Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

18 inch Phone Dial Wheels becoming a reality - Last Day!!!!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carlos_H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:

Sure, leave us Type 3 guys out. Rolling Eyes

Us 928 guys know how you feel - we are often forgotten in the Porsche world, especially by vendors.

I did not mean to exclude Type 3's, Bob - you guys are probably more off the beaten path, as the 928 is also, and I am not familiar with your wheel requirements or options, so I cannot speak intelligently about them.

By all means, if Type 3's can fit Porsche wheels without too much problem, then this project can work for you as well.

Did I forget anyone else!?

VW: Still collecting parts for Karmann Ghia project!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type 3's need to run more offset than bugs, so porsche wheels generally fit them better than bugs.

I would love to volunteer, but my car isn't 5x130, and has a 5" narrowed beam, so I'm not sure how much help I can be. I know one guy who used to have a Super beetle near me (just inside Pasco County) with 5x130, I can try to see if he still has the car. I'm sure he'd be up for it if he does.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Carlos_H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Unpopular wrote:
Type 3's need to run more offset than bugs, so porsche wheels generally fit them better than bugs.

Good to know, Mr. U, thank you. Yes, it sounds like the Type 3's would be even better candidates - I did not realize that. The 928 in particular has some of the highest offsets for their front wheels (e.g., 7x16 ET65), and is something that limits us on wheel choices.

Mr. Unpopular wrote:
I would love to volunteer, but my car isn't 5x130, and has a 5" narrowed beam, so I'm not sure how much help I can be. I know one guy who used to have a Super beetle near me (just inside Pasco County) with 5x130, I can try to see if he still has the car. I'm sure he'd be up for it if he does.

Let me or Jim Doerr (18" Wheel project lead) know what non-5x130 wheels and tires you are running, front and rear, and how close you run to the fenders with them. Jim and I can look into adapters and see if we can make the Prototype A wheel fit your front and rear. Even if we can only fit the front or only fit the rear, we can get a good proof-of-concept picture from that.

And, yes, feel free to check with the Super Beetle guy in our area. If he still has it and can give you the wheel and tire combo he is running, we can figure out a fit for his as well.

We only have a little over a week left to make it to our funding goal on Kickstarter (see link in Jim's signature - every little bit helps!), but if we make that goal, we will be manufacturing some wheels for the SAE testing, and so will have more wheels to test-fit.

Thank you for the interest and support, all!

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlos_H wrote:
Mr. Unpopular wrote:

Good to know, Mr. U, thank you. Yes, it sounds like the Type 3's would be even better candidates - I did not realize that. The 928 in particular has some of the highest offsets for their front wheels (e.g., 7x16 ET65), and is something that limits us on wheel choices.

Mr. Unpopular wrote:

Let me or Jim Doerr (18" Wheel project lead) know what non-5x130 wheels and tires you are running, front and rear, and how close you run to the fenders with them. Jim and I can look into adapters and see if we can make the Prototype A wheel fit your front and rear. Even if we can only fit the front or only fit the rear, we can get a good proof-of-concept picture from that.

And, yes, feel free to check with the Super Beetle guy in our area. If he still has it and can give you the wheel and tire combo he is running, we can figure out a fit for his as well.

We only have a little over a week left to make it to our funding goal on Kickstarter (see link in Jim's signature - every little bit helps!), but if we make that goal, we will be manufacturing some wheels for the SAE testing, and so will have more wheels to test-fit.

Thank you for the interest and support, all!

Well, the stock offset for a type 3 is an ET 46. T-1 Ghia's and Super beetles use ET 41 rims, and bugs use an ET 30 rim. These are just to give you some ideas on the "stock" offsets. The 5 and 8 spoke rims that everybody offers, are ET 25, which is why the type 3 guys have such a problem with them when lowering their cars.

Most of the guys running Porsche rims (like the ET 52 Boxter rims for example) use a 1 inch spacer to get them to fit. Those using 2.0L Porsche 914 rims, are doing so without spacers, or adding a 1/4 inch spacer just to get the center cap to fit in the rear. VW dealers did offer 4x130 Phone dials, that fit excellent on a type 3. Some type 3 guys even went with the 5x130 pattern, as 5 lug Phone dials are easier to find than the 4 lug version. Shocked
Just a heads up.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Carlos_H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:

Well, the stock offset for a type 3 is an ET 46. T-1 Ghia's and Super beetles use ET 41 rims, and bugs use an ET 30 rim. These are just to give you some ideas on the "stock" offsets. The 5 and 8 spoke rims that everybody offers, are ET 25, which is why the type 3 guys have such a problem with them when lowering their cars.

Most of the guys running Porsche rims (like the ET 52 Boxter rims for example) use a 1 inch spacer to get them to fit. Those using 2.0L Porsche 914 rims, are doing so without spacers, or adding a 1/4 inch spacer just to get the center cap to fit in the rear. VW dealers did offer 4x130 Phone dials, that fit excellent on a type 3. Some type 3 guys even went with the 5x130 pattern, as 5 lug Phone dials are easier to find than the 4 lug version. Shocked
Just a heads up.

Excellent info, Bob - thank you! That is the kind of information we need to see.

I believe I have seen pictures of those 4 lug Phone Dials, but never seen one in person!

Carlos_H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:49 am    Post subject: Kickstarter: Less Than 1 Week To Go! Reply with quote

Less-than-one-week-to-go bump!

FYI. Please note the deadline is just past midnight EDT "Thursday morning", so the deadline is, basically, Wednesday night.

Also, you can change the payment method (which credit card, etc) on the Kickstarter site or on Amazon, right after making the pledge.

Tell any folks that you think may be interested in supporting this project - every bit helps!

Thank you to everyone for their support so far!

Carlos_H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump for today's 30 year anniversary of the Risky Business movie (August 5, 1983)!

Joel (Tom Cruise), the "U-boat commander"; Rebecca De Mornay as the, uhm, working girl; Ray-Ban sunglasses; Bob Seger's Old Time Rock 'n Roll; and, of course, a 928 with the classic Phone Dials! Cool

Carlos_H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump for the last day!

It's a race to the finish line for Project 18" Phone Dial on Kickstarter!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jadz928/project-phone-dial-reviving-a-classic

<6 hours left to go and about $2200 left to raise to make this project successful!

Every bit helps, folks - be a part of team Project Phone Dial and get a cool reward!

Thank you to everyone that has contributed so far!

Notched
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems this topic would have been better off in the Custom Wheel/Tire forum...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=42

Cool

Current stock: '57 Panel Bus, '63 Rat Notch, '64 Baja, '66 Variant, '67 Convertible Ghia, '68 Squareback, '69 Squareback, '69 Fastback

Southern Oregon VW Club -- http://www.sovw.org

Oregon VW Forum -- http://www.oregonvw.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All kickstarter threads go in Off-Topic, even though this one has some VW/Porsche content.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Carlos_H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notched wrote:
Seems this topic would have been better off in the Custom Wheel/Tire forum...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=42

Cool

I appreciate the thought, Notched. I checked with Everett before posting, and I am grateful for The Samba having a place where Jim and I could announce this at all. We tried on another vw board and the thread was shut down and we never received replies from our inquiries.

As it is, I am happy to announce that, thanks to all the contributors and word-spreaders, we made our Kickstarter goal!!!!

This has been a grassroots effort, and shows what can be accomplished when we pool our resources together! The Project Phone Dial team can now perform the SAE wheel testing (which requires us to have some wheels manufactured for the abuse). We heard from our North American wheel manufacturer and they are ready to start the tooling and programming for the 18" Phone Dial wheels!

Onward to the next phase, and thank you to everyone that helped spread the word or contributed!

piledriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: 18 inch Phone Dial Wheels becoming a reality - Last Day! Reply with quote

So.... What happened?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: 18 inch Phone Dial Wheels becoming a reality - Last Day! Reply with quote

piledriver wrote:
So.... What happened?

They made lots of money & got everyone that contributed to pay for their one-off set of wheels.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Dirty Hippie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: 18 inch Phone Dial Wheels becoming a reality - Last Day! Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
piledriver wrote:
So.... What happened?

They made lots of money & got everyone that contributed to pay for their one-off set of wheels.

$29,380 I think it said. After 2 years you'd think there was some progress to share.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: 18 inch Phone Dial Wheels becoming a reality - Last Day! Reply with quote

Another case & point of why lots of the samba members are a bit jaded when it comes to crowd funding inquiries.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: