Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Upright OEM spin on filter.
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaBraink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: Upright OEM spin on filter. Reply with quote

Was there an OEM spin on oil filter mounted on or near the gen/alt stand?

It appears to be on this video.

If so, how are the oil galleries routed and can this be adapted to DP, dual relief earlier cases?

https://youtu.be/NkJ-H1DvvTU

Thanks

There's never enough time to do things right, but always enough time to do them over.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Upright OEM spin on filter. Reply with quote

No. It was an aftermarket kit.

They were a disaster. When you removed the filter oil poured everywhere.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos

Last edited by vwracerdave on Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Upright OEM spin on filter. Reply with quote

Aftermarket bypass-type (not full-flow) oil filter kit.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5324781

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3259654

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5930653

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by KTPhil on Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
DaBraink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Upright OEM spin on filter. Reply with quote

Thanks, it seems to be a good option for fitment issues with exhaust and tin interference.

Did it work well and who offered it? I haven't seen many pics or posts on this, so I assume it wasn't that accepted.

There's never enough time to do things right, but always enough time to do them over.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Upright OEM spin on filter. Reply with quote

A bypass filter only filters a fraction of the oil; most oil bypasses the filter (hence the name).

The preferred type is the "full flow" which filters 100% of the oil all the time. But it requires a special pump and external lines, and/or case modifications.

Last edited by KTPhil on Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Upright OEM spin on filter. Reply with quote

Correct, the by-pass oil filter system only filters a very small amount, but at a finer method. The restrictor in my Baldwin B164 is about .032". Don't bad mouth the by-pass setup. 356/912's have the by-pass filter setup.
Many of our engines do not require much mod's to install. Tee off the oil pressure switch and the return can easily be at the type 3 block off plate or if using an additional sump, tapping is easy.
My DD bus uses a full flow, by-pass, and sump. Hey, I had the time and parts sourcing was easy.
Bill
lolight70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Upright OEM spin on filter. Reply with quote

Are these rare ?
I had one once on an early bay window
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Upright OEM spin on filter. Reply with quote

lolight70 wrote:
Are these rare ?
I had one once on an early bay window
There was one on my car when I bought it a few years ago. I'm still using it.

vwracerdave wrote:

They were a disaster. When you removed the filter oil poured everywhere.
Lay a rag on the pulley just below the filter. Then slip a plastic sack like the ones from Walmart over the filter. Quickly unscrew the filter into the bag and stand it up to minimize the amount of oil that spills out of it. The oil that does get out will be caught in the bag. Small drips from the filter mount will be caught on the rag. Very minimal mess. Cool

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
56vwoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Upright OEM spin on filter. Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is an old oil filter adapter I bought through JC Penny Catalog in the mid 70's. Took oil from pressure sensor location and returned the oil through a hollow bolt in the generator stand!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Upright OEM spin on filter. Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
Lay a rag on the pulley just below the filter. Then slip a plastic sack like the ones from Walmart over the filter. Quickly unscrew the filter into the bag and stand it up to minimize the amount of oil that spills out of it. The oil that does get out will be caught in the bag. Small drips from the filter mount will be caught on the rag. Very minimal mess.

I saw them on a few of our rental buggies back in mid-1970s.

I say raise up rear of VW when draining the oil, then when done under there lower the VW, the oil level in the filter will be below center, should then be able to be removed with minimal drippage.

When I had a vertical oil filter on my fan shroud, I used to bend a piece of aluminum foil to make a dam to catch the drips doing this, then just spin on new filter and through the messy foil away.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: