Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

can i sand my gel coat and clear over it
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1963 buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: can i sand my gel coat and clear over it Reply with quote

I am wondering if i sand my gel coat and put a few layers of clear with some flake in it how will it come out. I sanded the gel coat this weekend then buffed it with some rubbing compond in a small area and it looks good. if i sand the whole can and clear it will it look as good. i bellieve the clear is gone on pretty much the whole car, and this would be much better than prepeping and painting the entire car. i would like to keep the original color, is it possible please help.
eshan2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The majority of gel coats are not UV stable.You will be happier in the long run to paint the car.You can have a panel scanned at most major automotive paint stores and unless the color contains pearl it will be a very close match.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1963 buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx, i guess no one else has any comments
Foxx
Uncle Meat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1963 buggy
not everone will post comments.
not everone can answer your question but if you wait, someone will try.
i myself, have not tried to clear coart over fiberglass so i cannot answer.
it might be worth a try,just don't know.

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupidity. i seem to use a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nthang
Sambassador

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the question, 1963? Will the clear stick to gel coat? Yes, like a mofo. Will the solvents in the clear react adversely with the gel coat? No. You can clear over gel coat and get the same results that you get clearing over anything else....if its clean, the clear will adhere and do the same job. I would say that the trick will be to blend the clear into other areas that you are not clearing. You may never get the gloss right. Don't know though. Would not be a problem if you cleared the whole car.

Custom paint jobs on pleasure boats are done with automotive paints. As has already been stated, the clear will provide the UV protection that the gel does not have.
1963 buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info, i am going to clean and sand the entire car and throw a few layers of clear on it. The thing is i really like the originaly color that is on there but in some spots it is pretty rough. i did sand and buff a few small areas and its looks pretty good. ireally did not want to paint the car a new color, but if i have to i will. i talked to a guy the said he would clear it a put some flake in the clear to give it some depth with the flake that is in there now.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: