Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Changes required to go from behind the shroud to in front
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JPro62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject: Changes required to go from behind the shroud to in front Reply with quote

I have a motor that came out of a sand rail that I am installing into a sedan. It was set up for behind the shroud linkage. It has dual 44 idf webers. Can I simply change the linkage bases from left to right to make it in front the shroud? How do I swap the carb pivot hardware from back to front? The throttle stops can be moved, but the carbs only have provisions for the return spring on the shaft to mount on one side. Are behind the shroud carbs built different?
Chip Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Changes required to go from behind the shroud to in fron Reply with quote

I'd say just swap the carbs from side to side.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Changes required to go from behind the shroud to in fron Reply with quote

There is no difference is way carbs are made other then you can swap them from side to side and you can change the hardware on ends of shafts that the throttle arms and idles speed screws are on.... A IDF is IDF to best of my knowledge there is only one basic design for the carb body, you just place in according to whats necessary for linkage and fit...

Manifolds are different there is several styles as to straight and offset, or tall or short.... Also air cleaner bases will determined how front of shroud linkage works (fits), it has to be paired with straight or offset manifolds...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Changes required to go from behind the shroud to in fron Reply with quote

Just thinking on the fly here... I would start by unbolting the manifolds from the heads with the carbs attached, swapping everything side for side, and seeing where that left me. A lot of stuff might just fall into place. Maybe... Rolling Eyes

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
JPro62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Changes required to go from behind the shroud to in fron Reply with quote

Wow, is there a record for biggest brain fart? Looks like swapping sides fixes it. Only problem is the fuel barbs face towards the rear of the car now. They appear to be pressed in or at least the non barb side is not threaded and cast over.

Last edited by JPro62 on Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Changes required to go from behind the shroud to in fron Reply with quote

Doghouse oil cooler might be an issue with the pivot or crossbar linkage if that's the type fan shroud you have.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Changes required to go from behind the shroud to in fron Reply with quote

Doghouse oil cooler might be an issue with the pivot or crossbar linkage??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JPro62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Changes required to go from behind the shroud to in fron Reply with quote

Stupid question, I have a pair of offset MB stamped manifolds that I picked used here on the samba. The linkage isn't parallel to the shroud, it is close to hitting the fan shroud on the passenger side. I swapped the manifolds from side to side, but same issue. Are offset manifolds designed to be left and right sided, could I have two left side ones?
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Changes required to go from behind the shroud to in fron Reply with quote

Problem could be wrong air cleaner base (hex bar pivot points)....

Dale

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
JPro62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Changes required to go from behind the shroud to in fron Reply with quote

They are CB Plates. One is stamped 3024L and the other 3024R. The 3024R is on the passenger side and the pivot is more towards the shroud. Looking at the CB site it appears that number is their 6481. Looks like I may need to order their 3266 kit or just the right side 3413.
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Changes required to go from behind the shroud to in fron Reply with quote

JPro62 wrote:
Wow, is there a record for biggest brain fart? Looks like swapping sides fixes it. Only problem is the fuel barbs face towards the rear of the car now. They appear to be pressed in or at least the non barb side is not threaded and cast over.

Swap the carbs left for right?
Might that also have addressed the issue of linkage?
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Changes required to go from behind the shroud to in fron Reply with quote

Mikedrevguy wrote:
JPro62 wrote:

It addresses the fuel inlet facing wrong way.... As for linkage, it all depends on what is there now and how it has been bastardized over time...

Dale

JPro62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Changes required to go from behind the shroud to in fron Reply with quote

Looking at photos of weber idf's they all appear to have the fuel inlet as a threaded insert. Mine is pressed in. It is stamped with Weber Brevettato. Are these spanish webers or some knock offs?
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Changes required to go from behind the shroud to in fron Reply with quote

JPro62 wrote:
Looking at photos of weber idf's they all appear to have the fuel inlet as a threaded insert. Mine is pressed in. It is stamped with Weber Brevettato. Are these spanish webers or some knock offs?

Those are early generation Italian or Spanish Webers... The later generations have threaded fuel inlets....

Dale

esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Changes required to go from behind the shroud to in fron Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Mikedrevguy wrote:
JPro62 wrote:

It addresses the fuel inlet facing wrong way.... As for linkage, it all depends on what is there now and how it has been bastardized over time...

Dale

Don't swap the whole carb, just the tops.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: