Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do I change automatic transmission fluid on 91 Vanagon
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skydivecarl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: How do I change automatic transmission fluid on 91 Vanagon Reply with quote

I hate to ask such a simple question, but I've searched the web, searched here, and even read through a PDF manual, and I cannot find out exactly where to change the automatic transmission fluid on a 91 vanagon.

I can see where the dipstick goes, and it attaches to a pan which has 4 bolts. But also, behind that there is another little pan type thing that has around 10-12 bolts. I'm guessing I just have to unscrew one and let it drain out, and most likely put in a new gasket, but I'm not sure which one is the right one? Also I'm not sure which one houses the filter, or if the filter even necessarily needs to be changed each time. Thanks.
GrindGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the pan that has the dipstick / fill tube is the one you want to empty. You can remove that tube and let it drain. If you would like to change the filter you remove the pan.

I'm not a trans expert but if your trans has never been serviced and it has a good amount of miles, say around 100k leave it alone. I have seen transmissions of different types fail after a fluid / filter change.

91 Vanagon AUTO
97 Single Port EJ22 all smallcar.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I change automatic transmission fluid on 91 Vanag Reply with quote

skydivecarl wrote:

I can see where the dipstick goes, and it attaches to a pan which has 4 bolts.

^That'd be for the ATF.

skydivecarl wrote:
But also, behind that there is another little pan type thing that has around 10-12 bolts.

^That'd be for the gear oil. Next time I ever have to change that stuff, I'm getting an extraction tool and sucking the fluid out of the refill hole. Taking a gear oil bath, despite being careful, is not fun. Mad
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skydivecarl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, I think I will just remove the dipstick tube, and drain some fluid, then replace the same amount of fluid and verify its level, sounds easy.

I'm not near the vehicle right now to look, Do you just put a wrench on the dipstick tube and turn?

Its got about 90K miles on it. The reason I'm changing is because although it seems to run pretty good overall, at the end of my last drive (a 100 mile one), there were a couple times when it felt like it was slipping a little bit. It was when accellerating from a red light, and turning, only going about 10mph, when it went to shift it seemed to slip a bit.
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it to a shop!!
jvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's only a matter of removing the four bolts and or the tube to drain why take it to a shop if your willing to spend the time and patience? What are the unknowns for someone whose never done this or why would a transmission fail after a change of fluid and filter?
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change the filter, change the fluid, put Ford type F fluid back in it, your all done.
DubDzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I change automatic transmission fluid on 91 Vanag Reply with quote

when taking the pan out and putting the filter in. when you place the gasket to place the pan back in do you guys use rtv gasket sealant . or just use the replacement seal that comes with the kit bolt place the bolts back and thats it?
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I change automatic transmission fluid on 91 Vanag Reply with quote

Our FAQs are a little tough to navigate..the answer is in there..but a very nice fellow (me) put a pictorial on changing the ATF and filter right here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7674877#7674877
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DubNuts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I change automatic transmission fluid on 91 Vanag Reply with quote

Like Atlas shows in his post..
The Trans Oil pan has a large O-Ring type with a U shaped seal that half of it fits in the grove around the pan The U part fits to the Trans.

Clean the oil pan grove very well, and try to de grease it..

Get the new Trans O-Ring Seal and Pan warm in the Sunlight

Use Something like Permatex Super Tac and fit the Seal to the Pan, not excessive its not to seal anything just to help you keep the O/U Seal in place till you fit the pan to the Trans.

Place a board across the seal and Pan that covers the four corners. Place some weight on it to help hold the seal in place while it sets up a little.

Reason why is because once your laying under the Van trying to replace the Pan the new O-Ring Trans seal will want to roll out of place and unknowingly your tighten the four bolts and pinch the seal thus having a oil leak once you refill the fluid.. Trust me been there done that a few times..

When tighting the four bolts on each corner alternate corner to corner and don't over Tighten..
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="skydivecarl"]Thanks for the help, I think I will just remove the dipstick tube, and drain some fluid, then replace the same amount of fluid and verify its level, sounds easy.
I'm not near the vehicle right now to look, Do you just put a wrench on the dipstick tube and turn?

Yes. Loosen the nut,then pull it straight out. Drains about 3 litres.Push back in.Tighten.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I change automatic transmission fluid on 91 Vanag Reply with quote

you should change the filter, so need to drop the pan
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change the filter, change the fluid, put Ford type F fluid back in it, your all done.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:

also repl. diff. fluid & inspect both for mixing

and then, you're all done
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: