Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

34 pic 3 carb with 113-905-205AN distributor/Bosch 07102 vac
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pernest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: 34 pic 3 carb with 113-905-205AN distributor/Bosch 07102 vac Reply with quote

I have the original carb that came with my 73 std manual trans beetle and would like to rebuild and run it on my VW. I also have the original dist (113-905-205 AN with its vacuum canister (Bosch 07102) which unfortunately has a shot diaphragm. I see Bosch 07102's on ebay and at parts houses NOS for prices ranging from $50 to $100. I wonder just how good the diaphragms are in those 40 + year old parts --- seems like a roll of the dice to me.

I would really like to be able to use the original carb and dist on the car. Is there a close substitute you can recommend for the Bosch 07102? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Peyton
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: 34 pic 3 carb with 113-905-205AN distributor/Bosch 07102 Reply with quote

Will it's either a 40 year old part, used or new, or a Mexican Beetle setup, which can be 15 years old but you need the whole setup, or an aftermarket distributor, or a digital distributor.

The 40 year old never-been-used parts are usually just fine. If it works when you get it it should keep working, especially if you can keep gasoline out of it (metal tubing with a "rise" in it) and avoid ethanol like the plague. (Ethanol eats vintage rubbers.) If you can't find your particular diaphragm in a new condition then check out this page to see which diagrams are similar: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=617242

The new aftermarket junk usually doesn't advance soon enough nor as much as you need. Some have springs that are so tight the vacuum cans never advance. Some people have taken them apart and installed lighter springs. I've tried taking them apart and I can say it's not easy. I won't ever try it again myself.

If you don't want a 40 year old part then I'd suggest something digital like a CB Black Box. Of course by then you're straying from a true restoration. Although digital does allow you to fine tune the timing and get as much fuel mileage out of it as possible.

Last edited by Juanito84 on Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mojo07470
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: 34 pic 3 carb with 113-905-205AN distributor/Bosch 07102 Reply with quote

Not to hijack. But whats a cb black box and where can I find one? Sounds like a better way to go.
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: 34 pic 3 carb with 113-905-205AN distributor/Bosch 07102 Reply with quote

Mojo07470 wrote:
Not to hijack. But whats a cb black box and where can I find one? Sounds like a better way to go.

The CB Black Box is a digital ignition timing box that you hook up to your Windows laptop or tablet and program whatever timing curves you want. The timing curves are set out on a "spark table" with RPMs one way and manifold air pressure (vacuum advance) the other way.

For about $200 it's about the cheapest digital ignition you'll find. Plus you can use your old distributor with points and a regular coil, then just tuck the Black Box under the rear seat and your engine will still look stock.

You can program it to follow the stock timing curves. Or do some experimenting to get the best or of your engine. I'm going to be doing some extensive testing with one hopefully very soon on a stock engine.

CB also has a digital distributor for twice the price that is basically the same thing only all in one unit. The only problem with that distributor is that it's too big to use a stock fuel pump.

http://www.cbperformance.com/Default.asp
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 34 pic 3 carb with 113-905-205AN distributor/Bosch 07102 Reply with quote

There are lots of good used 07102 vacuum canisters out there. Have you removed the canister from your distributor to verify that you have a bad canister? Typically the canisters advance side is still good and the points plate is stuck due to hardened grease. The retard side of these canisters has usually failed.

There is only 2-5 degrees of advance from the canister so it won't be moving the pull rod a lot when you apply suction to test the canister.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pernest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 34 pic 3 carb with 113-905-205AN distributor/Bosch 07102 Reply with quote

Thanks tasb.

I've tried suction against both ports on the pot and I believe the diaphragm is shot for both advance and retard functions.

This is basically a project for me since I'm currently running a 010 dist with a Brozol H30/31 and the car seems to be running great. The 34 pic 3 and Bosch JFU4 distributor are, I believe, original to the car which I have owned for over 18 years.

I've ordered a carb rebuild kit and replacement advance vacuum pot (07-059) from Aircooled.net. They have been helpful. We'll see how all this turns out.

When I bought the car in 1997, on first sight, my wife referred to it as a POS. My wife is very sweet and considerate person and I have to agree that her assessment was well grounded. However, over the years, we have driven the car on 1000 mile trips and have used it as a back up daily driver. For back up, it was either the VW or a Model A Ford which now has over 100k on it. The Beetle is better on gas.

I had the engine overhauled at 115k and have added another 73k to that. It might be a POS but its a good one!

Peyton
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 34 pic 3 carb with 113-905-205AN distributor/Bosch 07102 Reply with quote

That vacuum advance can should work. It doesn't have the retard function though. Vacuum advance mainly allows you to cruise leaner and get better fuel mileage and emissions. Not having it won't affect full power.
tasb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: 34 pic 3 carb with 113-905-205AN distributor/Bosch 07102 Reply with quote

When you are looking for an original used replacement you won't find 07102 anywhere on the vacuum canister. The short number will be stamped onto the pull arm it is 889.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rex lucy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: 34 pic 3 carb with 113-905-205AN distributor/Bosch 07102 Reply with quote

running an 010 and wants a 205 . wow
Luft kühl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: 34 pic 3 carb with 113-905-205AN distributor/Bosch 07102 Reply with quote

Rex lucy wrote:
running an 010 and wants a 205 . wow

Thinks that a distributor that relies entirely on RPMs is somehow superior to one that uses both RPMs and engine load to determine the timing . wow
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: 34 pic 3 carb with 113-905-205AN distributor/Bosch 07102 Reply with quote

Juanito84 wrote:
Will it's either a 40 year old part, used or new, or a Mexican Beetle setup, which can be 15 years old but you need the whole setup, or an aftermarket distributor, or a digital distributor.

The 40 year old never-been-used parts are usually just fine. If it works when you get it it should keep working, especially if you can keep gasoline out of it (metal tubing with a "rise" in it) and avoid ethanol like the plague. (Ethanol eats vintage rubbers.) If you can't find your particular diaphragm in a new condition then check out this page to see which diagrams are similar: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=617242

The new aftermarket junk usually doesn't advance soon enough nor as much as you need. Some have springs that are so tight the vacuum cans never advance. Some people have taken them apart and installed lighter springs. I've tried taking them apart and I can say it's not easy. I won't ever try it again myself.

If you don't want a 40 year old part then I'd suggest something digital like a CB Black Box. Of course by then you're straying from a true restoration. Although digital does allow you to fine tune the timing and get as much fuel mileage out of it as possible.

Just as a footnote to this. your car is already chock full of 40 year old USED parts. Logic tells me a 40 year old NEW part will be at least marginally better.
Just sayin....

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
Rex lucy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 34 pic 3 carb with 113-905-205AN distributor/Bosch 07102 Reply with quote

if a 205 is advertised for 25.00 dollars and a 010 is advertised at 150.00 dollars, what does that indicate.
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 34 pic 3 carb with 113-905-205AN distributor/Bosch 07102 Reply with quote

Rex lucy wrote:
if a 205 is advertised for 25.00 dollars and a 010 is advertised at 150.00 dollars, what does that indicate.

First of all, most guys only care about power. They don't care about fuel mileage very much, and they don't care at all about emissions. The 010 has a mechanical curve that gives very good power and performance in some of the most popular performance combos.

Plus a vacuum and mechanical advance distributor has more parts to go out so there's more of a chance it's shot. I'm a fan of vacuum advance but most others aren't for those reasons. I prefer getting as good of emissions and fuel mileage as possible and don't care how fast I can go. But since the majority don't think like me the 010 is the coveted distributor.
pernest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 34 pic 3 carb with 113-905-205AN distributor/Bosch 07102 Reply with quote

I'm glad that people love the 010 so much and I'm certainly in no hurry to get rid of it. I know that the 010 has very good value in VW circles.

I just would like to see if the car can run smoother with the 205. With the 010 and 30/31, I get about 22 mpg in town and close to 30 on the road. So, its a good setup.

My research indicates that the 205 with operational vacuum advance does well with a 34 pic 3. I'm not really concerned with speed as an air cooled VW ain't fast under most any circumstance and, if its somehow modified to be fast, its probably not very reliable.

I have enjoyed the feedback from all and have learned some new things.

Peyton
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 34 pic 3 carb with 113-905-205AN distributor/Bosch 07102 Reply with quote

pernest wrote:
I'm glad that people love the 010 so much and I'm certainly in no hurry to get rid of it. I know that the 010 has very good value in VW circles.

I just would like to see if the car can run smoother with the 205. With the 010 and 30/31, I get about 22 mpg in town and close to 30 on the road. So, its a good setup.

My research indicates that the 205 with operational vacuum advance does well with a 34 pic 3. I'm not really concerned with speed as an air cooled VW ain't fast under most any circumstance and, if its somehow modified to be fast, its probably not very reliable.

I have enjoyed the feedback from all and have learned some new things.

Peyton

The 34 PICT-3 carburetors were originally jetted to run leaner (14.7:1 AFR) at part throttle and then enriched themselves (to about 12.5:1 AFR) at full throttle. The problem with that is that the leaner AFR burns slower. So when going from idle to part throttle the engine will feel sluggish (AKA: flat spot) unless the engine has vacuum advance kicking in at the same time to make up for the slow flame. This can't be integrated into the mechanical advance because this would be too much advance at full throttle. Fortunately you lose vacuum advance at full throttle. So basically the vacuum advance helps litigate between two modes, lean cruiser where more advance is needed and rich full throttle where less advance is needed.

If you jetted your 30/31 to also run lean at part throttle it would also run better with a vacuum distributor that responds to both RPM and engine load.
tasb

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 34 pic 3 carb with 113-905-205AN distributor/Bosch 07102 Reply with quote

Interesting thoughts, opinions and lessons above.

I can testify that some of us are waking up and realizing that vacuum advance has its place in the VW world. At certain times of the year I have more restoration requests than I can comfortably handle.

Twelve years ago I was running a 009 in my dual port 1965 Bus. Through carb jetting and living at 6,000+ feet I was able to get the hesitation down to minimal. I was working my way back to original equipment and installed a 113 905 205 T distributor and even though mismatched it ran sooo much smoother than the 009's performance. I was even more amazed at the performance difference when I then installed a German Solex 30 PICT 1= a matched set.

I haven't looked back and have enjoyed restoring vacuum advance distributors for the VW community for 11 years now.

btw we should be referring to specific distributors either by their full part number or at least the first three digits and the letter suffix not the middle 205. The 205 is VW part number lingo for distributor which is redundant when we are already discussing distributors. There are literally hundreds of air cooled VW distributor versions and they are nearly all 205's. Even the 0 231 129 010 has a VW part number though it doesn't often appear on the badge.

Juanitos post above is one of the best descriptions of what is going on between the PICT 34 and the 009 distributor that I have read in a very long time. Most of the time we just read parroted responses.

Last edited by tasb on Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:26 am; edited 3 times in total
tasb

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 34 pic 3 carb with 113-905-205AN distributor/Bosch 07102 Reply with quote

As far as 40+ year old parts go, I have been regularly running/installing used vacuum canisters and NOS tune up parts some of which are 40+ years old without any failure. I can't say the same for some of the new "stuff".

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: