Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Peanut oil exhaust anti rust treatment
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Peanut oil exhaust anti rust treatment Reply with quote

Somehow I have overlooked this thread, and every reference to peanut oil seasoning made on the Samba. Interesting concept. Think Makes sense to me.

I have a one year old mild steel exhaust on my 1.8t conversion. As I live in Southern Cali it is still in near new condition despite about 10,000 miles of driving. Of course, the worst it has seen is rain. It seems this would be the time to season it, before it eventually looks like Kam's exhaust. Cool

What the hell, you've got me intrigued. I'll have to swing by Wally World and pick up some supplies. Wink My plan will be to season everything post turbo.

I'll take pictures of the process as I wonder how it will end up looking working with clean metal.

And I am hungry now. Thanks.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Peanut oil exhaust anti rust treatment Reply with quote

Very curious to see how the peanut oil works with the heat produced by the turbo charger.

Flint's 1.8Ts downpipes glow red at times.

Some extra care may be needed while treating and seasoning.

Looking forward to your experience and pictures.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Peanut oil exhaust anti rust treatment Reply with quote

Tim,

Go back a little and think of seasoning a new frying pan as mentioned.
Does Mr. Peanut stick to the frying pan?
Absolutely.
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Peanut oil exhaust anti rust treatment Reply with quote

I don't doubt it will work. My initial mental reservations were in line with Dylans comments, due to the heat of the turbo. But, with smooth, clean steel to work with, it won't take a lot of oil to coat it. I do think it prudent to avoid driving with a lot of boost until the excess has burned off. No need to test the flash point of peanut oil with a glowing exhaust.

And if I do successfully treat the pipes without burning down my van Shocked , the waterboxer users will have no need to worry about fire dangers in treating theirs. Laughing

But seeing the pictures of the used pipes getting treated, it is obvious the treatment would prolong life. I'll let you know in 20 years if it helped.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Peanut oil exhaust anti rust treatment Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:

It is very unfortunate I have zero photographic equipment, I don't take any pictures.

The edge on your chisel need sharpening T.K.?
Sorry, I just could not resist. Perhaps you could paint a picture using peanut oil. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Peanut oil exhaust anti rust treatment Reply with quote

Smoke Signal pictures.

Hell, I still wait for my Crosley TV & radio tubes to warm up--The computer takes up an entire room--
plus there isn't any place around that developes pictures anymore--
Nothing is as simple as it used to be--

Tim, how hot do you think that pipe gets at the turbo-More than 400 degrees?
I'd apply the oil sparingly in that location--see how it goes.
A little at a time there would be a good idea--till it gets sucked into the metal.
Forthwithtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Peanut oil exhaust anti rust treatment Reply with quote

Tis the season:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/zip/5334090846.html

Free anti-rust treatment!! Check your local CL for a lifetime supply...

(Might have a slight scent of Turkey)

'84 GL with 2001/2004 Subaru 2.5L
madmax25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Peanut oil exhaust anti rust treatment Reply with quote

I slathered one coat of peanut oil on my new system back in like 07, never got around to reapplying it though. It burned off eventually, but seems like it kept rust from starting for a while. Certainly smelled good. Got lazy though, especially with the spoiling CA weather, and now the system looks like the usual Titanic wreckage you see on most drivers.

I did just move to Kansas City and will be getting my first taste of salt this month, so am looking at trying this again. A few months ago, I tried a modified version of this during an oil change. Fueled by a few beers, I remembered this method and decided to smear most of the pipes with the readily available pan of used motor oil. Bad idea. Smoked like crazy for a few startups, and smelled like an oil-leaking beater instead of fresh pancakes. Suppose it might have helped in the same manner a bit, but I definitely felt dumb for not just using peanut oil instead.

'88 Vanagon GL "Big Red"
'90 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Peanut oil exhaust anti rust treatment Reply with quote

I read the article about seasoning cast iron skillets on page two of this tread and decided Linseed oil was the superior oil for this application. I just got done putting 4 applications on my beetle exhaust, which just happens to fit in the oven. That shiny oil glean in the picture is completely dried on oil. Of course I won't be posting about durability until next year.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This method did make the house stink. Rolling Eyes Usually I put up the fake plastic Christmas tree this weekend. I went with a cut tree, hopefully the pine scent will keep the wife from complaining about the smell. Wink
pedrokrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Peanut oil exhaust anti rust treatment Reply with quote

Thanks madmax25 for your input. Greatly appreciated!
madmax25 wrote:
I slathered one coat of peanut oil on my new system back in like 07, never got around to reapplying it though. It burned off eventually, but seems like it kept rust from starting for a while. Certainly smelled good. Got lazy though, especially with the spoiling CA weather, and now the system looks like the usual Titanic wreckage you see on most drivers.
Do you remember how many years it took for the one coat of peanut oil to start to burn off completely? Then starting to rust? Just to give us an idea...

madmax25 wrote:
II did just move to Kansas City and will be getting my first taste of salt this month, so am looking at trying this again. A few months ago, I tried a modified version of this during an oil change. Fueled by a few beers, I remembered this method and decided to smear most of the pipes with the readily available pan of used motor oil. Bad idea. Smoked like crazy for a few startups, and smelled like an oil-leaking beater instead of fresh pancakes. Suppose it might have helped in the same manner a bit, but I definitely felt dumb for not just using peanut oil instead.
Ahhh good to know about the bad smell of engine oil. Thanks for your experience, good or bad!!! Wink Wink Wink
1989 vanagon Karmann Gipsy #652, TDI AFN
1991 vanagon westfalia conversion TDI ALH Silverfox
ex-1989 vanagon syncro passenger Syncrofox (Sold)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=598791&highlight=
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493964&highlight=speed+aap+trans
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=496589&highlight=carrier+bars
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=506025
pedrokrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Peanut oil exhaust anti rust treatment Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I read the article about seasoning cast iron skillets on page two of this tread and decided Linseed oil was the superior oil for this application. I just got done putting 4 applications on my beetle exhaust, which just happens to fit in the oven. That shiny oil glean in the picture is completely dried on oil. Of course I won't be posting about durability until next year.
>
>
>
This method did make the house stink. Rolling Eyes Usually I put up the fake plastic Christmas tree this weekend. I went with a cut tree, hopefully the pine scent will keep the wife from complaining about the smell. Wink

Thanks ptjjb for posting a nice picture! Your beetle exhaust looks like it will last a long time. Can you take a close-up of your exhaust, just to see how well the metal dryed up, to compare with the other pics on this thread? Thanks in advance!

Edit: Forgot to ask how long did you leave it in the oven, and for how many degrees? And did you make thin coats, or thick coats? Tx!!!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493964&highlight=speed+aap+trans
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Peanut oil exhaust anti rust treatment Reply with quote

what product that is often used to treat pop-tops is mostly linseed oil???
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Peanut oil exhaust anti rust treatment Reply with quote

Penetrol?

Very, extremely, bodaciously flamable.

Rags that have it in them will burn spontaneously--without being oven baked.

Yep, just read the side of the can.
Stoddard solvent, soy long oil, heat polemertized linseed oil, naptha.

Last edited by Terry Kay on Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Peanut oil exhaust anti rust treatment Reply with quote

What color was the Beetle exhaust to begin with?
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Peanut oil exhaust anti rust treatment Reply with quote

I took a minute to look up linseed oil all by itself.

Ahh-- mr.bug man.
I sure hope you passed out respiratory devices to your wife & kids in your home, then tossed out the oven.

I'll stick with the peanut oil, & cooking it on the vehicle.

This linseed oil is nasty stuff, will cause a quick check out, plus being extreamly flamable.

Go for it , your on own on this caper.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Peanut oil exhaust anti rust treatment Reply with quote

it's fine you're downwind of me - go for it
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Peanut oil exhaust anti rust treatment Reply with quote

as the self appointed resident expert on metals and all things heat related i soundly conclude that :
a) peanut oil is perfect for this application.
b) using linseed oil is insane and wont work very well,instead either safflower oil or avocado oil both have fairly high flashpoints. you wnat to be as close to 550 as you can get as most exhaust systems are around 500 degrees.
c)frying pan,spot on.

thread is outcaststudios approved.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Peanut oil exhaust anti rust treatment Reply with quote

pedrokrusher wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
>
>
>

Thanks ptjjb for posting a nice picture! Your beetle exhaust looks like it will last a long time. Can you take a close-up of your exhaust, just to see how well the metal dryed up, to compare with the other pics on this thread? Thanks in advance!

Edit: Forgot to ask how long did you leave it in the oven, and for how many degrees? And did you make thin coats, or thick coats? Tx!!!

I wire brushed to get the loose rust off. I coated it with linseed oil and then wiped the linseed oil off with a paper towel. I then put it in the oven at 500 degrees for 1 and 1/4 hours. Let it cool enough to painfully pick up and repeat with a coat of oil and wipe it off. I was following the instructions on treating a cast iron skillet since I was aiming for that nice cast iron skillet durable, rustproof and slippery surface.

The linseed oil was mostly odorless although our eyes burned and my wife kept asking why I am cooking onions again. When I did the heater boxes I washed off as much of the motor oil caused by the leaky valve covers as I could but the smell was horrendous.

The close up photo's don't really show much. The shiny surface of the muffler looks wet, but is baked on oil, the pitted surface is not nearly as badly pitted.

insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Peanut oil exhaust anti rust treatment Reply with quote

My oiled J pipe after 500+ miles:

it has seen plenty of highway speeds?
No more smell.
The heat is definitely coming out of the top of the pipe.
This vehicle has not driven in any rain yet either.

The header in the background has not been coated to show what the pre coated Jpipe looked like.
pedrokrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Peanut oil exhaust anti rust treatment Reply with quote

outcaststudios wrote:
as the self appointed resident expert on metals and all things heat related i soundly conclude that :
a) peanut oil is perfect for this application.
b) using linseed oil is insane and wont work very well,instead either safflower oil or avocado oil both have fairly high flashpoints. you wnat to be as close to 550 as you can get as most exhaust systems are around 500 degrees.
c)frying pan,spot on.

thread is outcaststudios approved.

Thanks outcaststudios!
"thread is outcaststudios approved." thats pretty cool... Cool

I went to check on your profile and it says you are a foundryman... Very very very interesting! Cool Cool Cool
You are now named our "official resident expert on metals and all things heat related"! Applause Applause Applause

Can you explain what happens to the exhaust pipe metal coated with peanut oil?
What makes peanut oil stick for a long time on metal pipes?
Does it penetrate the metal?
Does it stick to the surface?
Whats different than seasoning a frying pan?

Sorry for all the questions... Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 13

Jump to: