Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rebuilding front calipers for my '66...
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
c.ruber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Rebuilding front calipers for my '66... Reply with quote

I have a caliper that needs rebuilding and I'm wondering about availability of parts and or who could rebuild it/them...?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding front calipers for my '66... Reply with quote

Contact Jim Adney; he's done a professional job for many here.
c.ruber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding front calipers for my '66... Reply with quote

Got a number for dear Jim??
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding front calipers for my '66... Reply with quote

He hangs out in the [email protected] Chat Room & helps/does business there! Cool
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding front calipers for my '66... Reply with quote

c.ruber wrote:
I have a caliper that needs rebuilding and I'm wondering about availability of parts and or who could rebuild it/them...?

The caliper kit is about $7 ..and the caliper hardware kit is about $6 from Rockauto (and other places). They are simple to rebuild. Why not just do it yourself? Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c.ruber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding front calipers for my '66... Reply with quote

Ray, I was not aware that rock auto would have the parts available. I suppose I could rebuild the calipers if I had the required parts. I've never rebuilt a caliper, but have tackled much more difficult mechanical items. I have heard that the pistons can be difficult to remove. Any insight on a preferred method to remove a caliper piston?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding front calipers for my '66... Reply with quote

c.ruber wrote:
Ray, I was not aware that rock auto would have the parts available. I suppose I could rebuild the calipers if I had the required parts. I've never rebuilt a caliper, but have tackled much more difficult mechanical items. I have heard that the pistons can be difficult to remove. Any insight on a preferred method to remove a caliper piston?

If your calipers are stl actually in operation..maybe just leaking and sticky.....remove them, drain the fluid.....fill with pentrating oil...also on the outside. Wait a bit. Then put block of wood between the two pistons.
Give it a shot of compressed air in the inlet hole. Mind your fingers and wear safety glasses.
If only one piston comes out....common....push the piston back in and clamp it with a C-clamp to hold it in.
Repeat the air pressure. It may take several tries of pushing the sticky piston back in....lubricating with pentrating oil....and air pressure. They will come out.

Soak the bleeder valves. ....take them out with vise grips. Get new long ones at Pelikan parts.....or better yet....but the speed bleeder brand valves. Worth every penny.

I strip the calipers with aircraft stripper. Polish the piston with 800 grit if its rough....and finish with 1500 to 2000.

Ideally you should split the calipers and buy new inner seals.....but if there has been no leakage....you could leave them be. Clean the bores with 600-800 grit and inspect....wash in hot water....dry quickly. Lube with brake paste.

Mask the bores with 3m blue painter tape....screw in the old bleeder valves....and paint with VHT caliper paint. Bake at 200 for 30-45 minutes in any oven.

Then assemble using brake paste and new hardware. If you do this much....they will function like factory.

I go a little further than this because I have done a bunch (new 8mm hex bolts with new threads instead of the crappy allen bolts plus new inner,seals). Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c.ruber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding front calipers for my '66... Reply with quote

Thanks Ray! I don't have a type 3 workshop manual, but I do have a Bentley that covers ghias up to '69. I imagine the calipers are similar so I hope I'm not asking a silly question if they are different from a type 3. My question is there is a special set of pliers used to rotate the piston in the illustrations in my Bentley for the ghia and also a metal plate used to clock the piston in a certain manner. Are these tools necessary and how do I obtain them or alternatives to these tools? Thanks for all the awesome info...
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding front calipers for my '66... Reply with quote

c.ruber wrote:
Thanks Ray! I don't have a type 3 workshop manual, but I do have a Bentley that covers ghias up to '69. I imagine the calipers are similar so I hope I'm not asking a silly question if they are different from a type 3. My question is there is a special set of pliers used to rotate the piston in the illustrations in my Bentley for the ghia and also a metal plate used to clock the piston in a certain manner. Are these tools necessary and how do I obtain them or alternatives to these tools? Thanks for all the awesome info...

The anti-rotation/positioning plates are part of most kits. There are no wpecial piston positioning pliers needed for any of the type 3/4 calipers.
The windage gap is controlled by the retraction and fl3x of the galiler seal.

Also bear in mind that unlike an emgjne piston....its not the bore condition that is important. The seal is Fixed in a groove and the piston wlides through it. As long as the bore is decently smooth and you have no deep rust pits that span all the way across the seal groove......and you have no deep pits in the piston that are as wide or wider thqn the seal ring....they will be just fine. Ray
c.ruber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding front calipers for my '66... Reply with quote

Finally getting around to rebuilding these calipers for my squareback. What kind of paste are you referring to for coating the caliper bores? Anti squeal brake paste???
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding front calipers for my '66... Reply with quote

no

I use this, but there are many different brands

http://www.permatex.com/products-2/product-categor...ube-detail
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: