Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Gauge issues - Re-Solved!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Gauge issues - UnSolved! Reply with quote

1970bay wrote:
My guage has always jumped about igniotion on then ok,UNTIL i had use the lights then the indicator goes to full Very Happy

By turning the instrument light ajustment it will breifly show true ? Fule leval I think as the light is so dim i cant read the speed'unlil passing under a street lamp

It sounds like you likely have a bad ground on your instrument cluster. Maybe one or of more the bulbs for the cluster is miswired as well.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Gauge issues - UnSolved! Reply with quote

VW_PDX,

Keep in mind that the fuel sender has TWO wires: a signal wire going to the terminal, and a ground wire going from the sender body to a chassis ground somewhere (that way, the sender doesn't depend on the tank itself being solidly grounded).

1970bay,

As Wildthings says, sounds like a bad connection on the back of the instrument cluster, most likely involving the ground connection from body ground to instrument cluster ground.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_PDX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Gauge issues - UnSolved! Reply with quote

@Telford - thanks - yes the other wire on the tank is properly grounded to the frame.

I hooked the wires up finally on Thanksgiving and took her for a spin. The gauge is reading! It moves a bit around corners and stuff, so maybe a faulty vibrator, or else that is just what happens. But super happy that at least I have some indication of the gas level. On flat roads it reads well.

I will look into that soon enough, but for now, I think all is well.

cheers,
Steff!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Gauge issues - UnSolved! Reply with quote

1970bay wrote:
My guage has always jumped about igniotion on then ok,UNTIL i had use the lights then the indicator goes to full Very Happy

By turning the instrument light ajustment it will breifly show true ? Fule leval I think as the light is so dim i cant read the speed'unlil passing under a street lamp

I suspect the rheostat spring is broken in your headlight switch.
Broken rheostat
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Good rheostat
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Good luck
Tcash
1970bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Gauge issues - Re-Solved! Reply with quote

This like a visit to the doctor finding things wrong that seemed normal Sad

OK my light switch i have a spare Very Happy Very Happy Bought it about three years ago in case mine needed replacement will try it

As for the earth everything looks really well grounded,again ill look again

About a month ago i ran out of fuel with a good half tank indicated Sad Had a 15 mile walk in the wild French countryside.As it hadnt been running well or starting at all when stalled Rolling Eyes I hadnt driven it for some weeks,before i left i intended to fill the tank but bad traffic decided me to head to the garage on empty roads

For once i hadnt logged the mileage when id last filled....seems the sender had stuck...when i used my lights the gauge didnt flicker ....oh well

Built in 1971 The engine was changed from 1600cc to a 1972 flat 1700cc engine in 1974 otherwise nothings been changed std twin vw carbs
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Gauge issues - Re-Solved! Reply with quote

If you ran it out of gas. You need to have the filter in the gas tank cleaned and change the external fuel filter. Might as well put new fuel hoses on as well.
Good luck
Tcash
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Gauge issues - Re-Solved! Reply with quote

Figured I’d post here to try to keep information in one spot. When I parked my bus years ago, the fuel gauge worked (about 20% off, but being off towards the low side, not a problem). IIRC, it worked when I started working on it 3 years ago, though not 100% positive on that. It definitely doesn’t work now, needle all the way to the right and out of sight. I used this thread to troubleshoot, I get 12v on the black wire to the gauge, variable from 0-6.7 coming from the red wire between the vibrator and the gauge. I get open at the brown/black At the the vibrator and both sides of the white connector on the column bracket. If I ground the tab where the brn/bk connects to the vibrator, it climbs up to full, so I’m going to assume that once I find the open circuit, the gauge and vibrator are “good.”
I had a small fire two years ago from a shorted VR that ignited a puddle of brake clean under the bus. Besides cooking the alt light wire, by the starter, it took out a few other wires in that area (starter/passenger side harness). From my understanding, the fuel sender wire should exit the tank hold to head up front in that general area? I’m hoping that might be where my dead wire is, going to crawl under it maybe tomorrow, just wanting verification that I’m looking in the right spot. Thanks.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Gauge issues - Re-Solved! Reply with quote

The wire exits the tank compartment on the bottom pan, just inboard of the RH shock on a 79.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Gauge issues - Re-Solved! Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
The wire exits the tank compartment on the bottom pan, just inboard of the RH shock on a 79.

As always, thank you BD Smile
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: