Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Runs bad when cruising!!!
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
passe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: Runs bad when cruising!!! Reply with quote

My 1641 with c25 cam mildly ported heads.Bosch 019 dizzy. Ict 34's with jets 55/140. It idles fine, pulls fine and strong under acceleration!! But runs bad when cruising mid throttle!!!
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like a big cam lope? carbs out of synch.
passe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried to sync with a snail guage! But I shall try once more!!!
VWBUGGAH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Runs bad when cruising!!! Reply with quote

My motor would miss at certain rpm and while cruising too...I changed plugs and that solved it...sometimes simplest things work lol...Try changing plugs if you haven't already.
scottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Runs bad when cruising!!! Reply with quote

Check your idle jets. When you're cruising you are typically on the idle circuit. A small amount of trash can make a big difference.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Runs bad when cruising!!! Reply with quote

Yep, I agree idle jets, they are working in cruising zone. I am not that familiar with Itc's but if there is a separate idle screw remove it check it out for damage or wear and when it is out blow out the hole the scerw was in when the jet is removed .
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JasonBaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Runs bad when cruising!!! Reply with quote

Have someone push the gas pedal to the floor. Are the butterfly's in BOTH carbs fully open?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Runs bad when cruising!!! Reply with quote

sounds like the LINKAGE isn't synced. Just because it's synced at idle, doesn't mean it is at part throttle. You must check this.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Runs bad when cruising!!! Reply with quote

John I think check the cable is Fix car lesson #1. I myself forget it.

Loose linkage or cable can cost a few hp and drive you nuts trying to figure it out.
I went crazy because my carbs were racing like crazy whenever I stopped. Timed the car, adjusted the mixture, adjusted the valves, used the snail synchronizer , got the best idle I ever had. Got in the car ran great to the next stop light, same problem. This time I did not shut the engine off and when I opened the hood it idled perfect !!!!!!!!! I had a rain deflector that caught the rain that came from the hood louvers, it got loose and was lightly hitting my linkage. I ripped it out an threw it as far is I could!
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rgdedge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Runs bad when cruising!!! Reply with quote

My 36mm delloratos started cutting out at cruising speed a few years back. I tried cleaning them, checked the linkage, plugs, points. It ended up being lean at cruising speed due to the ethonal in the gas. went up a size on the idle jets and its running great like it always has for the last 25+ years.
Tim
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: