Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

are these worth refurbishing?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thing73sv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: are these worth refurbishing? Reply with quote

Pulled the hub caps of and they seem to have a few dings and dirty. Should I repair these? Or replace with vw bug caps? Someone mentioned these may be rare... but I cant cross reference the picture to find a set similar.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they are rare. I have a set on my Acapulco. The caps are shown in the acc. lit. for all vw's for 1974. The caps are stainless and the center cap I think are also, so you can work and polish. If you decide to get rid of these let me know, I have 2 extras but could always have more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SilverThing Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree that they are pretty rare and worth restoring, if you can. I have a single copy of a different style accessory cap from the same time period.
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is what they look like when you clean them up this is on my brother Ron Domeck's thing

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thing73sv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback, I guess ill buy some polish and a few rags... any particular polosh to use? Those caps look beautiful cleaned up
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused No, they are not worth it.... Send them to me, I'll dispose of them for you!! Wink Surprised Laughing

You've got some Great factory accessories on that Thing! Keep them all!! ( even if ya don't use them, store them away for a rainy day)...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found some new polish that is the best I have tried I got mine at pep boys
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: a note about stainless Reply with quote

hey Guys,

my 2 cents,

I've not done stainless wheel covers like these but I did manage to repair some stainless Mustang window mouldings that were really cruddy, painted, scratched and dented.

With a very tiny hammer and a clean flat surface to hammer on and some 1500 and 2000 grit sandpaper and follow up with a good buffing wheel and rouge I've restored stainless before but it is very time consuming and tedious. but it can be done.

from the photo these wheel covers dont look that bad, try to clean them real good with a good cleaner, a stainless steel safe cleaner (not sure if simple green is ss friendly but somthing like that) the "polish' will do a good job on what's not scratched but if you HAVE to fix deep scratches you can try to lightly sand and buff, buff buff and buff some more, then hit it with the polish.

If these are as rare as the guys say, I'd practice on somthing else that's stainless so you can get a feel for hammering any slight dents, or smoothing any gouges. No need to ruin anything rare, unless you are sure you're comfortable with what you're doing.

Anyways, If it was me and they were that rare, I'd practice on a few stainless items before I damaged anything.

Good luck with it, hope it comes out ok!

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ones you see on my Acapulco were done by taking the lug nuts off and the center caps and polished with rouge and a 3 in. buffing wheel. The lugs are held on with screws from the rear and the center caps are glued on, mine were falling off.
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: are these worth refurbishing? Reply with quote

Try polishing one of these sometime.. I've had 4 now. A lot of work but well worth it. This one is a 1980 31 footer..

Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: are these worth refurbishing? Reply with quote

Oooh. Shiny object. Share your methodology please.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: