cooled Head wrote:
. . . buy the best-est, complete-est, non-rusty-est car you can find.

VERY GOOD ADVICE!!!!
And if you have a good engine, your car search will NOT be limited to cars with engines . . . around here, a quite large percentage of early Beetles for sale have NO engine!
I would much rather buy a solid, straight car that's missing an engine than buy a running car that's been wrecked or ventilated with rust holes!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Bunnies unknown year Super Beetle Reply with quote

The Bentley manual is a horrible choice for the beginning builder. While every step is completely accurate the steps are not in an order that would result in a running engine. To use the Bentley you need to know exactly what steps are needed and the order of them occuring and just need to check the tolerances, or torque specs as you go to make sure things are done by the book. To actually build a motor using that manual requires one to hop all over the book to read how to do each step, but without knowing which step is next that is a very daunting task.

Tom Wilson's manual on rebuilding an aircooled VW engine goes from step 1 on, in the correct order with everything spelled out. A much better choice for this novice engine builder. Read the page, do what it says, read the next page. Put a bookmarker in when you get done for the evening.
herbie13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Bunnies unknown year Super Beetle Reply with quote

As the previous poster said, Tom Wilson's book is invaluable. Also, find a copy of the book "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive", by John Muir. It's a straight forward approach to living with your air cooled Volkswagen, and how to take care of it. You can find a used copy at used book stores.

As another rebuilding source take a look at the "Bug Me Video's" volumes 2 & 3. They cover pulling the motor and clutch, and complete engine rebuilding. http://www.bugmevideo.com/volume3.html

Also, the H5 engine case is a 1969 case. I had an old time VW mechanic tell me that "...yep, the H5 case is okay, but the material is pretty soft. When it's time for a rebuild you'd be better off getting a different case." Just one man's opinion. I still have my H5.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: