Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Leaking gas out of cap?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chaosisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Leaking gas out of cap? Reply with quote

I should probably start all my posts saying which if my cars Im talking about. In this case its the '68.

I recently replaced my crummy aftermarket Stant gas cap with an NOS original one. Ive noticed that whenever I go to fill up my tank, there is always some sticky gas residue on the bottom edge of the cap, like there is fuel leaking out of it. I wipe it off and every time I go to fill up, its there.

Any idea what is causing this?

'68 FI Sunroof Squareback

'70 Westy

OCT3 - Orange County Type 3's
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking gas out of cap? Reply with quote

Faulty tank vent?
chaosisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking gas out of cap? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Faulty tank vent?

What part do you think it might be exactly?

I've replaced the vent tube from the filler neck to the body. And Ive replaced the small vent hose that comes from the coupler. The only two other pieces I havent replaced are the big hoses coming from the tank to the coupler and from the coupler to the vent tube.

'70 Westy

Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking gas out of cap? Reply with quote

Always trying to fill it to the tiptop, which is discouraged/illegal now I believe. I stop the first time the nozzle clicks off as the EPA recommends! Idea
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chaosisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking gas out of cap? Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Always trying to fill it to the tiptop, which is discouraged/illegal now I believe. I stop the first time the nozzle clicks off as the EPA recommends! Idea

I dont fill it to the tip top. I stop when the pump stops the first time. I dont want gas sitting in the rubber filler hose.

'70 Westy

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Leaking gas out of cap? Reply with quote

chaosisme wrote:
I should probably start all my posts saying which if my cars Im talking about. In this case its the '68.

I recently replaced my crummy aftermarket Stant gas cap with an NOS original one. Ive noticed that whenever I go to fill up my tank, there is always some sticky gas residue on the bottom edge of the cap, like there is fuel leaking out of it. I wipe it off and every time I go to fill up, its there.

Dried out cork gasket?
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking gas out of cap? Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
chaosisme wrote:

Dried out cork gasket?

My first thought too. Chaos, did you have this problem with the old cap?
I'd suspect the NOS cap had a new cork gasket glued in. Now fuel vapors are reacting with the glue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Karly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking gas out of cap? Reply with quote

I had the same issue on my bug, when I replaced my cap with a new one I put in a new rubber seal at the same time, but I was also constantly wiping it. I decided to trial a new cork seal and its actually much better.
chaosisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking gas out of cap? Reply with quote

Air-Cooled Head wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
chaosisme wrote:

Dried out cork gasket?

My first thought too. Chaos, did you have this problem with the old cap?
I'd suspect the NOS cap had a new cork gasket glued in. Now fuel vapors are reacting with the glue.

No, my old cap had a really bad rubber gasket that was split in multiple places.

Here is a picture of the culprit. I have no idea how to tell if the gasket is dried out. I can say that it isnt glued in though. It happens no matter which way I put it on, both side are actually sticky right now with old gas.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'70 Westy

Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking gas out of cap? Reply with quote

Any solution yet?
I think I'd try a new rubber ring (or 2) just to see if it changes anything.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking gas out of cap? Reply with quote

Air-Cooled Head wrote:
Any solution yet?
I think I'd try a new rubber ring (or 2) just to see if it changes anything.

Or a different gas cap.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
chaosisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking gas out of cap? Reply with quote

No solution yet. I'm going to try and swap caps with my brother and see what happens. I did check it again tonight and the entire cap gasket was wet with fuel. I'm wondering how fuel is getting up there so easily in the first place.

'70 Westy

Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking gas out of cap? Reply with quote

chaosisme wrote:
No solution yet. I'm going to try and swap caps with my brother and see what happens. I did check it again tonight and the entire cap gasket was wet with fuel. I'm wondering how fuel is getting up there so easily in the first place.

That's why I'm thinking it's NOT fuel. You'd have to over-fill then do some "spirited" driving to slosh fuel up to the cap. Shocked

I think I'd try thoroughly cleaning out the cap, removing any hint of old glue. Then making my own gasket (2 or 3 even) and not using any glue, just to see.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: