Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiring Covers
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
formul_volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Wiring Covers Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I'm looking to hide the wiring on a 54-56 Oval (don't know at this moment if it's a real 54, or a 56 ... based on frame VIN and Body VIN and info I had in an other post...).

Did a ''main harness'' tuck (extending some wires, re-locating others) and move the harness to the right to hide it (because air tank / hard line are gonna be ''the thing to look'' and not de wiring...)

So know I want ti hide the fuses, wiring, wiper motor etc...

Can's find a Wiring Cover earlier than 58 ...

Does somebody tried different wiring covers on a 54-56 ?

How does it look, or fit (or not fit ...).

I can easely live with a ''near fitting cover'' that I'll have to trim a bit to fit. But don't want to buy a trim and have no way to make it look like if goes there ... or I'll have to fabricate one in sheet metal ?

Any clue ?
Jrb572
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring Covers Reply with quote

I don't know if it will work. But this one says 56-67.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113863515B
formul_volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring Covers Reply with quote

Does anybody know if there is major differences between this ''wiring space'' or ''firewall'' between 54-56 and 65-66-67 bugs ?
coolparts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring Covers Reply with quote

The WW cover will fit fine
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring Covers Reply with quote

formul_volks wrote:
Does anybody know if there is major differences between this ''wiring space'' or ''firewall'' between 54-56 and 65-66-67 bugs ?

1953-55 is hugely different compared to later Beetles. First of all, 1953-55 have vastly different shaped fuel tanks, necessitating a shorter wire cover. Also, the wire cover is 3 pieces that are stapled together. Lastly, the wire cover & trunk mat are integrated together.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1956-67 wire covers will all interchange with each other because they all share the same basic shape.

1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring Covers Reply with quote

So, before you go buying a wiring cover, I suggest figuring out what year Beetle you actually have. Some tell tale signs:

#1, what style fuel tank do you have installed?
#2, does your car have the small metal tabs to attach a wire cover to? There will be two of them. One just under the glove box, the other behind the speedometer

1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
D. Haviland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring Covers Reply with quote

After 57 there will be 2 threaded studs for knurled nuts for wire cover. 56-57 Will have threaded holes in brackets for knurled bolts. Pre 56 will have no bracket to mount wire cover as wire cover is integral part of trunk liner. Post 57 wire cover will fit 56-57.
Joe Bence
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring Covers Reply with quote

D. Haviland wrote:
After 57 there will be 2 threaded studs for knurled nuts for wire cover. 56-57 Will have threaded holes in brackets for knurled bolts.

They did not go to studs and nuts until 61

www.facebook.com/JoeBenceEnterprises
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bndouglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring Covers Reply with quote

Can someone suggest the type of staples used and the spacing?
thanks
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring Covers Reply with quote

I made "staples" from .040 inch (1 mm) galvanized baling wire, approx. 14mm wide. There are 10 staples on the horizontal seam, spaced approx. 50mm apart and 7 staples on the vertical seam. Spacing varies on the vertical seam; the 4 closest to the tank are 50mm apart, while the top 3 are unevenly spaced, with the top staple approximately 20mm below the row of staples along the horizontal seam.

Since these wiring covers were pieced together by hand, the spacing and overlap varies from car to car. On the original liners from both my Nov '54 and Jan '55 cars, the left half overlaps the right half of the trunk liner, and both overlap the wiring cover. All staples are oriented horizontally (left-to-right).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: