Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Questions about matching engine to car
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westy Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject: Questions about matching engine to car Reply with quote

Hey all,

I have an early May, 1955 Oval. My problem is that my engine is a '57 engine. I'm just wondering what my options are. Have some questions:

1. If I order a "birth certificate", does it include the engine number?
2. If the birth certificate does include the engine number, is it possible to get the correct number stamped onto my '57 engine and have it look correct?
3. If the birth certificate doesn't include the engine number, then what engines would be a good choice? Do the engines tend to be older than the car since they possibly took longer to make? For example, would an early May, 1955 car likely have an April, 1955 engine? Do engines tend to be earlier or later? Anyone have mismatched manufacture dates on their original car?

Thanks for any info,

Steve
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about matching engine to car Reply with quote

1. No
2. Yes but this is fraudulent.
3. A '55 engine from the same month/year as your car.
From what I have seen the engine #s are at least the same month, usually within the same week too. Obviously if your car VIN # falls at a month start or end, the numbers could cross over the month change.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by EverettB on Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:25 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Questions about matching engine to car Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
1. No
2. Yes but this is fraudulent.
3. A '57 engine from the same month/year as your car.
From what I have seen the engine #s are at least the same month, usually within the same week too. Obviously if your car VIN # falls at a month start or end, the numbers could cross over the month change.

Ev,

You've got a typo. 55 car.

Biggest immediate difference is a 55 engine serial number would start 1- where a 57 would not. So the question to the op is why are you seeking to change out one 36 (assuming it's in good running condition) for another? Also restamping a case will not look any more og than having your 57 engine as it is currently (and it is fraudulent as noted). You simply don't have the original engine, no biggie in my book. If you are intent on having a month correct engine for your car, go to the tech section find the May numbers and determine (simple math) approximately what day your car was built and try to locate a case just before the build date by a day or two.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Questions about matching engine to car Reply with quote

You are right - I edited my post above to say 1955 instead of 1957.

I agree with all of your other comments too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about matching engine to car Reply with quote

You can dress a 57 case to look correct; save for the numbers.
The distributor (BR8) I believe was from 55 thru 57 so you'll likely have the right one. The thin slot generator will also be correct for both.
You'll need a big nut on the generator, thin lip pulleys, a round regulator and a wavy top fuel pump. I'm not sure which coil and bracket is correct for 55. TE6A3 or TE6B1.
Without looking at your stamps, with these items your engine would look correct to the glancing eye.
2016 Golf highline - hubby’s daily
2016 Golf R - my daily
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Questions about matching engine to car Reply with quote

The case got stronger in 57, so I think all earlier cases where scrapped when they build up a factory rebuild engine, at an early stage.

One reason earlier cases than 57 are hard to find,n I often see factory rebuilds from 57 and newer, nearly never a 56 or older 30hp.

My oval got a factory rebuild engine in May 64, it has a September 57 case. And I think that engine has a lot to do with my car's history, dont need to find another more maching# engine with no history.

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Questions about matching engine to car Reply with quote

Kjell Roar wrote:
My oval got a factory rebuild engine in May 64, it has a September 57 case. And I think that engine has a lot to do with my car's history, dont need to find another more maching# engine with no history.

This is a good point - if you have an engine that is part of the history of the car, this is good too.

My '63 that I bought from the original family has a factory rebuilt 1500cc engine that has no engine number stamped. I like that it was installed as part of the history of the car. I have the little "rebuilt engine" booklet for it somewhere.
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about matching engine to car Reply with quote

TheLadyBug wrote:
The distributor (BR8) I believe was from 55 thru 57 so you'll likely have the right one. The thin slot generator will also be correct for both.
You'll need a big nut on the generator, thin lip pulleys, a round regulator and a wavy top fuel pump. I'm not sure which coil and bracket is correct for 55. TE6A3 or TE6B1.
Without looking at your stamps, with these items your engine would look correct to the glancing eye.

You've learned quite a lot about early ovals in the last year and 3 months!
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Questions about matching engine to car Reply with quote

I was thinking the same thing! She is on her way to becoming an expert.

Don
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Questions about matching engine to car Reply with quote

3foldfolly wrote:
TheLadyBug wrote:

You've learned quite a lot about early ovals in the last year and 3 months!

Haha, I know ONE thing. Early 1954, lol.

I forgot to mention the engine tin and oil filler, too.

It was something I considered; getting all the components correct so that the engine at least looked right... But, I figured why would I stop there?
It's only money Laughing
2016 Golf highline - hubby’s daily
2016 Golf R - my daily
Westy Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Questions about matching engine to car Reply with quote

Thanks for the input.

I don't intend to defraud anyone because I have no intentions to ever sell the car. I plan to keep it for life.

I appreciate the list of items that may be different. I'll have to take some photos of my engine and post them here, but at first blush, it appears that the case was changed but the rest of the engine was swapped out. My '57 engine looks like a '55 engine, except for the engine number stamp (IIRC). Maybe I'll just locate the "correct" case for it and save it for the day that I have to do a rebuild. But thanks to you guys and gals, I know what date range to look for.

I hear what you're saying about the history of the car. From what I can figure, the car was parked for a long time, but was driven well early on. It has the wrong trunk lid, which dates to a '58 model, and a '57 engine. Makes me wonder if the car got scrunched between two cars early on and fixed appropriately in its first few years of life. But other than that, the car is extremely well preserved.

Curiously, it also has a '57 speedometer for some strange reason, which makes me wonder. I do know that the guy who sold it to me also owned a flawless '57 oval, making me wonder if he swapped out speedos, but I could be entirely wrong on that.

Thanks for the help in my decision making.

Steve
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about matching engine to car Reply with quote

Westy Steve wrote:
Thanks for the input.

I don't intend to defraud anyone because I have no intentions to ever sell the car. I plan to keep it for life.

Steve

That doesn't change the ethics/legality of it. At some point you will die and whoever buys it after you will think that it is the original engine if you do good enough of a job re-stamping it if you choose to go that route.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Westy Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about matching engine to car Reply with quote

Muhahahaha!

I'll use bondo too! Then they'll really be screwed!

Just kidding. Smile

But that brings up an interesting question...is bondo unethical?

It's probably cheaper to find an old case somewhere than to stamp it anyway. No worries.
My57Oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about matching engine to car Reply with quote

Contact Joe Ruiz (Mr. Okrassa). He might me able to source a period correct case for you. He found one for me. Hope you dont mind Joe!

Rob
empiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about matching engine to car Reply with quote

I personally don't think it would be unethical to stamp the original engine number into a case, The objective is to restore the car to as close to original as you can, then why not.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about matching engine to car Reply with quote

It's fraud, no different than stamping a new VIN #.

This is the reason VW doesn't give out the engine number anymore.
My understanding is they had to stop because it's illegal in Germany now to provide this information.
guyunico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about matching engine to car Reply with quote

Lightner.net/ybdb/serno.html vs Samba

who is correct they are somewhat different?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about matching engine to car Reply with quote

guyunico wrote:
Lightner.net/ybdb/serno.html vs Samba

who is correct they are somewhat different?

The page here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/bugchassisdating.php

The numbers here are more correct - he appears to just be listing the last VIN # for each year (with at least one exception) and saying that's the first VIN # for the next model year.

This is NOT correct.

The numbers here, up through 1967, are primarily from the VW Dealer book called Progressive Refinements.
I don't know their source.
Jonnyla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about matching engine to car Reply with quote

I also have an early May of '55 car. I had a 'dream' of having the correct engine for it. I found a peg here in the forms that was a 'engine number hunt' of sorts. Post the range of numbers your looking for and see if anyone out there has one they would sell... Wishing a month I had a response and and engine case in its way.
Using some division of cars produced and engines produced during that month I figured the motor number I got was within 4 days of my cars production. Correct numbers car? Probably not but period correct for sure and I that's about as good as you can ask for if its not the original.
I'll search for the thread and post if I find it.
Jonnyla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about matching engine to car Reply with quote

Found it faster than I thought I would...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7779889&highlight=#7779889
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: