Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Green tinted rear glass
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joshua B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:20 am    Post subject: Green tinted rear glass Reply with quote

So I have two sets of split glass. Both sets are non logo, and came from two different cars that I have owned. I believe both to be original to the cars. I know some of the rear window glass is unlogoed. First of all why is this if they decided to put logos on every other piece? Next one set is green, and I have seen other green sets. What is the story with the green tint?
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Green tinted rear glass Reply with quote

The ones with no logo are generally non tempered plate glass.

Tempered glass will normally have little divots or "tong marks" along one edge from where they were hung during tempering.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Joshua B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Green tinted rear glass Reply with quote

Thanks, anyone have any info on the green tinted rear glass?
Grant Reiling Premium Member
Samba Slow-Change Artist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Green tinted rear glass Reply with quote

Joshua B wrote:
Thanks, anyone have any info on the green tinted rear glass?

No Joshua, I've not seen evidence of such; maybe you could post pics of your example? Idea
What we imagine in our minds becomes our world. That’s just one of many things I have learned from water."
Misaru Emoto
The Hidden Messages in Water
Joshua B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Green tinted rear glass Reply with quote

I will have to dig them out when I am able to go through my parts next week. There is a single pain for sale in the classifieds now. I thought I had read about it on a thread in the past but can't find it. Don't know if they are non factory but thought people would know. I also think they made sky lights for deluxe buses in green for a few years as well.
Grant Reiling Premium Member
Samba Slow-Change Artist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Green tinted rear glass Reply with quote

Joshua B wrote:
I will have to dig them out when I am able to go through my parts next week. There is a single pain for sale in the classifieds now. I thought I had read about it on a thread in the past but can't find it. Don't know if they are non factory but thought people would know. I also think they made sky lights for deluxe buses in green for a few years as well.

You must be referencing this one right Joshua?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1838385
Notice also, that it is tempered
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1838385

and bears tong marks as Chris mentioned.
splitjunkie wrote:
The ones with no logo are generally non tempered plate glass.

Tempered glass will normally have little divots or "tong marks" along one edge from where they were hung during tempering.

Perhaps the code beneath the "BI-VETRAL/ESG Tempered" would link to more info?
While I have not seen split window beetles with these, I DO recall them being in my '63 Microbus!...however no split-era beetle I've ever seen had tinted glass (at least any I've seen) Wink
I'm curious whether anyone can shed light on this, or offer evidence in PR or Gute Fahrt on whether cars fitted thus would have come from Wolfsburg?
What we imagine in our minds becomes our world. That’s just one of many things I have learned from water."
Misaru Emoto
The Hidden Messages in Water
stanovich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Green tinted rear glass Reply with quote

some american cars in the fifties had a green tint to the glass, my Aunts 55 mercury did. could it be replacement glass as it has no logo
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: