Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Metal Tubes in Fram Tunnel
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CBales8650
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Metal Tubes in Fram Tunnel Reply with quote

Hi All, So I’ve started to tear down the “mystery” beetle, ’69 pan and unknown +”71 body. Its pretty bare, tore down to the frame tunnel its been media blasted and in primer. Time to replace some weak metal. I’ve noticed some of the metal tubes that the cable for speedo, fuel, and heater boxes are bent, rusted through etc. I’m assuming I’ll have to cut access ports in the tunnel to replace the tubes and re weld them my question is can you buy replacement tubes if not what have you guys been using, ¼” steel brake line? Any advice would be great. Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CBales8650
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Metal Tubes in Fram Tunnel Reply with quote

no one has down this?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal Tubes in Fram Tunnel Reply with quote

Hey CB,
I have never done any of the in tunnel repairs. But I have read a few threads where it is mentioned. First of all the speedo cable does not run through the tunnel. It is attached to your left front brake drum through the spindle.
What you might be thinking about is the clutch cable tube. They do break loose from time to time. If this is the case you may have to window your tunnel to get to the support brackets. Most of the images that I have seen, this is accomplished from the right side of the tunnel. Once you have completed your in tunnel repairs. Make sure to weld the window back in place to maintain structural integrity.
There are a few pictures of whats inside a tunnel. I'll find a link and post it in a few minutes.
Good Luck
EDIT: This is a view of the inside of a tunnel. Note that it is upside down. The tube running the full length of the opening is the fuel line. The rusted tube next to the fuel line is the clutch cable tube. It appears to be in need of reattachment to the bracket that supports the fuel line. Shift rod is in the center. Heater cable tubes are farther back as is the parking brake tubes. Usually the heater and brake tubes are pretty sound. But the clutch cable tube frequently becomes detached from the support bracket.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

BTW this is an extreme example of cutting a tunnel. On the right side of the tunnel you can see there is a window cut. Even this is a bit big. But it does offer great access.
I hope that this helps.
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Metal Tubes in Fram Tunnel Reply with quote

The tubes are different diameters. You'll have to closely match the ID if you plan to replace them. Mostly, I have seen people replace a tube as needed, not all of the tubes.

The best way would seem to be the removal of the tunnel pan, as pictured. Others just cut access windows in the sides of the tunnel, but there are long discussions about how this weakens the tunnel, which helps provide the rigidity for the car. There are folks who report the car buckling right at the point where they cut in the event of an accident.

I would also make sure to thoroughly finish (with paint) the inside of the tunnel and the tubes with paint before sealing it back up.
CBales8650
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal Tubes in Fram Tunnel Reply with quote

Got it, thanks a lot guys. I think I'm going to remove the tunnel pan rather than cut access holes.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: