Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 127, 128, 129  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnyrose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

anybody out there
Walter4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Sorry, I meant to take a picture for you last night.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It appears that there is a backing plate that we screw them in to.
dirtride99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

i have a 71 dual port empi 32/36 carb. I did timing plugs wires cap rotor adjusted valves carb rebuild and did many different jetting variations. runs like crap from idle to 2500 rpm. if i put my hand 3/4 the way over the top of the carb it runs like a dream and very very responsive. what could the issue be
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

dirtride99 wrote:
i have a 71 dual port empi 32/36 carb. I did timing plugs wires cap rotor adjusted valves carb rebuild and did many different jetting variations. runs like crap from idle to 2500 rpm. if i put my hand 3/4 the way over the top of the carb it runs like a dream and very very responsive. what could the issue be

It if fairly cool in Pennsylvaina these days. The choke should be fully closed before you try to start the car in the morning. Does it run like a dream until that choke opens?

Having tried many different jetting variations, I take it if you found a combination that worked you would have stopped there. Can we also deduce that the car had that carburetor when you bought it and it has never worked correctly.
dirtride99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

the motor is on a rail. its in a 70 degree garage i have electric choke tied open. i let it set there n idle until its up to running temp then try to rev it and itll fall on its face until it hits about 2500rpm. Ill keep messing with jets i guess. The only other thing i can think is cam is worn out. So tomorrow ill check valve lift. I just got it 2weeks ago. Other then that im completely stumped.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

dirtride99 wrote:
the motor is on a rail. its in a 70 degree garage i have electric choke tied open. i let it set there n idle until its up to running temp then try to rev it and itll fall on its face until it hits about 2500rpm. Ill keep messing with jets i guess. The only other thing i can think is cam is worn out. So tomorrow ill check valve lift. I just got it 2weeks ago. Other then that im completely stumped.

There's the answer. You messed with the jets with the choke tied open. Therefore for the car to start when cold the jets had to be set way way to rich.
dirtride99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

i have no issue with starting it can set for 2days and i dont even have to pump carb just bump key and idles like a 2016. I let it warm up to running temp. smash throttle to floor and it bogges out until it hits 2500rpm then it comes to life. Or cover top of carb 3/4 the way with ur hand and it comes to life for idle to 5000rpm. I jetted exactly the way air cold.net said to and didnt change a bit. it was a massive difference in jetting but didnt change a single bit.
Walter4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

It seems that if you're ordering sheet metal that cip1's free shipping makes them the only one from whom to buy.

Am I missing something?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Walter4 wrote:
It seems that if you're ordering sheet metal that cip1's free shipping makes them the only one from whom to buy.

Am I missing something?

I prefer the local junkyard. There is a couple of weekends of cleaning and derusting, but no shipping. Smile
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Does anyone have a list of measuring tools needed to rebuild a stock 1600 dp?
not too sure what types to look for when measuring inside diameters for bearings and such. also any recommendations on brands all i seem to find are horror freight cheapies or highend muy expensivo any middle of the road out there. ps first time tearing down.
Saylr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject: Wide body beetles Reply with quote

I've now seen two bugs for sale on Craigslist described as rare wide body editions.Did vw actually produce a wide body version or are they referring to aftermarket fenders,etc?
Walter4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Found this little bag of plastic do dads in the A pillar. Are they VW related items or just some, random 70s stuff?

vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Walter4 wrote:
Found this little bag of plastic do dads in the A pillar. Are they VW related items or just some, random 70s stuff?

Looks like a stash of highlighter covers to me. Question

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Does anyone have a list of measuring tools needed to rebuild a stock 1600 dp?
not too sure what types to look for when measuring inside diameters for bearings and such. also any recommendations on brands all i seem to find are horror freight cheapies or highend muy expensivo any middle of the road out there. ps first time tearing down.

Both Muir's Idiot manual and Bentley's have pretty comprehensive lists of basic tune up and rebuild tools lists.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide body beetles Reply with quote

Saylr wrote:
I've now seen two bugs for sale on Craigslist described as rare wide body editions.Did vw actually produce a wide body version or are they referring to aftermarket fenders,etc?

No such thing as a "rare wide body edition" in the VW catalog. Buyer beware!!! Shocked

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Walter4 wrote:

Am I missing something?

I prefer the local junkyard. There is a couple of weekends of cleaning and derusting, but no shipping. Smile

Also the aftermarket sheet metal is really crappy fit and quality. Search the forums and you'll be overwhelmed with testimony to that effect.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
1963backtolife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

This seems a good spot for this? Why do I keep finding the odd balls? First I bought a 1965 Beetle. Gas gauge states gasalina. And the owner did live on the boarder. So I assume Mexican bug. Fine easy. But I found a cheap running 1973 Super beetle to drive everyday. But the engine code is AB. Funny never seen that. Tech info here said 1973ish 1300? What the? Where might this thing have floating in from? Looks American. No obvious euro parts.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Engines can be changed and people do it all the time. Other countries had different models and engine sizes than we did for the same year cars. I didn't look up an AB code but if it doesn't agree with the car it's most likely a rebuilt engine with a different case than what was originally supplied with the car. Cool

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
1963backtolife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
Engines can be changed and people do it all the time. Other countries had different models and engine sizes than we did for the same year cars. I didn't look up an AB code but if it doesn't agree with the car it's most likely a rebuilt engine with a different case than what was originally supplied with the car. Cool

America never got a DUAL port 1300. And it is a 1973 engine. So it does agree with the car.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Maybe if you posted the VIN and/or the engine # somebody here could sort it out. Just because it's a 1973 engine in a 1973 car doesn't mean it's the original 1973 engine for that car. And just because the engine # says it's a 1300 from a VW delivered to a foreign market doesn't mean it's still a 1300cc motor. All of that factory stuff took place over 40 years ago. Just sayin... Very Happy

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 127, 128, 129  Next
Jump to:
Page 24 of 129

Jump to: