Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dash pad installation
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lstyles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the photo!
Lori
yorkjj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my dash restored several years ago by JustDashes.com (excellent work) and the vinyl used was quite thick and a little difficult to bend into place near the windshield and its rubber seal. I used a lot of WD-40 to soften it and the seal up and patiently slide it into place.
A agree that it would go faster as a two man job; I did mine by myself and it took all day.
delibessleep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A agree that it would go faster as a two man job

well...at least you'll have 2x the cussing!

Biology is destiny...choose your mutations carefully
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ghiabus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: dash pad Reply with quote

i have my new kgpr show quality dash pad about 80% installed,the mistake i made was i installed a new black pebble grained dash FACE and didn't trim some of the holes all the way,so the studs on the pad didn't want to go throughat first. i found that on mine i had to trim off about a 1/4 inch at both ends where the pad meets the window pillars,also some of the foam oozing out around the studs,trimmed some excess material off of the surface that meets the face too.to put the two end screws in on the top of pad ..i will from under the hood poke a very sharp awl through the existing factory holes--the one at the drivers side end i will bend a sharpened piece of wire into an " L" SHAPE TO PUSH IT THROUGH (kgpr idea) the painter filled the holes with paint on the door pillar -so i'll be doing some searching,or i'll drill through judging by my original pad holes (should be close enough).pretty scary thing doing the face and top pad--but it looks like it's all working out.ONE word of advise..when you get tired or frustrated..STOP,AND WAIT TILL TOMORROW. Idea
OzBodkins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: Dash pad install Reply with quote

Maybe I'm the next guy to try this.
I bought a 73 Ghia with a cracked dash. I figure pull it out and order a replacement and slide it right in. Easy, right?
2 problems.
First, how exactly does one remove the old one? It looks like 4 nylon nuts on studs attached to the underside of the dash pad, but I don't know.
Second, these posts make me wonder how big a job this is. If it takes 2 strong men and home part modification, or removing the windshield, it may not be a front burner project.
Any clarification would be very much appreciated.
Oz
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct on the nylon bolts under the dash pad. Difficult to get at because, wiper motor, radio, glove box.....
I just replaced mine with a "Glass-Action" dash pad. Took me a few hours by myself. It does not reattach in the original manner, just dash grab handle and a couple screws. More info in the last page of my build thread.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
akear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just replaced my dash pad this weekend in my '70 with the KGPR show quality pad by myself and with windshield in. One hint as a previous poster noted is to trim the thin front edge sufficiently. I trimmed it back to about 1/2 in. I tried test fitting prior to trimming the forward edge back enough and almost got the pad permanently stuck. One stud went through but no others and with the pressure on the stud from too much pad I could not get the stud out again without a lot of pushing, pulling, prying, and swearing. So watch out for that. The other hint -- take out the wiper assembly and glove box. Gives you a lot more room and the ability to eye for and find the studs. I did not elongate the dash holes as some have found necessary. Finally I found the studs in the pad lined up perfectly with the dash holes, unlike the experiences of some others.

Update:
Since installing the pad, I noticed one side was not as snug against the windshield rubber as I'd like. So I decided today to pop the pad out and trim that area up a little for a better fit. Simple, right? Wrong! After fighting with the pad for an hour or so I realized it is not coming out (at least in one piece) without the windshield coming out first. Some posters here recommended elongating the holes in the dash or shortening the studs for an easier installation; neither of which I found necessary. But it seems one or both is essential if you ever want to remove the pad with the windshield in. I now would recommend doing one or both even if you are installing the pad with the windshield out.
lhutson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Dash pad installation Reply with quote

Great Thread. I have a problem installing my dash pad in 70 Coupe. No nylon nuts and most of the studs were snapped off. PO must have removed it and set it back on with no nuts. Any suggestions for fasteners???
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash pad installation Reply with quote

lhutson wrote:
Great Thread. I have a problem installing my dash pad in 70 Coupe. No nylon nuts and most of the studs were snapped off. PO must have removed it and set it back on with no nuts. Any suggestions for fasteners???

DAP Ultraflex Silicon Adhesive.
Just kidding really but would probably work for a while
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash pad installation Reply with quote

I have a bunch of those nylon nuts if you need them Ihudson.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash pad installation Reply with quote

lhutson wrote:
Any suggestions for fasteners???

HD double-sided foam tape will hold down a dash pad...the kind designed for indoor/outdoor use. Like this: https://www.target.com/p/3m-extreme-mounting-tape-...lsrc=aw.ds
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
688GUY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash pad installation Reply with quote

I just did my KGPR show quality dash this afternoon. It was a handful and I had to do most of the tricks listed. I elongated the holes, trimmed a bunch off the front and took the glove box insert out, well, undid the screw so it could move down lower. I ran into an issue I hadn't seen listed before, which was that the part that goes over the driver's vent had a "pucker" on it after I tightened all the studs down. Turns out the pad should ride outboard of the vent, but mine was out about halfway, then was on top of it on the inboard side. I fixed it by using this tool with a little hook on the end and running it along the vent outboard, then toward the end of the vent inboard. It pulled the pad out and freed it from being trapped on top of the vent. All in all, I'm happy with it and after 7 or 8 Ghias I finally have one with a respectable dash. You should have seen some of the crappy repro dashes they were selling in the 80's. Total crappage...The last pic shows the pucker...Now I need to do something about the ugly vinyl cover glove box lid...

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: