Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rust in door. Treating vs. replacement
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iggy1492
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Rust in door. Treating vs. replacement Reply with quote

I am fixing up my 1974 super. I aim to get it painted soon but I see rust in one of the doors and I am not sure if it is something that can be fixed, like applying rust converter and weld a piece of metal, or if it calls for a door replacement. I am hoping for the first option. Words of advise are welcome. this is a daily driver super. see pics
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust in door. Treating vs. replacement Reply with quote

Anything can be fixed/saved, but it is always easier to start with a better part. Your door is probably rusting through on the outside too. I would look for a used door that can be prepared for paint easier/better. Nothing wrong with stripping this door down and cutting/welding on it though.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Rust in door. Treating vs. replacement Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Anything can be fixed/saved, but it is always easier to start with a better part. Your door is probably rusting through on the outside too. I would look for a used door that can be prepared for paint easier/better. Nothing wrong with stripping this door down and cutting/welding on it though.

What Mike sez.
That door is past "treating"; it needs welding. If you've got the skill & time & tools & just love welding, it may be salvageable.

I'd' find a better door. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Iggy1492
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust in door. Treating vs. replacement Reply with quote

Thank you both for your advise. I will call my local vw salvage yard to check if they have a decent door. in the meantime I will start cutting the door as a bug experiment.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust in door. Treating vs. replacement Reply with quote

That is the type of rust...that muriatic acid is superb on. Its waaay too deep and crusty for phosphoric acid treatment or other rust converters.

Muriatic acid will dissolve it down to bare metal. Neutralize it...and then you can wee what metal is thick enough to weld and what needs to be trimmed away to do welding patches.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust in door. Treating vs. replacement Reply with quote

Iggy1492 wrote:
Thank you both for your advise. I will call my local vw salvage yard to check if they have a decent door. in the meantime I will start cutting the door as a bug experiment.

You have a local VW salvage yard? Shocked
Me jealous! Drool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust in door. Treating vs. replacement Reply with quote

I had the same issue with my sunroof. I opted to buy a new one instead. When I cut away the outer layer of metal skin there was TONS of rust where I could not see.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: