Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

PSA - Nord-Lock your drive shaft (CV) bolts
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pft, I rather have overkill than be stuck. but a simple system is the best system, especially offroad man.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gumboguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: I sheared off all 6 cv bolts. Reply with quote

Yep, I have a 74 Westy with a soobie turbo. my engine went into a misfire and started bucking. next thing I knew, I hear a clunk and the bus slowly crept to the side of the road while the motor revved.

I looked under and saw the transaxle hanging down below the tranny. All six bolts had sheared off of the flange of the tranny. Sad

Im going to find some higher test bolts, if they exist. Confused
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know that any higher test bolts exist. What you want to do is tighten then as tight as you can get them without damaging them. This will cause the torque load to be handled by friction between the two mating surfaces verses shear in the bolts.

The Vanagon spec is 33 ft*lbs for the identical hardware and is what I have run for decades with not a hint of failure.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Don't know that any higher test bolts exist. What you want to do is tighten then as tight as you can get them without damaging them. This will cause the torque load to be handled by friction between the two mating surfaces verses shear in the bolts.

The Vanagon spec is 33 ft*lbs for the identical hardware and is what I have run for decades with not a hint of failure.

In metric class....I dont think there is anything stronger than class 12.9....which is what CV bolts are....and those are stronger than grade 8 SAE.

Along with what WT noted....were they using the gusset plates and lock washers? These same bolts hold CVs on other types of cars with MUCH more HP than even many turbo VWs run.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using lock tight may cause torque problems,if you don't work quickly,the lock tight sets up before you do the final torque,causing a false reading.When installing cv joints you should tighten the bolts in a cross pattern,just like wheel nuts.Because of the hard access and the turning of the axle to get at the bolts,I would bet that most people just torque the bolts as they see them and the lock tight would have already set before they get the last couple tighten down.
If you don't use a cross pattern you won't get a proper clamping force on all the bolts.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice^^

I've never been super picky when reinstalling a CV joint or drive shaft. I know there was grease on the bolts or in the threaded portion. I just make sure I tighten them in a crossing pattern with a good torque wrench. One I have them all back on and tightened down, I'll go back and double check all the torques a final time.

I've rechecked them 500 miles later and never had any bolts loosen up as long as I used the correct washers.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fastener torque involves components of face friction, thread friction, and shear force depending on application. There isn't one 'right answer' for all applications as to which combination is appropriate.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: I sheared off all 6 cv bolts. Reply with quote

Gumboguy wrote:
Yep, I have a 74 Westy with a soobie turbo. my engine went into a misfire and started bucking. next thing I knew, I hear a clunk and the bus slowly crept to the side of the road while the motor revved.

I looked under and saw the transaxle hanging down below the tranny. All six bolts had sheared off of the flange of the tranny. Sad

Im going to find some higher test bolts, if they exist. Confused

No higher test bolts that I am aware of.
Upgrade to Porsche 930 CV's.

Good luck
Tcash
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: PSA - Nord-Lock your drive shaft (CV) bolts Reply with quote

Is this the right product?

https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/0162564?term=nord+lock+5%2F16
(sold - but not forgotten)
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject: Nord-Lock NLX-series Reply with quote

To link to this post
Code:
[url=http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7902487#7902487]Nord-Lock NLX-series[/url]

BUSBOSS wrote:

Those will work but you will need to re-torque the fasteners after a day or two of run in and settling.

These do not require re-torque. They do not come up when I search Fastenal. You may need to call them to order M8- 5/16" Nord-Lock #2373.
Tcash wrote:
Ran across this video on the Nord-Lock NLX-series. Not to confused with the NL series as previously discussed.
The X-series has the spring tension build into the washer to combat the effects of slackening. Which is not a factor if you re-torque the fasteners after a day or two of run in and settling.

Links for Ordering.
NLX8, M8- 5/16" Nord-Lock #2373
http://www.nord-lock.com/nord-lock/multifunctional-wedge-locking/x-series-washers/introduction/
http://www.nord-lock.com/nord-lock/multifunctional-wedge-locking/x-series-washers/dimension-lists/

Link

Good Luck
Tcash

Last edited by Tcash on Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:11 am; edited 3 times in total
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: PSA - Nord-Lock your drive shaft (CV) bolts Reply with quote

Interesting. Are they reuseable like the standard NL ones?
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: PSA - Nord-Lock your drive shaft (CV) bolts Reply with quote

Yes, those are them, and yes, they can be reused. And despite some past comments that they may not work with fasteners as hard as ours, I'm telling you from work experience using them with metric class 12.9 /alloy screws...they WORK. As Ray stated earlier, 12.9 is much harder than grade 8...our SAE rough equivalent is termed "alloy" and ranges from about 160k to 190k psi tensile strength, depending on what you're after. Anyway, like I said, theories that Nords won't properly "bite" these hard fasteners and work as designed is purely mis-speculation, if that's even a real term.
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: PSA - Nord-Lock your drive shaft (CV) bolts Reply with quote

Thanks! I will check availability at my local Fastenal on Monday.
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: PSA - Nord-Lock your drive shaft (CV) bolts Reply with quote

Here is my promised update:

The NX series were not available at Fastenal online or brick/mortar. As a result, I went with the NL series. They are being discontinued so get them now if you want them. Alternatively, you can wait and see if they eventually stock the NX.

I have attached some pics in case they can help anyone looking to purchase them. They were only $11.00 for the package of 25 pairs.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: PSA - Nord-Lock your drive shaft (CV) bolts Reply with quote

BUSBOSS wrote:
...As a result, I went with the NL series. They are being discontinued so get them now if you want them.

Nice score! You won't regret it.

I couldn't find such an NX series, only the NL and NLX.

But I think there must've been a miscommunication. I really doubt Nord-Lock is discontinuing them. If something is being discontinued, it's being replaced by something better. Perhaps Fastenal isn't going to offer the NL.

Do you have an account with McMaster-Carr? They are one of the best suppliers in the business, easy to do business with, and they ALWAYS answer the phone and ALWAYS get you your answer(s), straight. I highly recommend creating an account, even if not for Nord-Locks.

So anyway, even though this product entry http://www.mcmaster.com/#91074a130/=101ld9n is somewhat vague, if you call them and ask for details, they will give them to you. And they’ll often inform you or link you to additional related products that don’t appear to be listed. I guess what I’m saying is if the OD of the washers I linked above isn’t what fits the CV joints, they just may have the ones you’re looking for also. I think, like Fastenal, they’re breaking down the bulk packaging for us little guys. Unfortch, McMaster is only offering 20-pair per package, which hoses us for completing a full pair of axles with one bag…..grrrrrrhhhhh.

I like the NLX that Cash linked, but I will probably go with whatever McMaster is offering when I get some for my Bay.

Use that extra pair to do a test torquing, and then back it off. Use a long ratchet or something with a long arm…I bet you’ll feel the wedge-lock action kick in…it’s pretty impressive. Please update with your experience!
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: PSA - Nord-Lock your drive shaft (CV) bolts Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
BUSBOSS wrote:
...As a result, I went with the NL series. They are being discontinued so get them now if you want them.

Nice score! You won't regret it.

I couldn't find such an NX series, only the NL and NLX.

I just referred to them as NL and NX for ease and to keep it consistent with TCash. You are correct that the branded designation is NL or NLX.

Busstom wrote:
But I think there must've been a miscommunication. I really doubt Nord-Lock is discontinuing them. If something is being discontinued, it's being replaced by something better.

Fastenal could be wrong but they were under the impression that the NLX series is replacing the NL series.

Busstom wrote:

So anyway, even though this product entry http://www.mcmaster.com/#91074a130/=101ld9n

As best as I can tell from comparing the specs, the McMaster link is the same exact product I purchased today.

If you do not have a Fastenal near you or do not want to shell out for the surplus units through McMaster, I could try to find them locally for you. I purchased the last pkg at the location I visited today.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: PSA - Nord-Lock your drive shaft (CV) bolts Reply with quote

BUSBOSS wrote:

I just went to the website to order these. In glaring red letters was a message "out of stock". However it let me put them in the cart, order and pay for them. I just got an order confirmation coming from a store in Indianapolis. $11 for the parts but shipping was $9.
I have an axle needing a replacement really soon and am pretty sure I have one or more regular split washers under the bolts.
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: PSA - Nord-Lock your drive shaft (CV) bolts Reply with quote

So to summarize this topic:

-Don't use cheap bolts
-Don't use used bolts
-Use the torque spreaders
-Use proper torque
-Don't get grease on the bolts or threads
-Check torque after 100 miles

Or the overkill route:

-Torque spreaders
-Safety wire
-Thread locker
-Spring washers
-Tab lock washers
-Fancy nord lock washers
-Doweled flanges
-Finish off by arc welding everything together.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: PSA - Nord-Lock your drive shaft (CV) bolts Reply with quote

^^^ Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: PSA - Nord-Lock your drive shaft (CV) bolts Reply with quote

I love when people try to re-invent the wheel on this site! Just buy the genuine VW bolts and correct washers from BugHaus. He knows what he is talking about....period!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: