Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1985 cabby dies while driving...
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KoMbI19
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: 1985 cabby dies while driving... Reply with quote

Okay, so I do not own this car yet and as a matter of fact haven't even looked at it. I am going to look at a trade this evening and thought i should try and get some words of wisdom before I go out on a limb.

The owner told me that he was driving the car and all of the sudden, it dies out, not to start again. The engine turns, (I think it even cranks) but won't fire. It is a gas engine with the standard transmission. I know hardly anything about these engines (being a air cooled man, myself) and am just going to start with what I can think of (fuel pump, ignition switch, and spark, and fuel pressure). I have also heard the relay for the fuel pump can cause some issues. Any other words of wisdom as for what else I should check would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-JD
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1985 cabby dies while driving... Reply with quote

Sounds like an in-tank fuel pump. Remove the bottom cushion on the back seat, remove the feed line from the top of the tank & see if you get fuel flow when you try to start it, if no fuel flows out, there's your problem. If you do this in front of the owner, they may not sell it or may want more.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1985 cabby dies while driving... Reply with quote

Generally, a bad pump will act like that, as already said. The bad pump will put an extra load on the relay, so if you end up replacing the pump(s), replace the relay at the same time. I don't remember if this year car has an intank pre-pump and then an external, or just the external pump or the pump in a sealed housing.
helowrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1985 cabby dies while driving... Reply with quote

either losss of power to the pump, or a failing pump.

to check the power, piggyback a pair of wires onto the pump wires, and trail them up to a test light in the car.

If the pump stops, but light stays lit, you still have power, but a bad pump.

option 2 (the redneck method)
when the car quits, reach under the car, and smack the pump with a 2x2 or a hammer handle. sometimes it will come back on.............

Rob
73 914 1.7
12 Passat 2.5 Highway cruiser
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1985 cabby dies while driving... Reply with quote

I used to carry a jumper wire to use, it jumped the main terminals in the fuse panel to give power to the pump, it was handy to determine if it was the pump that was failing or the relay. I've had both fail, and this is an easy tool that fits in the glove box and if it's the relay, you are no longer stranded.
helowrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1985 cabby dies while driving... Reply with quote

ps2375 wrote:
I used to carry a jumper wire to use, it jumped the main terminals in the fuse panel to give power to the pump, it was handy to determine if it was the pump that was failing or the relay. I've had both fail, and this is an easy tool that fits in the glove box and if it's the relay, you are no longer stranded.

Every watercooled I was involved with had this wire in the glovebox, thanks for reminding me of that.
73 914 1.7
12 Passat 2.5 Highway cruiser
MrPapageorgio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1985 cabby dies while driving... Reply with quote

Check and replace the grounds
KoMbI19
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1985 cabby dies while driving... Reply with quote

Well, thanks for the help everyone! Unfortunately both the car and it's donor car were absolute basket cases. I took one look under the hood and walked away.

Every wire was disconnected, and every hose removed. It was a mess. The top was Ripped straight through in more places than I could count on two hands, and the paint was a mess. The only good points were the interior was nice and it was rust free. Unfortunately, I was going to trade him a super nice Jetta, and was in no mood for a project, especially after that horrible misrepresentation.

Live and learn, I guess.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: