Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Volvo 262C - factory chop-top luxo-barge
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:21 am    Post subject: Volvo 262C - factory chop-top luxo-barge Reply with quote

Folks, I have the opportunity to buy a 1980 Volvo 262C.
This was a top-range two-door coupe built for Volvo by Bertone in Italy around 1978-1980; its most outstanding feature was the roof lowered by about three inches; it really was a factory chop-top.

Am I stupid for considering this?

I've played with a couple of Volvos in the past...including one or two with a V8 transplant Wink

OK, so it's not a VW but there might be some Euro-files on here... Who knows anything about this rare car?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Volvo 262C - factory chop-top luxo-barge Reply with quote

we use to call them Bert One's...as is Bert only made 1 part that fits them.

had a customer with a 780 bertone years ago. every body panel/glass/window regulator was bertone only. personally, I think its a real ugly 240. some parts are pretty scarce, and were when they were new.

that is a odd car with probably zero collector value. most likely has the junk 2.7l pig out (Peugeot) engine....again an odd engine plagued with issues. no joke, me an the other lead tech would call out when one was on the schedule....they were (are) that bad....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Volvo 262C - factory chop-top luxo-barge Reply with quote

Yes it has the PRV V6 and yes I am aware of some problems but I'm willing to stick an LS1 etc into it Very Happy
Tuff240
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Volvo 262C - factory chop-top luxo-barge Reply with quote

If you like, go ahead. The basic chassis is the same as a regular 240. The 240 is a very durable and robust car that can do anything (circuit, rally, drift, drag, street) well if set up for it. The 262 Bertone does have some specific parts mostly related to the lower roof.

The PRV 6 is a really good motor with a couple small and fixable problems. Parts for them are getting hard to source now though. There is a guy in Seattle that's been running one in his rally car for over a decade with around 550hp (turboed). That being said, most people swap to the much more common 4cyl turbo "redblock" or swap a V8 in.

They do have some collectible value, but the market is small and cheap so it would have to be a pristine original car to bring any real money. Most are neglected turd buckets that need total restoration these days.

If you are in OZ, it might be a little more valuable than it is here in the US.

I know a lot about 240's, but my knowledge is a bit weak in the Bertone area since I've only owned a couple of them compared to over 700 240's.
If you have questions you can PM me and if I don't know the answer I have friends that will.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Volvo 262C - factory chop-top luxo-barge Reply with quote

I used to see on in Brooklyn everyday walking to work and always thought hmm chopped 240....kinda cool. Got the period turbine wheels on it? Dark window tint? I think I'd be looking for a 240 with a decent engine and manual to swap.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Volvo 262C - factory chop-top luxo-barge Reply with quote

I love these cars! They are getting rare here too. I would not hesitate. A unique body with all the solid mechanicals besides the engine. My only gripe with these cars has been the upholstery! Volvo usually got it right, but the few Bertones had overstuffed, quilted lounge chairs. Am I remembering these correctly experts? Hope I don't have it confused with another rig.

I slowly passed a 780 on the freeway Friday (in my V70)- and it renewed my interest in those cars too. Glad to read above that those cars are even funkier (just saved me money there). Cool

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Volvo 262C - factory chop-top luxo-barge Reply with quote

interiors are way goofy, and bertone only as well.

the 780 had very specific body panels that were bertone only, as well as lights/lenses and all the glass. didn't see too many 262's but they at least shared more 240 components.

I dunno...it's right up there with the first generation P2 S80 T6 in my book...

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Volvo 262C - factory chop-top luxo-barge Reply with quote

yeah the car is in Oz - as am I - and paint and body is in terrific condition, as is the pleated and buttoned leather interior (a little dirty but no rips or tears!) and it rolls on its original turbine-type wheels

I have been told the car starts/drives/runs however I have not been back to inspect this yet...

I have transplanted an EFI V8 into a Volvo 242GT and would be willing to do it again (probably an LS Chev and auto) but it would be nice if I could get a few years out of the Volvo V6 for local cruising and the occasional 1200-mile interstate trip.

Skills and Tuff240, what are the problems with the PRV V6? If you could give me a few hints for pre-purchase inspection, that would be great...
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Volvo 262C - factory chop-top luxo-barge Reply with quote

VWCOOL wrote:

Skills and Tuff240, what are the problems with the PRV V6? If you could give me a few hints for pre-purchase inspection, that would be great...

it's made by Peugeot (and Renault) Laughing

PeugeotVolvoRenault=PVR

piss oil from everywhere

heads MUST be discarded and not machined (according to Volvo) reason being is the timing chain arrangement will not allow for milling the heads. the tensioners (and their positioning) will not take up the slack from this

oiling issues to the heads

cam wear (as in loose a lobe)

timing chain issues

oil filter is a real asshole place. almost impossible to remove if the engine mounts are sacked out

overly complex under performing money eating piece of shit. parts are non-existent here in the states.

sludge accelerated cam wear due to bad hardening/poor oiling design.

very fragile engines. if you want the car, consider the engine a total waste of time. very difficult to service even basic stuff.

that's from memory....a place in time I would much rater forget....

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: Volvo 262C - factory chop-top luxo-barge Reply with quote

To add to this list, the intake manifold may have to be partially removed to take the distributor cap off Confused
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: Volvo 262C - factory chop-top luxo-barge Reply with quote

Thanks folks (I think!) so if it is a low-mileage running vehicle I'll enjoy it for now but keep a few bucks in the bank for a Chev LS and 6L80E conversion Smile
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Volvo 262C - factory chop-top luxo-barge Reply with quote

Having owned a Lincoln Town Car and a Mercury Colony Park, I find it hilarious that someone would describe a Volvo as a luxo-barge. Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: