Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Suggestion for multiple quotes when replying to topic
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Suggestion for multiple quotes when replying to topic Reply with quote

Suggestion is to have this:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's the reason: How do I quote multiple posts?
Answer: Add the + Quote button.

The + Quote button allows you to select various posts (from different threads if you wish) to be quoted in a reply you type.

To select a message to be quoted, click the + Quote button. Note that the plus sign + changes to a minus sign - which indicates that you have selected this post to quote. Click the - Quote button to deselect it.

When at least one post has been selected for quoting, an Insert Quotes... button will appear below the reply button.

Clicking the Insert Quotes... button will activate a pop-up window allowing you to confirm which of the selected posts you wish to quote in your reply. Select the required quoted posts and click the Quote These Messages button.

The posts will all be inserted into the reply box ready for you to add your comments.

Reference:
https://www.avforums.com/faq/how-do-i-quote-multiple-posts-what-is-the-quote-button.35/
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggeston for multiple quotes when replying to topic Reply with quote

OhBoy, just what we need: another function to be widely misused by thesamba users, to the serious detriment of forum readability.

Users can already multiple-quote by manually entering the BBCode. Yes, it takes a bit of effort, and it should, because then it will motivate users to
only quote salient parts of a post, instead of the wholesale and pointless quoting that already pollutes many threads here.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggeston for multiple quotes when replying to topic Reply with quote

Geez...who dumped tacks down in your underwear?

Say you post a question or statement and don't come back for a day or two... and you have a mixture of multiple replies & questions.

It would be nice to have the functionality to clearly address each person/question/comment. It's a tool....

To code it the way you propose is pretty bad. You'd have to select a ton of text (much of it irrelevant)... then delete stuff and code away.

With the functionality options of code... doing it once makes sense (what I'm proposing)... doing it for the rest of your Samba life doesn't (what you're proposing).

But... if this dies... then here's the tools one needs to BBCode to their hearts content:
http://www.bbcode.org/reference.php
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggeston for multiple quotes when replying to topic Reply with quote

The functionality you described would be confusing to a lot of users that already mess up the normal quote tag (not sure how but I am constantly fixing people's quotes)

This is a feature of the latest version of this Forum software.
I hope to move to that at some point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggeston for multiple quotes when replying to topic Reply with quote

If a functionality...Maybe make a 2 min release video on screen actions that pops up when someone clicks on either quote type after going live... Showing how to use each type and they must click on a box after the video... then they have been trained on both quote types & are permitted to proceed.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: Suggeston for multiple quotes when replying to topic Reply with quote

I'm not sure adding an extra "Quote" button is going to prove effective.

Hell knows Mods spend enough time already trying to explain the finer points of using just one "Quote" button and correcting the mistakes of those who just don't and will never "get it". Laughing

Personally, I simply open the reply pane for the first "Quote" and then open the same topic in a second "window". From that second "window" I click on the additional "Quotes" needed and copy and paste into the first. I find it quick and easy to do.

People who are reasonably "Forum savvy" probably use this method anyway...adding the second "Quote" button it seems is pandering to those who aren't savvy and already struggle with one "Quote" button. Will a further button cause more confusion? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: Suggeston for multiple quotes when replying to topic Reply with quote

Ok, cater to LCD.
Not a problem, I can deal with it.
Seems kinda Common Core.

Maybe take away all buttons & just have this link: http://www.bbcode.org/reference.php

Huff over...
If I was a moderator/admin & had to deal with people that can't "get it"... I'd probably appreciate your perspective more.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Suggeston for multiple quotes when replying to topic Reply with quote

easy e wrote:

Huff over...
If I was a moderator/admin & had to deal with people that can't "get it"... I'd probably appreciate your perspective more.

Yep BB code is the easiest to understand, remember and utilise but still there is a huge swathe of the population who can't spare the 15 minutes it would take to learn it. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: