Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

31" tyres on a 5.5" wheel?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: 31" tyres on a 5.5" wheel? Reply with quote

I am currently running 31x10.5" bfg km2s on the rear of my baja, and I am very happy with them. I believe they are on 7" wide wheels.

I would like to change to some alloy wheels, both for a different look, and to get some weight off of the rotating mass.

Always loved the look on this car:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Surely the 5.5" wheels would be too narrow for a 10.5" wide tyre?

Does anyone have any experience of running large tyres on this sort of wheel?

Thanks.
nomis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: 31" tyres on a 5.5" wheel? Reply with quote

P.S.

This is my current setup:

Like I said, I think that the rear wheels are 7" wide (between mounting surfaces).
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 31" tyres on a 5.5" wheel? Reply with quote

I am using 33-10.50x15 BFG KM2 on 6.5 wide Flat 4 BRMs on my buggy.
I sure you can fit a 10.50 on the 5.5in rim it may crown more and not be that easy to mount.
In off road racing they use 35-12.50x15 tires on 7in beadlock wheel. The beadlock makes it easier to mount the tire.

Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 31" tyres on a 5.5" wheel? Reply with quote

I remember somewhere I think Dusty said that people use 10" tires on the stock 4" rims.

I did 31x10.5-15 on 8" wheels. Those KM2s do great in sand from what I've seen.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 31" tyres on a 5.5" wheel? Reply with quote

If you dont mind the rolled up desert tire look they will work. Ive seen tires mounted up on way narrow wheels that look like hell and others not bad. It will definetly wear the center of the tread, but most of us dont put enough miles on our buggys to matter. Being tall helps that some, short tires will definetly look horrible.
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 31" tyres on a 5.5" wheel? Reply with quote

My BFG KM2 are pretty damn flat across the treads on the 6.5in wheel and so were the 12.50 BFG Baja T/A on a 7in beadlock.

And yes they do decent in the sand and on the street. This is at Sand Mountain outside of Fallon, NV at close to the end of a 7,000 mile trip from California across the states to the Outer Banks, North Carolina and back home. This is a several hundred feet above the valley floor.

Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
no1clyde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 31" tyres on a 5.5" wheel? Reply with quote

I am running 30-9.5s on 4.5 stock rims on all 4 wheels with no problems.

Ed
nomis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: 31" tyres on a 5.5" wheel? Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback.

The 33s on the BRMs look really good, I will look out for a set of wheels & give my tyre fitter a challenge!
HILLAHOLIC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: 31" tyres on a 5.5" wheel? Reply with quote

Look at the front tire on this chain drive. thats a 44" tire on a 3" wheel. He said it was a pita to mount but he got it done.
BAJAumBUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 31" tyres on a 5.5" wheel? Reply with quote

My rear tires are 31's. I would prefer 30's or even 29's. not sure on the width of my rim though.

EnjoyNukaCola
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 31" tyres on a 5.5" wheel? Reply with quote

BAJAumBUG wrote:
My rear tires are 31's. I would prefer 30's or even 29's. not sure on the width of my rim though.

Why would you prefer a smaller tire?
BAJAumBUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 31" tyres on a 5.5" wheel? Reply with quote

EnjoyNukaCola wrote:
BAJAumBUG wrote:

well the bug just feels a little under powered with the 31's. with the 1600 single barrel. ill be putting the 2 barrel on next week so it will prob feel much better.
EnjoyNukaCola
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 31" tyres on a 5.5" wheel? Reply with quote

BAJAumBUG wrote:
EnjoyNukaCola wrote:
BAJAumBUG wrote:

well the bug just feels a little under powered with the 31's. with the 1600 single barrel. ill be putting the 2 barrel on next week so it will prob feel much better.

It does have an 002 right? Check out the sticky on transmissions to check exactly what it is. Depending on your ring and pinion you could be limiting yourself to ~55mph if you drop down to a tire that size.
BAJAumBUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 31" tyres on a 5.5" wheel? Reply with quote

EnjoyNukaCola wrote:
BAJAumBUG wrote:
EnjoyNukaCola wrote:
BAJAumBUG wrote:

It does have an 002 right? Check out the sticky on transmissions to check exactly what it is. Depending on your ring and pinion you could be limiting yourself to ~55mph if you drop down to a tire that size.

yes I just checked that trans STICKY. and it appears the trans is not an 002. it has only 2 ribs were the others have 3 or 5. I was told the trans was rebuilt before it was put in the car. the whole trans was painted green, clearly outside of the car. so maybe it was rebuilt. but the same person told me it was an 002 so im not sure how much about it he knew. he was the one that built the bug, that contacted me on IG.

My car does 65 in 4th gear at 2800rpm. with 31's. im not to familiar with the gear ratios.

but it has no prob spinning the tires in the dirt when i kinda dump the clutch.

and yea i said it feels underpowerd, but almost all my cars and trucks ive had were v8s so that prob why i feel that way
BAJAumBUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 31" tyres on a 5.5" wheel? Reply with quote

So i think its a late bug IRS axle
BAJAumBUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 31" tyres on a 5.5" wheel? Reply with quote

didnt mean to HIJACK the thread Razz
nomis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 31" tyres on a 5.5" wheel? Reply with quote

no worries on the hijack Wink

my bug also pulls just under 3000rpm at 60mph with the 31" tyres.
It has the gearbox from a 1300 engine 1303 beetle (not sure if that model was even sold in the US though). Slightly better gearing that one from a 1600 car...

I have solved the power problem by stepping up to a 1776 Cool
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 31" tyres on a 5.5" wheel? Reply with quote

Hey Simon!!!

The 1303 was not sold in the US. We had Standard (which in Europe are called "Deluxe") or "Super Beetles", both of which came with a 1500cc engine '67 through 70 and IRS from '69. The differential in all of those 1968 through 1972 was 4.12:1, then from 73 on was 3.88:1. Earlier swingaxle cars had 4.37:1 diff. 1300 cc was a 1966 year model only engine here.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: