Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Short Steel Brake Lines at wheel
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris garrett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Short Steel Brake Lines at wheel Reply with quote

Does anyone sell the short, steel, U-shaped brake lines at each wheel?
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Short Steel Brake Lines at wheel Reply with quote

NAPA, O'Reilly's, Bumper to Bumper, Pep Boy's, any local FLAPS.
physast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Short Steel Brake Lines at wheel Reply with quote

The shortest pre fitted you can find at the FLAPS is 8 inch I think. You might be able to bend this into a coil to fit.

I think http://www.germansupply.com/ sells them shorter and pre fitted.

http://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/product.php?productid=18345&cat=397&page=1

It says these fit upto 85 vanagon but might fit all vanagons.
chris garrett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Short Steel Brake Lines at wheel Reply with quote

I was asking if there was a source for ready-mades.
chris garrett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Short Steel Brake Lines at wheel Reply with quote

Hey thanks Physast. That's just what I need. Thank you.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Short Steel Brake Lines at wheel Reply with quote

If you need to bend a brake line, here's the tool.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Available at FLAPS or Harbor Freight.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chris garrett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Short Steel Brake Lines at wheel Reply with quote

Nice. Next year I'm going to replace my brake lines. Right now I'm busy with suspension, brakes and ac. Don't want to get in over my head and limited time.
thanks, I may buy that tool when I'm ready.
minsk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Short Steel Brake Lines at wheel Reply with quote

Or make your own Smile

2009 audi a3

www.sunroofsyncro.com
vanagonmechanic.com

http://facebook.com/pittsburghvanagonclub
https://www.youtube.com/minskmade

my super slow 1987 sunroof syncro rebuild
https://goo.gl/photos/7e9MZhHJxGvvv1Tm7

VANAGON STICKERS
https://www.etsy.com/shop/pigeonink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Short Steel Brake Lines at wheel Reply with quote

If you want precicse , consistantly good & accurate bends this is the tool to use--it isn't as cheap as the manual unit pictured in a prior message , but it does twice the job--
& along with that master brake hydaulic flaring tool pictured above you'll have real nice fitting lines.
minsk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Short Steel Brake Lines at wheel Reply with quote

oh nice terry...
now i have to get that tool
thannnnnnnx alot.

Smile
2009 audi a3

www.sunroofsyncro.com
vanagonmechanic.com

VANAGON STICKERS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Short Steel Brake Lines at wheel Reply with quote

Call or chase a Happy Snappy truck--you'll enjoy using it-- Wink

Makes real nice bends--especially in brake lines--
boroko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Short Steel Brake Lines at wheel Reply with quote

Actually purchased yesterday at a Menards building center for under $16:

Maybe not as nice as Snappy, but I don't plan on doing brake lines for a living, just need to get the job done.
Bo
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Short Steel Brake Lines at wheel Reply with quote

I just made up some caliper hard lines for an 86. I used bulk line and flared the ends. I started with 6 inches of tube. What complicates making these is they have a 180 degree bend flowed by a 45 degree bend. Many of the tubing benders don't allow for a tight radius 180 plus the ends on a 6 inch line make it a pretty precise line.
minsk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Short Steel Brake Lines at wheel Reply with quote

im not using steel brake lines..I'm using the copper-nickel line
2009 audi a3

www.sunroofsyncro.com
vanagonmechanic.com

VANAGON STICKERS
physast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Short Steel Brake Lines at wheel Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
I just made up some caliper hard lines for an 86. I used bulk line and flared the ends. I started with 6 inches of tube. What complicates making these is they have a 180 degree bend flowed by a 45 degree bend. Many of the tubing benders don't allow for a tight radius 180 plus the ends on a 6 inch line make it a pretty precise line.

I am in the process of replacing my metal brake lines. I have a 91 and the caliper to soft line on my van is a small U shaped metal line.

Are these different for each year? Im curious because you stated that you have a 180 and 45 bend where I seemed to only have a 180 U shaped bend.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Short Steel Brake Lines at wheel Reply with quote

There are Girling and ATE calipers out there. I imagine the outlet might be in a different place depending on caliper. My recommendation would be to copy what you have, there is also a left and right tube. One is a mirror of the other. Ideally the caliper metal line lays without tension in the caliper fitting as well as the hose bracket.

I used the word "steel" loosely. I am unsure of the make up of the bulk line we use, but it has a green color to the outside of it. It is also metric in size.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Short Steel Brake Lines at wheel Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
... I used the word "steel" loosely. I am unsure of the make up of the bulk line we use, but it has a green color to the outside of it. It is also metric in size.

Bronze is an alloy of copper and tin. Copper oxides are green , but bronze usually gets darker not green. Both copper and bronze form a patina that prevents further oxidation. I think that copper would be a poor choice for brake lines. Some bronze alloys are nearly as strong as mild steel and might be suitable for brake lines. They would outlast steel brakes lines.

CMIIW

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Short Steel Brake Lines at wheel Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
There are Girling and ATE calipers out there. I imagine the outlet might be in a different place depending on caliper. My recommendation would be to copy what you have, there is also a left and right tube. One is a mirror of the other. Ideally the caliper metal line lays without tension in the caliper fitting as well as the hose bracket.

I used the word "steel" loosely. I am unsure of the make up of the bulk line we use, but it has a green color to the outside of it. It is also metric in size.

ATE and Girling have different small hardlines that attach to the flexline.
The brackets that hold the union are similar, but attach to the caliper at different locations.
Each is specific to the brand.
physast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Short Steel Brake Lines at wheel Reply with quote

I have not looked close enough to tell which I have yet. I assume they have markings on the calipers.

I have a 91 westy but have noticed many earlier parts on the van.

I am using the NiCopp lines from advance auto. I was playing with them earlier today and they seem to bend very easy without kinking. I am waiting on two T's from bus depot before I start molding all my lines into place.
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Short Steel Brake Lines at wheel Reply with quote

What kind of brake flaring hand tools are you guys having luck with?

I had very inconsistent results from a few sub-$100 tools like this: www.amazon.com/OTC-6502-Master-Brake-Flaring/dp/B0075XHDHI

Ended up bending pre-flared lines from the FLAPS.

I realize the semi-pros will recommend the $200+ hydraulic tools, but this is impractical for the typical DIY'er ...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: