Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

914 Tranny Swap
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
smokum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:34 pm    Post subject: 914 Tranny Swap Reply with quote

Good day gents im new to the air cooled world and im sorting out my 914,
I have the famously crap tailshift 901 tranny and want to swap in the 5speed vanagon. Does anyone have any experince with this and can maybe enlighten me? thanks in advance
SmokuM
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: 914 Tranny Swap Reply with quote

The 094 R&P is hypoid, and cannot be flipped like the 901. For mid engine, an 094 would have to be run upside down.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 914 Tranny Swap Reply with quote

Upgrade to the >'73 side shifter 914 trans - easy conversion.

The early transaxles actually quite well if all the worn parts in linkage is renewed.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 914 Tranny Swap Reply with quote

Wolfgangdieter wrote:
Upgrade to the >'73 side shifter 914 trans - easy conversion.

The early transaxles actually quite well if all the worn parts in linkage is renewed.

Agree with both statements, Had a tail shifter for decades, it was crap when I bought the used 914, but after I replaced all the shift linkage bushings, it was fine, never missed a shift (I drove the snot out of it!!) true it was not a precise as a modern car, but it did work fine (also be sure tranny and motor mounts are good too).

On another 914 I did the conversion to the side shift (again with all new shift linkage bushings) and it is much nicer than the tail shift, no complaints at all. if you convert to the side shifter you will need to replace everything from the gear shift lever to the transmission all the bits are different, and you will need the later motor mount bar. If you have a very early car you will want to change to soft mounts on the motor for the bar (and rigid mounts on body) also. the soft mounts on the engine will prevent motor case damage if the bar is hit hard, the early hard mounts on the motor would tear out the studs on the motor case if the bar is struck hard, it was a design flaw.
Porsche had two styles of tail shift motor mount bars the early ones had hard mounts on motor case, the later soft mounts on the case. If you have the later tail shift bar, then you only need replace the bar for the side shift style for a tranny conversion to side shift. if you have the early tail shift bar, then you need to replace the mount on the motor with the soft style, and add solid mounts on the body (ends of bar) and then get the correct side shift bar. The side shift motor mount bar only came in the soft mount to engine version.

I think you would be very happy with the sideshifter, but unless you are supper picky, you will find a nicely adjusted tail shifter linkage with new bushings and motor mounts is also very good, a bit sloppy, but very acceptable.

your dime, your labor, but boy, converting to a Bus tranny will be a lot more work, and you wont be happy with the stock Bus gear ratios at all in a light weight sports car. You wont even have a speedo cable mount with the Bus tranny.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: