Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

emergency advice. Engine seized
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimj90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: emergency advice. Engine seized Reply with quote

please help.

engine was free and fine then seized out of nowhere....

pushed car tried to free it up by popping clutch
removed spark plugs,
removed starter,

still seized.

any tricks?

update......tried to pry at the flywheel gear while the starter is out.....couldnt really get a good prying angle...

have no clue what would cause the engine to seize.

P.S.
I had the fuel pump push rod stuck down in there recently.....I did get it out....could a small shard of that be down there seizing things up?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: emergency advice. Engine seized Reply with quote

1. You're trying to turn the engine with a wrench on the crankshaft bolt, right?

2. If you recently did something with that fuel pump pushrod, certainly would be worth your time to pull the fuel pump and pushrod and try to turn the engine.

3. Also, does your clutch pedal still feel exactly the same when you push that down ?
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
DeathTrap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: emergency advice. Engine seized Reply with quote

Did you scream allahu akbar, allahu akbar, allahu akbar as it blew up?
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: emergency advice. Engine seized Reply with quote

DeathTrap wrote:
Did you scream allahu akbar, allahu akbar, allahu akbar as it blew up?

You gotta be wearing a vest when you do that-- by the way Allah is listening-- Embarassed Embarassed Watch much GoPro siria on youtube do we Laughing Laughing

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimj90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: emergency advice. Engine seized Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
1. You're trying to turn the engine with a wrench on the crankshaft bolt, right?

yes.....wont budge

2. If you recently did something with that fuel pump pushrod, certainly would be worth your time to pull the fuel pump and pushrod and try to turn the engine.

we thought the push rod fell deeper......it was stuck down in there but the engine was free........now that it was seized....we RAMMED it out if there with a pry bar and hammer....

still seized.

3. Also, does your clutch pedal still feel exactly the same when you push that down ?

seems fine....we were able to put in gear and neutral when trying to pop it free....

answered your questions above....in your quote...
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: emergency advice. Engine seized Reply with quote

Were you driving? Was there oil in it? Drain the oil and check for metal. Did you hear a bang or clunk or anything? Was the motor running fine for days/months/years? Do not panic. Check to see if the bakelite foot for the fuel pump has broken and stuck down there. Check the fan housing to see if something got in astuck in the fan. Take off the fan belt see if motor will turn. Take off valve covers and see if everything looks ok on both sides.

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: emergency advice. Engine seized Reply with quote

I'm gonna take a WAG (Wild Azz Guess) and say, spun bearing. Happened to me: Half a block out of the driveway, the engine just stops. (I don't remember hearing anything unusual.) Won't even crank over.
Much diagnostics later, I found a bent pin & spun crank bearing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: