Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Frame section welding
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tribalvwbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Frame section welding Reply with quote

I'm thinking of buying this 1969 sc truck but the rear frame has been cut out.
there's a replacement but I don't know how much was cut off. is there any way of knowing where it goes so it will line up. or any identifying marks. or measurements

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: frame section welding Reply with quote

You are going to want to know the exact situation of the underneath of the bus so take some pictures while you are under there. I would get a mock up engine for it with the tin on to locate the torsion tube in the right place.
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: frame section welding Reply with quote

I would think if you could find the distance from the centerline of the torsion tube to the axle centerline and subtract that from the wheelbase, then that would tell you where the torsion tube should be located under the bus.

Mark that distance underneath on the floorpan and then determine how far forward the donor section's frame rail extends and if it is long enough.

Dan
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: frame section welding Reply with quote

There are frame measurements for this and all buses. I wouldn't turn on a welder until I had them to insure everything is exactly where it should be.

I've seen different one's here on this site, you may search for them or PM Everett who'll know if there's some on this site.

The other option is to call a couple of frame or body shops in your area and ask if you can buy a copy of the frame dimensions.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tribalvwbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: frame section welding Reply with quote

ok thanks guys
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: