Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil Screen Not Fitting Right?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shewster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject: Oil Screen Not Fitting Right? Reply with quote

I've done more oil changes on my 72 Bug than I can count. But..... this time the screen did not fit right. It was hitting something and would not seat without putting some pressure on it. It was a bitch to get the oil plate on. Now it is leaking just a little bit more than normal.

I got the oil screen from Wolfsburg West. Defective? Has anyone seen this before? Not a big deal to put on another one, but just really odd.

Cheers.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Screen Not Fitting Right? Reply with quote

Hey another Modesto person.

What about pulling it back out and matching it up with the old one?
Shewster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Screen Not Fitting Right? Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:

Hey there Modesto person. I did that initially when it did not seat right. But I was in a hurry to get to Bugorama and just bolted it down and left. Then I threw away the old one.

Quick question. I just moved to Modesto. Do you have a mechanic/shop to recommend?
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Screen Not Fitting Right? Reply with quote

Shewster wrote:
Cali_Army_Guy wrote:

Hey there Modesto person. I did that initially when it did not seat right. But I was in a hurry to get to Bugorama and just bolted it down and left. Then I threw away the old one.

Quick question. I just moved to Modesto. Do you have a mechanic/shop to recommend?

Mahoney Motors
1002 9th St
Modesto, CA 95354
209-522-7248

He's been working on ACVW stuff for like 45 years in Modesto.

My second choice:

The Parts House
939 McHenry Ave
Modesto, CA 95350-5416
209-524-8800

This place also works on ACVW stuff. They also sell a bunch of little parts. Most of it is Empi stuff, but they do have other stuff as well.

Third option:
Auto Recyclers of Modesto
432 S 9th St
Modesto, CA 95351
209-526-0181

This is a ACVW junkyard of sorts. Great place for original German parts.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Screen Not Fitting Right? Reply with quote

I ran into the same problem once. There are 2 different size holes in the center of the screen. That is what was stopping mine from seating. You might have run into the same problem. It's the center hole in the screen that fits up into the oil sump. Just a thought.

The screen with the bigger hole has 3 "slices" cut into that hole while the smaller one has 6 "slices". Look at the center of the screen and you'll see what I'm talking about. The one with the smaller hole is just slightly smaller and it won't allow the screen plate to seat correctly.
alikatcraig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Screen Not Fitting Right? Reply with quote

And just to help you, some vendors are selling the one that takes the 5/8" p/u numbered as the later one for 3/4"! Nothing is simple these days.
1973 Standard Bug
1998 Mexican Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shewster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Screen Not Fitting Right? Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
I ran into the same problem once. There are 2 different size holes in the center of the screen. That is what was stopping mine from seating. You might have run into the same problem. It's the center hole in the screen that fits up into the oil sump. Just a thought.

The screen with the bigger hole has 3 "slices" cut into that hole while the smaller one has 6 "slices". Look at the center of the screen and you'll see what I'm talking about. The one with the smaller hole is just slightly smaller and it won't allow the screen plate to seat correctly.

Dwayne. You are awesome. You totally nailed it. Pulled off the old and guess what; 6 slices in the center. Put in the new "3 slice" screen and I'm back to my NASCAR speed oil change.

Thank You. Thank You. Thank You.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Screen Not Fitting Right? Reply with quote

Glad you got it sorted out. I'll keep that in mind if I ever run across that problem.
Shewster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Screen Not Fitting Right? Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
Glad you got it sorted out. I'll keep that in mind if I ever run across that problem.

The size difference is SO small you wouldn't know to look for it. At least I didn't.

Also, thanks for the local recommendations.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Screen Not Fitting Right? Reply with quote

Shewster wrote:
Dwayne1m wrote:
I ran into the same problem once. There are 2 different size holes in the center of the screen. ...

Dwayne. You are awesome. You totally nailed it. Pulled off the old and guess what; 6 slices in the center. Put in the new "3 slice" screen and I'm back to my NASCAR speed oil change.

For future reference, here are the different Beetle oil screens I could find:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

40HP 1200cc VW Bug Beetle 1961-1965 (16mm pickup tube)

1300cc-1600cc With Sleeve VW Bug Beetle 1962-1969 (14mm pickup tube)

1600cc Beetle 1970-1979 Air Cooled VW Engines (19mm pickup tube)

While I'm no expert on the early engines I believe there is also a screen for pre-'1960 25/36HP engines as well. I just couldn't find a link.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Screen Not Fitting Right? Reply with quote

Thanks for the comparisons, Ashman. I've also come across a cheapo style that had no center ring at all at the top of the screen. No, the ring was not stuck on my engine's pickup tube, having ripped out of the screen. Just a cheap new part at swap meets. The screen's center hole conformed to the pickup tube size when you pushed it back up.
Zylinderkopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Screen Not Fitting Right? Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Thanks for the comparisons, Ashman. I've also come across a cheapo style that had no center ring at all at the top of the screen. No, the ring was not stuck on my engine's pickup tube, having ripped out of the screen. Just a cheap new part at swap meets. The screen's center hole conformed to the pickup tube size when you pushed it back up.

You mean this one (part number 113115175)
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=...ner/Screen

I ordered one for my '66 but the holes don't line up for the studs. Had to drill and "stretch" them some to get a fit. As far as I know there are no longer any replacements being made that fit.
1971 Super Beetle
1974 Thing

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no one told them to."
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: